Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Wink Perfect morning

While anxiously waiting for our first camp out in our first travel trailor, I have Been daydreaming about what that first morning will be like and this is how I see it unfolding. . . . Waking up under my down duvet and home made Stars and stripes quilt (Iam a true Canadian but there is something special about red white and blue) made especially for the camper. . .putting the overnight caramel sticky buns into the oven ( remember its Canada eh and warming up the oven in the morning helps take the chill off) and turning on the percolator (nothing beats the sound of coffee percolating in the morning). Then crawling back into the warm bed and reading a good mystery till the buns and coffee are ready. Of course a great hike in the outdoors to off set the calories later in the morning would be just about perfect.

Anyone out there with their idea of a perfect camping morning to share ....

( If anyone is interested in that overnight caramel buns made froM frozen bread dough, I'd be glad to share)
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
While anxiously waiting for our first camp out in our first travel trailor, I have Been daydreaming about what that first morning will be like and this is how I see it unfolding. . . . Waking up under my down duvet and home made Stars and stripes quilt (Iam a true Canadian but there is something special about red white and blue) made especially for the camper. . .putting the overnight caramel sticky buns into the oven ( remember its Canada eh and warming up the oven in the morning helps take the chill off) and turning on the percolator (nothing beats the sound of coffee percolating in the morning). Then crawling back into the warm bed and reading a good mystery till the buns and coffee are ready. Of course a great hike in the outdoors to off set the calories later in the morning would be just about perfect.

Anyone out there with their idea of a perfect camping morning to share ....

( If anyone is interested in that overnight caramel buns made froM frozen bread dough, I'd be glad to share)
I'm up and ready for the sticky buns... !

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

That really sounds like a perfect morning.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
I'm up and ready for the sticky buns... !
Had one request so will post here as well enjoy!

CARAMEL ROLLS

1 loaf frozen bread dough sliced thin (If it’s too frozen to slice you can mic it for half a min or so)
3 oz pkg regular butterscotch pudding (not instant)
½ cup melted margarine
½ cup Brown sugar
½ cup chopped nuts ( I used Pecans)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Place rolls in bundt pan sprinkle dry pudding over rolls. Pour melted margarine over all. Mix together ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup chopped nuts, ½ tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over buns Cover with towel and leave overnight. Bake 350 for 15 min 325 for 10 min. Run knife around edge and invert on plate for 3-4 min. remove pan.

Note: I was looking at the oven in our Jayco 23J and thought that the bunt pan would be too tall so I tried making the buns at home using a cake pan (9 by 11) and it worked good too. You could probably do half a bread roll in a small square cake pan as well (specially its only two of you) but I would probably not bother halving the rest of the stuff, it would just make it more yummy
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Every morning in the camper is special.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

You know, I'm starting to think that way also.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #7

I enjoyed reading your post. We really enjoy going into the states with our trailer. The people we meet are always friendly and over the years we have made numerous friends south of boarder. My wife and I hike in the areas we go to, and on the slower days we enjoy riding our bikes , going for walks, and taking in the local attractions. We live very close to the boarder and will be shopping for a new comforter for the trailer in January.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
Had one request so will post here as well enjoy!

CARAMEL ROLLS

1 loaf frozen bread dough sliced thin (If it’s too frozen to slice you can mic it for half a min or so)
3 oz pkg regular butterscotch pudding (not instant)
½ cup melted margarine
½ cup Brown sugar
½ cup chopped nuts ( I used Pecans)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

[Snip]
That recipe looks great and I really enjoy cooking. It relaxes me and the DW doesn't seem to mind that I reign supreme in the kitchen. LOL!

I will definitely give this a try.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Every morning in the camper is special.
^X1000 Every day at the campground and every night around the fire as well!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

I can also remember those good ole younger days. Shoveling out the horse trailer so we had some place to sleep away from the bears and mountain lions. The rain coming in through the open slats on the sides. Waking up and smelling like a horse all day. It was great fun though. Having a great breakfast, riding all day in the mountains, then on Monday morning we could hardly walk.

Lots of memories.

Happy New Year to everyone on the forum.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I enjoyed reading your post. We really enjoy going into the states with our trailer. The people we meet are always friendly and over the years we have made numerous friends south of boarder. My wife and I hike in the areas we go to, and on the slower days we enjoy riding our bikes , going for walks, and taking in the local attractions. We live very close to the boarder and will be shopping for a new comforter for the trailer in January.
make sure it's a real down duvet there's a lot of Imposters out there,but there's nothing like the mix of softness yet crisp texture of duck or goose, not to mention the lightness and the fact that it can be cool in the summers yet warm in the cooler temps.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post
I can also remember those good ole younger days. Shoveling out the horse trailer so we had some place to sleep away from the bears and mountain lions. The rain coming in through the open slats on the sides. Waking up and smelling like a horse all day. It was great fun though. Having a great breakfast, riding all day in the mountains, then on Monday morning we could hardly walk.

Lots of memories.

Thanks for sharing that memory, I can almost hear the rain (which I also love ) and smell the hay! i will add one more picture to my perfect morning and that would be playing scrabble in bed (on the iPad) on a rainy morning
Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #13

You are all making me hungry!
I love to get up early and take my coffee and sit on the overlook deck to watch the seals, porpoises and the fishermen checking their traps from Megunticuck Campground in Camden Hills,Maine. Once the family wakes up, it time to make pancakes for the grandson!
Wherever we camp, I always get up early and sit where I can watch the wildlife as I have my morning coffee.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

I can't wait to be in the camper next week and perking my coffee! No buns, though, I'm limiting my carb intake.

Whats a Quahog doing in Texas?

Cyndi and co.
cyndiandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post

Lots of memories.

Now you can get one of these, haul the horses, not get rained on, no shoveling, and not smell like em`! For only a small fee of course.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=5259
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndiandco View Post
I can't wait to be in the camper next week and perking my coffee! No buns, though, I'm limiting my carb intake.

Whats a Quahog doing in Texas?

Cyndi and co.
Hey, I had to come here for great BBQ, TexMex, warmer winters, less taxes, and a better job. That was 30 years ago. I guess you could say I am a transplanted clam.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #17

Wyotraveler, I certainly can relate to your horse trailer beginnings in camping. We started out with a 13-foot box on wheels (13 feet counting the hitch !) and even had a portable chemical potty, as there was none built in. The DW and myself, plus a 5-year old daughter hardly had room enough to turn around, but it was a great experience none the less, and we have never doubted our decision to keep upgrading as $$ would allow.

We also wish everyone a Happy New Year, and keep on campin' !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #18

I agree with one and all....every day spent in our camper is a great day. Something about being in the campground, the smell of an early morning fire, coffee perking, and bacon sizzling with sound of hushed voices as people start to rise, just brings me back to happy days with my family camping in vermont as a youngster...Now I'm so fortunate I get to share that with my own kids..Camping is the one place Im the happiest.
Happy new year to all!
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACA6151 View Post
I agree with one and all....every day spent in our camper is a great day. Something about being in the campground, the smell of an early morning fire, coffee perking, and bacon sizzling with sound of hushed voices as people start to rise, just brings me back to happy days with my family camping in vermont as a youngster...Now I'm so fortunate I get to share that with my own kids..Camping is the one place Im the happiest.
Happy new year to all!
Very nicely written.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #20

I know you were talking of the perfect morning, humor me if you will, why I tell you about our final weekend of this year. Was going to be the last weekend of of October at the KOA about an hour from home. They always have a few "halloween" weekends and we try to take advantage as my wife runs a youth center and is always working halloween. So when we camp she is able to trick or treat with our young twins. This weekend was planned well in advance and when we heard there might be a chance of snow, that did not detur us. We arrived, CG was packed on Friday evening, by 2pm saturday we were one of about 25 familes still there. It snowed and it snowed. Got about 13 inches in the capground. It was so peaceful standing by the fire as the snow fell all around. I love a to enjoy a cigar and a ****tail while sitting by the fire, and this nite as the snow piled up it was gorgeous. when it got to much to stay outside, our camper was warm and inviting, and watching the snow fall outside was amazing.
Most people thought we were crazy, but we all just loved it. (not too much fun trying to pack up and get out the following day, trees were bent over, had to leave the camper till the next weekend...but so worth it)
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote