Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Yep, I'm aware of all that. I specifically mentioned the front cap and they pointed to the extensive use of metal framing for the cap that eliminates the sagging that they say overtime affects most caps and creates the leaks along the seams. They said eventually the non-metal supported ones will all start to pull away from the frame in some fashion.

So I'm not sure if that's accurate or half accurate or what. I'td be nice if they put that solid cap on their supposedly superior framing though.

I'm hung up on the jacks for sure - they are nice. I'd have to add them after-market.

I also brought up the J-ride extensively. They said the ride has a lot to do with the weight balance and geometry of the rig. So I said fine, let me take one for a drive on Friday. So we'll see. I can always add the shocks, the Winnie has a airbag system in the rear. No sway bar though, however I do have a better wheel base ratio so I'm not sure how much it would help (or not).

They tell me the Winnebago has all cabinets and appliances and furniture moored into metal framing which cuts down on the creaks and groans along the way. I'll see first hand about that too.
The J-Ride package includes Bilstein shocks, Hellwig helper springs, Mor-Ryde body isolators, Hellwig anti-sway bar. The "weight balance" and "geometry" of the E-450 chassis is fixed from Ford. The only thing the RV manufacturer can do is control where they mount items in the chassis i.e. side to side balance and front rear balance as well as how low the items are to the floor i.e. how top heavy the unit is. Without a sway bar and without the helper springs the unit simply does not have the same measure of safety that one with them has. In high winds or with sharp corners the unit will sway without a sway control bar. There is no substitute.

Let's think of this a different way. Jayco includes the J-Ride package which adds about 500# or so to the weight approximately and the Bigfoot automatic leveling system adds another 500# of weight. This means that you are right back at the same CCC as you would get with the Greyhawk. keep in mind that the aftermarket leveling systems will weigh more and be more complicated and less integrated than a factory installed system. I spent over two years considering what to do about the jump from a TT to a MH and we looked at over 100 RVs and I spent well over 100 hours of research into the best equipped and best performing unit in our price range. I kept coming back to the Jayco because no one else is doing what they are. You can get a comparable unit to the Winnebago in the Redhawk with similar CCC as the Winnebago but with Jayco's higher quality including the one piece front cap. If you are concerned about CCC I would stay away from any E-450 based platform unless you are considering a short B+. The Class A gassers are on the F-53 chassis which has much more CCC and GVRW than the E-450. There are many Class A motorhomes in a similar price range that have much higher CCC than the E-450. Funny thing they still use the Triton V10 and Ford 5 speed transmission but are on a completely different frame and axle setup. Best of luck with your search!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #22

My ‘12 Greyhawk came with a sticker inside the front door that said it weighed 12,000 when it left the factory, full of fuel and propane, but no water. The big foot jacks were part of the package from Jayco, so I assume included in that weight. That left me 2,500#, to cover the dealer options which included a Roadmaster hitch, 75#, and a slide awning 50#, and that should leave plenty for the wife and I plus the food and other stuff we put in the storage bays. I do not travel with water in the tanks. But I haven't weighed it, and plan to do that soon.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Keilman View Post
My ‘12 Greyhawk came with a sticker inside the front door that said it weighed 12,000 when it left the factory, full of fuel and propane, but no water. The big foot jacks were part of the package from Jayco, so I assume included in that weight. That left me 2,500#, to cover the dealer options which included a Roadmaster hitch, 75#, and a slide awning 50#, and that should leave plenty for the wife and I plus the food and other stuff we put in the storage bays. I do not travel with water in the tanks. But I haven't weighed it, and plan to do that soon.
Wow my new '14 has much less CCC!
New setup:
Old 05-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #24

I watch mine close. We weighed full tanks and our stuff. Only me and wife. 300 under but that is not a lot.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #25

I finally weighed my '12 31SS. 13,280# with passengers, all the gear., full propane and fuel. Minimal water in the tank, maybe 1/4. I did not weigh front vs rear. But suspect it's close to or over on the rear.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #26

Yes I unofficially weighed my 2014 Greyhawk fully loaded on a trip and we were about 14,000#. We had to pack very light compared to our old TT. I'm doing everything I can to reduce weight so we don't go over max GVWR.
New setup: