Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Stubbs View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what about "marine" deep cycle batteries makes them "not true deep cycle"?
Any battery that has a CCA rating is not a true deep cycle.. they have thinner plates to give up the energy more quickly for starting applications.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
Yes I would like to know how to measure Dod also? As soon as I unplug my panel on the inside of the trailer drops to 2/3's in a matter of a minute or less. I know that it is not 66% at that point. They should have better gauges for all the tanks and battery read outs instead of the E,1/3,2/3 and full measurements.
The battery read out levels are: Discharged, 1/2, Full and Charging. A 3 lamp indication is normal when not on shore power.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #23

ALot of times where we camp the generator run time restrictions are only two hours in the morning starting at 8AM and then more time starting again at 4:30PM.

I will always start my battery charging at 8AM using the on-board converter/charger being run my 2KW generator and usually in the two hour time frame I can get down to the 13.6VDC CHARGE Mode in that amount of smart mode charging time.

Then I will have to wait until 4:30PM before being allowed to run my generator again. It of course starts all over again but quickly gets to the 13.6VDC charge mode and finishes it 90% charge state in about another two hour generator run time.

My primary goal of course is to have a 90% charge state on my 255AHs battery bank setup before I start the evening run off the batteries otherwise I will not get the battery performance I want to see. Nothing worse for us to see our battery quickly goto 50% charge state before 8AM the next morning. Not a good idea reverting to flashlights and candles.

Doesn't seem to bother anything battery wise when I do the double charge periods...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Owen Stubbs,

Rather then attempt to explain it myself, I found the following explanation summarized it rather well:

""So-called “marine” batteries are an attempt to make a compromise design that combines the characteristics of starting and deep cycling. As with most compromises, they aren’t great for either need, but they may be suitable for some RV battery situations. A marine battery trades a lower CCA rating for somewhat better deep cycle performance. It’s main advantage is that it is a variation of a starting battery and can be produced by the same manufacturing process, making it a less expensive battery than a true deep cycle.""

Source: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/best-r...osing-reviews/

Bob
Thanks Bob. My experience with marine batteries is that you can buy starting, deep cycle or hybrid batteries. The hybrid matches the description you provided. Are deep cycle batteries 6 volt only?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Stubbs View Post
Thanks Bob. My experience with marine batteries is that you can buy starting, deep cycle or hybrid batteries. The hybrid matches the description you provided. Are deep cycle batteries 6 volt only?
No, they also come in 12 volt. There are only a couple companies that I'm aware of that produce true deep cycle batteries. US battery and Trojan are among the more popular. As someone else mentioned, if it has a CCA rating it is NOT a true deep cycle.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
No, they also come in 12 volt. There are only a couple companies that I'm aware of that produce true deep cycle batteries. US battery and Trojan are among the more popular. As someone else mentioned, if it has a CCA rating it is NOT a true deep cycle.
Good to know - thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
ALot of times where we camp the generator run time restrictions are only two hours in the morning starting at 8AM and then more time starting again at 4:30PM.

I will always start my battery charging at 8AM using the on-board converter/charger being run my 2KW generator and usually in the two hour time frame I can get down to the 13.6VDC CHARGE Mode in that amount of smart mode charging time.

Then I will have to wait until 4:30PM before being allowed to run my generator again. It of course starts all over again but quickly gets to the 13.6VDC charge mode and finishes it 90% charge state in about another two hour generator run time.

My primary goal of course is to have a 90% charge state on my 255AHs battery bank setup before I start the evening run off the batteries otherwise I will not get the battery performance I want to see. Nothing worse for us to see our battery quickly goto 50% charge state before 8AM the next morning. Not a good idea reverting to flashlights and candles.

Doesn't seem to bother anything battery wise when I do the double charge periods...

Roy Ken
I noticed that you have 3 85 AH batteries which i assume are Group 24s. Are you using marine DC batteries or are they true deep cycle batteries. The reason I ask is to try to gauge what should be there life expectancy. I at present have marine 24s that are approaching 3 years old. They seem to be OK but will probably change them out this winter with bigger batteries. Your past experience would be a big help.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #28

Dry Camping; 12V system; Cpap; deep cycle batteries; Need Help

We have had our 2015 x20e for two weeks now and will be doing our first dry camping next weekend.

We have (2) 6V deep cycle (Interstate) batteries running in series and no generator.

• We hope to be able to run the fan for the furnace a few hours each night;
  • use some (not all) of the LED lights;
  • need to power a Cpap.
Do you think this wil work? Even if we only get one night each, we can recharge from the TV if needed during the day, and we are only staying out two nights.

How much power (amps? watts? . .?) do these batteries hold? If I knew that, I might be able to figure this out for myself.

Also, we can disconnect the humidifier from the c-pap.

There is a 12V port for the TV - can that be used for plugging in the Cpap (Resmed) and, if so, what do I need to do that? Some sort of adapter or a new cord, or?

Also, what does Dod mean? and what is the easiest to use or install battery meter?

If you didn't already know, RV'ing is brand new to us.

Thanks,
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #29

ELA1948 - My Interstate's are the ones the trailer folks provide with their trailers... SRM24 12VDC Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery. They have a CCA rating so that makes them the hybrid types...

I am planning to start looking to replace these this coming season. These were installed in late 2008 and I have done well by them since then. I originally had four installed but lost one right away when using my on-board ELIXIR non smart mode converter and boiled out the fluids in one SRM24 battery. That is when I switched to a WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution Panel and PD9260C 60AMP Smart Mode Converter/charger. My three SRM24 batteries will demand right at 53AMPS total DC CURRENT when hit with 14.4VDC when I start charging with the PD9260C unit.

The thing I feel that has kept me afloat is watching the 12VDC level on my my homemade monitor panel. I have planned things out to not ever drop the observed DC Volts below the 12.0VDC by 8AM the next morning level where I am usually allowed to use my generator to run my trailer on-board smart mode converter/charger unit and recharge my three SRM24 Interstate batteries back up to their 90% charge state in a three hour generator run time...

The TRIMETRIC RV2025-RV Battery monitor is also a great monitor to use as it has settable ALARMS. It could start alarming when your battery bank drops down to 12.0VDC for instance...

Once you get into the routine of things it all becomes a non issue when camping off the power grid. Our setup pulls around 20AMPs DC CURRENT from 8PM to 11PM and of course we always have a 1-2AMPs parasitic drain with the trailer. By 8AM the next morning our 255AH SRM24 batteries are just now showing the 12.0VDC voltage level if we start out with at least 90% charge state 12.5-12.6 DC VOLTs each evening.

We are able to light up our camp site just like we do at regular camp ground setups. Watch HDTV very night haha... Been doing this alot since 2009

If i can afford it I am planning on getting two groups of Trojan T-1275s 12VDC batteries with one group on the trailer tongue and the second group in the back of my truck bed. This will give 300AHs in both setups to use by them self or 600AHs if paralleled when in camping mode. I can almost do the same thing with two groups of Trojan T105s 6VDC batteries... 225Ahs by them self or 450AHs when connected together when camping...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
We have had our 2015 x20e for two weeks now and will be doing our first dry camping next weekend.

First question, Do you have a VOLT/Ohm meter or any meter (for next weekend). The most important thing is that you NEED to monitor your batteries voltage, and make sure that the voltage does not drop below 12 Volts. Going lower than 12 Volts will shorten your battery life, and they will lose the ability to hold a charge... $$$$$. Eventually (sooner before later) you will want to get a reliable battery monitor. There are plenty of suggestions on the forum.

We have (2) 6V deep cycle (Interstate) batteries running in series and no generator.

Are the batteries the GC2-SHD? (220Ah), needed to figure out how much power you have..
  • We hope to be able to run the fan for the furnace a few hours each night; This is a real battery drainer, set the thermostat LOW, cuddle and use blankets!
  • use some (not all) of the LED lights;
  • need to power a Cpap. (Is this run off an inverter or plugged directly into the DC accessory outlet? Are you using the humidifier with it? That is about 5 amps)
  • Are you using an inverter to watch TV?
  • Shower at night? Shower together save water! (Water Pump runs a lot)

Do you think this wil work? Even if we only get one night each, we can recharge from the TV if needed during the day, and we are only staying out two nights. (The TV will charge your batteries but would have to run for awhile, as there is the problem of a small wire between the TV and the trailer, which limits the amount of charge. Should get you to 90%)

How much power (amps? watts? . .?) do these batteries hold? If I knew that, I might be able to figure this out for myself.

Also, we can disconnect the humidifier from the c-pap. (Good idea, check to see how much battery you have left in the morning and you can see if you can use the humidifier the next night...)

There is a 12V port for the TV - can that be used for plugging in the Cpap (Resmed) and, if so, what do I need to do that? Some sort of adapter or a new cord, or? (You need to check the transformer that supplies the DC power to your unit, if it is a 12VDC power supply you can purchase a accessory plug cord form Radio Shack and the same kind of plug that plugs into the unit suppling the 12 volts. Radio shack has both. Some newer units are 24VDC, which could be done with DC-DC converters, that is another story)

Also, what does Dod mean? and what is the easiest to use or install battery meter? (DOD is the Depth of Discharge, is used to calculate the number of cycles you will get out of the batteries. They usually use 20%, 50% and 80% as targets. In your case you will want to use the 50%, which for a 12 volt system is close to 12VDC. There are charts on the forum you can search for that go into detail. Soooo, if you have a 220Ah battery bank (2) 6 volt batteries you really only can use 120Ah of the 220AH (for the 50%), so if there is a lot of dry-camping in your future you should plan on a system that is 2x what you need. If necessary you can add additional batteries (same model/Ah) in the future. You will need to purchase a Trimetric product from Bogart Engineering products to give you a GOOD indication as to what the battery status is.

After you get your dry-camping life style worked out (which will take awhile, and you have a few bucks to invest, you may want to look at SOLAR or a generator for the TT. You are eventually going to need a back up power supply

You may want to crank up the TV in the evening to throw a little booster charge in the batteries to get you through the night. You should do just fine...
If you didn't already know, RV'ing is brand new to us.

Thanks,
Good luck!!!

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #31

After a few camping trips with a cpac, I bought another size 27, and use it to power the machine. Found it simpler to keep that power drain separate from the tt.

You may check out batteriesstuff.com . I used their battery rejuvenator on my old interstate 27's,, and was surprised at the performance increase.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #32

Don & Roy's comments are right on the mark!!! Until you have got your feet wet, I might suggest t5hat you put a DC power port (Cigarette lighter adapter) in your line where you can plug in your CPAP machine. You can then buy a DC voltage meter that will give you voltage when the CPAP is not in use. You can buy both of those for less then $15 on Amazon. It's no where near as informative as the Trimetric battery monitor but will keep you in the ball park while you are deciding how much dry camping you want to do.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #33

What brand are you using? If its a Remstar, they make a battery attachment kit and run it directly from there. Ask your home care company, and they can probably hook you up. When I got my new one, I called, and they sent me one. I have not used it yet, but its good to know I have what I need if needed.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #34

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my plea. I am not surprised that this is more complex than I had (naively) hoped so I need to do some reading. For now, we are going to see how far we get on our batteries and go from there. I will call the cpap manufacturer (Resmed S9) and we might consider getting some sort of power pack for the cpap itself.

Will report back. Again, thanks.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #35

Usually the power packs are not very good, and very depending on your settings. I am a Respiratory Therapist, and have a lot of experience with these. The best thing is to get a good deep cycle battery and straight connect to get the most out of it.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #36

If you do nothing else this trip, get a digital multimeter to help you understand how much battery you have left. As you have probably figured out from the post, you do not drop below 12 volt. You will shorten the life of some pretty expensive batteries if you allow them to discharge too far. In truth it can be a lot of fun learning HOW to dry camp!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #37

I have a second Group 27 battery dedicated to my CPAP. I leave home fully charged and use it to power my machine if we dry camp. Then during travel to another site, I jumper the batteries together so my truck charges both batteries as I drive. Once the second battery is at full charge I pull the jumpers. On a full charge, I was able to get 4 nights on the CPAP without recharging.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote