Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Smile 2011 Melbourne 28F

I recently took delivery of a Melbourne 28F. I have been looking for five years and finally bit the bullet. On her maiden voyage we were suprised by several very loud bangs, liks someone taking a large hammer and after a full swing bouncing it off the differential. We found that the Helwig springs were too far back and hanging on a frame crossmember on both sides. The sound was unbelievable. That doesn't bother me much now that I know what it is, and Jayco has said they will take care of it; but until I found that problem it was an interesting ride. Another issue is there is no spare tire, and no where to mount one. Jayco says there is no provision and my dealer says they don't know. Anyone out there who has a 28F know where I can hang a spare? Other than that she is a great ride. I have had Jayco RVs for 15 years, and they have served me well.
billayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! If you have a second, come on over to the new member area and also introduce yourself so the whole forum gets to meet you. I don't have a Class C so I can't answer your questions, but I am sure there are some folks here that can!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #3

As for spare - when I picked up my 31SS I was told (by the dealer) that Jayco does not endorse owners changing tires on larger units - call a tow truck. While I find this a great demonstration of concern for my safety, I feel that should be my decision. I would prefer to have a spare and don't. I know this doesn't answer your question - but thanks for the opportunity for me to vent (one more time)..If you get a solution for mounting/carrying a spare please pass it on - it might work on my 31SS.

Happy Camping
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billayers View Post
I recently took delivery of a Melbourne 28F. I have been looking for five years and finally bit the bullet. On her maiden voyage we were suprised by several very loud bangs, liks someone taking a large hammer and after a full swing bouncing it off the differential. We found that the Helwig springs were too far back and hanging on a frame crossmember on both sides. The sound was unbelievable. That doesn't bother me much now that I know what it is, and Jayco has said they will take care of it; but until I found that problem it was an interesting ride. Another issue is there is no spare tire, and no where to mount one. Jayco says there is no provision and my dealer says they don't know. Anyone out there who has a 28F know where I can hang a spare? Other than that she is a great ride. I have had Jayco RVs for 15 years, and they have served me well.
I have a 2012 Jayco Melbourne 29D and there is room between the two frame members in the back (under the motorhome) in front of the hitch receiver but you would have to get someone to make a cross member frame of some kind to put a spare tire on. Would not attempt to change a tire myself, but I have roadside assistance and it would be nice to have a spare for them to change for you. Am still trying to figure out how to mount a spare. You can get a spare carrier that goes into your hitch receiver, but if you tow a vehicle that won't work. Good luck.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #5

Spare

Jayco must have recently discontinued spares....I have a 2010 29D Jayco Melbourne (Feb-2010) and it has a full matching spare just ahead of the hitch. It is lowered by a crank. This was already there when purchased.
Dave A
Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

I feel your pain. I didn't have a spare when I got my 2011 31SS. Complained to the dealer as you did with the same result. I had to get a wheel from a parts dealer and got a used tire mounted and balanced. Presently carrying it in the rear pass-through storage compartment until I can figure out the best way to mount it.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

We too experienced some spring issues in our 2007 29c. We took the unit to a spring shot in reponse to an incredibly stiff ride, and noisy one to boot. Lots of banging, knocking, especially when excellerating from a stop, or when the weight of the unit shifted from right to left. When we took it to a highly recommended spring shop they were astounded that Jayco would install the "helper" or overload springs the way they were installed. They recommended removing the helper springs and adding a couple leafs to the main spring pack. We also opted to add the MOR/ryde suspension system to soften the ride. The resulting ride is MUCH improved. The ride through Arkansas is still not enjoyable, but at least it's bearable now. We highly recommend MOR/ryde products, and if you are having similar issues w/ your Melbourne, I would recommend taking it to a spring shop to evaluate.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

We figured out where the noise was on my Melbourne. The back section of the Helwig Helper springs were catching on a frame cross member, unloading the U-bolt and then popping off the cross member and loading the spring "BANG". The fix from Jayco was to take a skinny wheel and cut off 1/4" of the spring/ Helwig recommended that we move the spring forward 1/2" and solve the problem. Haven't got it back yest so I will let you know. The spare... I will mount it on the back using a piggy back towing receiver.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Well we got the coach back and we have been on several trips. We just finished a 3053 mile trip to Tucson with a stop in Phoenix to watch a NASCAR race. I drove that Ford like it was a rented mule and it was a good trip. The FORD drive-line is great, not impressed with the way it shifts down when cruise is on, jumps from 1800RPM to 5400RPM in a single jump. It may need some computer work. I will ask FORD about that. A recurring problem is a leak in the fresh water system. The first indication of a problem had water dripping out of the port side from the water connect all the way to the front of the coach. I pulled out the outside shower and found a number of loose fittings and a leak I could not fix. Took it in last spring and got an "its fixed" from the dealer. Well it is still leaking. I also complained about the noisy water pump. It's location has it against the battery charger under the bed, so all noise is transmitted right to the floor and it sounds like someone pounding on the floor. They said that was fixed also... no. I also have a spare tire mounted now. I bought a piggy back CURT Ball Mount that I could use a place spare tire carrier carrier into. Now I can tow my car and carry the spare tire on the same mount. Am I happy with the JAYCO? In a word YES. Got as few things to do, and will do that after the 2yr warranty period is over.