Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Long Island to Florida

I was wondering if anybody has taken rte 95 to Delaware rte 1 to 299 west to rte 301 which turns into MD50 and back to rte 95. Is this a good route or should I go the extra miles and go route 81. I wil be going down in the spring.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #2

Have not driven it a while but used to live in that area for many years. Depending on Day & Time Traffic could be heavy getting back across the Bay Bridge. Also not sure how much you would be saving as you are bypassing Baltimore but not DC. Came thru DC last weekend coming home from Fla, most of the Construction is completed and more will be by Spring. But DC depending on Day/time could still be Slow. Unless you get through early in the Day (i.e. before 6:30 am) or a weekend, I would take Rt. 81
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

I think Rte 301 is by far the preferred route. The traffic on the Bay Bridge is heavy primarily on Friday and Sunday evenings. Friday Eastbound towards the beaches and Sunday Westbound towards DC and Baltimore.
Don't take the RTE 299 exit. Rte. 299 runs through Middletown DE and traffic through this relatively small town is a nightmare....

The easiest way is to pay the toll after the Roth Bridge and take the first Exit, Mount Pleasant Boyds corner. Less than a mile.

If you want to avoid the toll: take the exit at the base of the Roth Bridge before the tolls. It will Jug handle you around to RTE 13 S. Take Rte 13 South for about two miles(2 red lights) make a right at the second red light and follow to US 301 S.

Once you get below Middletown RT 301 is a nice drive. Just farmland and very little traffic until you get near or even over the Bay Bridge.

Word of caution: I would make sure I gas up before I get on MD Rte 301. There are no gas stations until Kent Island, just before the Bay Bridge.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Go just a bit further and take the exit for 896 south. After a couple of miles , it turns into 301. Follow 301 down to Bowling Green, Va. and take rt 206 (I think) back over to 95.
That skips all of Baltimore and DC even considering the section of 301 through the populated areas.
Saratoga Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

If you are towing and thinking about going during a break period I would say to pay close attention to the conditions, i.e. snow or heavy rain. Towing that distance I would stick to the highways like 95 or 81. If it's spring break then no way would I go 95. That road is an all out nightmare from start to finish those 2 weeks unless you get out ahead like Wed and come back after on Monday if you have that option. 81S would be my route of choice at 90 miles more. 80W - 287S - 78W - 81S - 77S - 26E - 95S. Nice truck stops along it. Moves from Harrisburg to SC with ease. Charlotte might give you a little trouble if you hit it wrong, but the bypass moves well. 77S has a 4 mile 8+% grade all down hill when you get off 81S if you go that far. 64E puts you back to DC, but that is where you can really get stuck especially when it merges back to 2 lanes in NC.

If you leave LI at midnight and get through DC by 6AM you might be in the clear. Pulling vs driving though is different since you can and will be limited in dump roads once you commit.

Another 4th and final option is this.
DE1 - 113 - 13 - CBBT - 17 to 64W and pick up 95 in Rocky mount, NC. There are lights on this route which can be hard on you towing, but it moves well and has very little traffic with the exception of Norfolk, VA. I have towed it and driven it many a time without much problem and the time is always the same. They are working on the road in Norfolk to expand the bypass making it even faster in that stretch.

I haven't done the 301 route yet, but that is intriguing too me. Nice to have a dump out somewhere south of DC heading north and I will be adding this to my list.

NJT can be a nightmare too!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Yes looking to go for spring break. Leaving on Thursday night. I was wondering even with the extra miles would I end up saving time in the long run going to rte 81. Going nuts deciding.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

If 2nd and leaving after school I can tell you that NJT and 95 south to Baltimore will take you 6-7+ hours easily. It took me once 4.5 hrs to get to the DMBB from the GWB. Never again. Made it to a hotel south of Fredricksburg around 12:30 AM and then the interstate was a parking lot from Fredricksburg south at 7:00AM. I was not going all the way, but just to NC and I wound up dumping off to state roads to move. Lesson learned. I would strongly suggest you looking at timing and build in some cushion. 30+ hours is not unheard of from NY to Orlando during SBreak if you don't adjust from peak times.

81 is only 90 miles more, but you will keep moving. DC and Balitimore on a good day will still yeild stop and go somewhere, plus the tolls are more.

You can only go by way of Key Bridge on 95 south through Baltimore. No tunnels!

The route you orginally suggested might be the best bet if you are leaning at 95 most. Buyer beware though and if stopping make sure you have a plan. Do not do it on the fly as there are never any hotels available close to 95 that week. I've almost seen fist fights breaking out as a result of it.

Perhaps some one will chime in on the 81 route during Spring Break as I am sure it has some volume increases. I have driven it only during the peak summer periods and the only thing that slowed us down was heavy rain.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

I was think about campsites and maybe a flying J for the trip down and back. I am starting to lean towards doing rte 81. Anybody know of traffic flow on 81 during spring break.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

After a lot of thinking I will stick with the plan of rte 301 to 50 back to 95. It looks like going the 81 rte adds to many miles and to much time. I think if I hit the bad areas late at night I might be ok. Time will tell.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #10

Curious how this worked out. Making a trip down to FL from Long Island on Saturday.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #11

Sorry I'm not leaving till Thursday so you can let me know.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #12

If you decide to do I81, at Roanoke, Va. follow 220S to Greensboro and down through Rockingham toward I95. Though there are more turns (assuming you have a GPS), the traffic is tremendously better and the distance and time are about the same as doing I81 to I77. I hate 77 going down the mountain from Va to NC and there are always wrecks plus I'm not a fan of going around Charlotte.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #13

If I was. Coming from the island id go over the outer to 287n to78w to 81s to 15 to 270 695 to 95. Its about an hr longer for ya but you practically have no tolls and avoid all the dc and baltimore traffic. That's how I always do it. I usually leave jersey around 6:30 pm and stop toward va nc line for a nap
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

I just got back from florida. I took 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. I thought it was pretty good. Not many cities that way. Charlotte is better than DC. Except northern penn roads sucked pretty bad. I got on some concrete that pogoed me mercilessly The trailer starts hopping and then so do your kidneys. That combined with real gusty winds made the last two day pretty crappy.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

I just take it safe with less hills.
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #16

Alot of construction on 95 right now through the Baltimore area. Should last until October. They say 28 different lane shifts during this period. Alot of lane shifting and lane closures right around the Ft McHenry tunnel. Use 895 and Harbor Tunnel instead. Some people are apprehensive about driving through the tunnels with a trailer. Use your best judgement. Living here, I can say, you can use 95 through the Baltimore/DC area during non-rush hour traffic hours. But don't get caught through here between 6am-9-am or 4:30pm-6pm. weekly. They also have an express freeway open now through this area. Don't use it. It charges you $1.75 (during peak rush) and $1.45 (during non-peak) to go 8 miles and unless there is a problem like an accident, it's a waste of money. It was designed to alleviate traffic through the congested area of 95/695.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #17

Maryland has restrictions on Propane in the Tunnels, Go around Baltimore on the Key Bridge or Rt. 301.

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Not sure what designates significant amounts of Radioactive Materials
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #18

Came down rte 301 last night wasn't bad don't know if I would do rte 299 part again small little town to many long lights. Got crushed on the capital beltway at 10:30 at night because of construction about an hour to go about 2 miles
Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Trip was good even with a blow out on 95 in SC which I got lucky it didn't tear up the camper. Then thankfully I stopped and grabbed another tire because I got a flat on the opposite side of camper in VA. Guy on a motor cycle told me before it got a chance to shred.

Just a tip if you are doing the drive down south gas up in VA and SC. The gas in NC is about 35 cents more a gallon.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #20

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one losing tires on 95