Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Hot water heater

Going on my second camping trip with new HTT. Fixed water leak issue from our maiden voyage last month so we couldn't use any water source. I have a few questions - when you hook up city water to the inlet does the hot water heater automatically fill up? When you break camp do you empty hot water tank? If you empty hot water tank, which valve dumps the water?
diver57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Hey diver,
The water heater will not auto-fill when you connect to the city water. You can fill it by opening a hot water tap in the TT or opening the relief valve on the heater until water comes out (this is faster).
I do not empty the water heater when departing unless it will be a couple of months before we are using it, some folks report the water can get a little "skunky" if it sits in the tank too long. To drain, open the outside access hatch and remove the plug near the bottom with a socket (3/4 or 7/8 I think) and open the relief valve. If you have an Atwood heater the plug should be a white-ish plastic (nylon I think). USE CAUTION IF THE WATER IS HOT! (learned this the hard way). Carefully re-thread the plug when it's empty - I say carefully because they are easy to cross-thread. I learned this the hard way also so I now keep a spare in the "spares box". A little water will remain in the tank but it's nothing to worry about.
Which HTT do you have?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - just bought my first HTT and I'm learning a lot on the forum. I appreciate the answer to my questions.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

I empty my hot water tank every time I leave. At 8 lbs a gallon I figure I don't need the extra 48 pounds pounding on the frame all the way home. There are mods out there that show how to put a valve on the drain plug to make draining it very easy.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

How long does it take to fill the tank? And if I open the relief valve - look like water will spray all over the internal parts.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Won't take long, maybe 15-30 seconds. And, yeah, it'll gush over the internals. If you listen you'll hear it nearing the top and can close the valve enough to slow the flow down so less will spill. I don't recall if the overflow is threaded or not (thinking to use a garden hose). If it isn't maybe some heater hose from the automotive shop to divert the overflow. I don't worry too much about the overflow.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #7

My water heater tank fills no problem when filling from city water providing I leave the relief valve open until water starts coming out. I do the same when filling from the on board fresh water using the pump. I just like knowing most of the trapped air is out of it before opening the taps, takes less time to work the air out of the lines.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

New to the forum, great stuff here. I have done a few mods and will post pictures and details when I can. I have installed the Hott Rod electric water heater which uses the drain plug for the anode, removing this to drain is not that easy.

Does the low point drain only remove hot water from the lines? Before I leave the camp ground I open all three drain plugs and keep them open as I drive.
joezaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

If you leave your faucet open the tank will start to fill up, and then the lines will fill. You don't have to hold open the relief valve. First you will hear air, they you'll start to get water and air, then all water. IT only takes a couple of minutes.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezaw View Post

Does the low point drain only remove hot water from the lines? Before I leave the camp ground I open all three drain plugs and keep them open as I drive.
Leave the faucets open as well.
That way there won't be a vacuum lock and more water will drain out.