Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Added Satellite TV jack for Bedroom

For the longest time now we have had a coax cable hanging down from the satellite receiver in the bedroom. The coax was routed under the bed into the storage compartment and then hanging out of a compartment door to connect to the dish. It works but looked lousy.

Yesterday I finally bought an exterior jack and mounted it. I ran the coax into the wall behind the television using the existing box for the antenna coax line. I temporarily removed the heater vent below in order to fish that line into the bathroom under the sink behind the lower cabinet door. Then, I NERVOUSLY drilled a 1 inch hole into the floor through to the outside. Dropped the coax through and screwed it to the backside of the newly mounted exterior jack. Finally, filled the hole I made with some expanding foam.

It all looks professional now and there is no evidence that I did anything. No exposed coax and it all looks like it just came like this when I bought it.

I should have done this a long time ago. I was just very skittish about drilling through the floor of a newly purchased RV. Fortunately nothing "bad" happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410968075.253994.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	15234Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410968083.720444.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	15235Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410968094.752863.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	15236
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411043976.167607.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	15246
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #3

Outstanding! I did one similar, and drilling that hole is a real nerve racking experience.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

I did the same thing on a unit we kept for ten years to have a second satellite receiver in the bedroom. I was really scared so let the dealer do it for me and they only charged $25 plus parts. So I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

Ran mine thru the wall under the bathroom cabinet. Mounted the thru the wall coax connection device near the fresh water inlet connection. Fished the coax up thru the bedroom wall and replaced the single connection outlet plate with a dual plate, one for the trailer ant connection and the other for the direct sat hook-up.

Anyone have suggestions for locking down a swing arm TV mount in the bedroom. Mine doesn't have a "locked" position to hold the unit tight during travel. Have been removing the small tv and laying it on the bed. Have a couple ways to rig the arm to the wall, but nothing that I feel real strongly about. Ideas??
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Nice job... We did the same thing for years running two RG cables in from our Portable Tripod DISH with two ports setup. One RF cable went to the living room area and the other RF cable went to the bedroom area. There we hooked up to a SAT RCVR we brought in from the house for each area and then connected the VIDEO OUTPUT cables to the HDTV sets.

Worked great but had to setup everytime we went somewhere. Then there was always the treat of someone stealing our TRIPOD Dish when we left it all outside unattended.

When the Digital BROADCAST system came out we finally just left all of the SAT STUFF at home and now use the digital TV broadcasts from the local towns... We get pretty good HDTV just about anywhere we go here on the East side of the US. Most all we watch is the news and NCIS haha... If we really want to watch something from the CABLE side we can always downstream it to the computer.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Ran mine thru the wall under the bathroom cabinet. Mounted the thru the wall coax connection device near the fresh water inlet connection. Fished the coax up thru the bedroom wall and replaced the single connection outlet plate with a dual plate, one for the trailer ant connection and the other for the direct sat hook-up.

Anyone have suggestions for locking down a swing arm TV mount in the bedroom. Mine doesn't have a "locked" position to hold the unit tight during travel. Have been removing the small tv and laying it on the bed. Have a couple ways to rig the arm to the wall, but nothing that I feel real strongly about. Ideas??
What you did is pretty much the same as what I had done. But, I drilled through the floor so that my jack mounted to the skirting. I figured at least the hole I made was under the RV and very unlikely to cause any water intrusion issues. I filled the hole with expending foam and it seems pretty water tight.

As for the television, if you look at my pictures what I did was to mount it such that it is basically touching the two walls coming out from the corner where it is mounted. Well, technically touching the valance over the window on the one wall. The television has been mounted that way for close to two years now and we have traveled from Nashville to Florida twice and Myrtle Beach twice (1,000s of miles now). It has never moved a bit and I don't have it strapped to anything. Just a nice snug fit and the mount itself. I can swivel it to the right to access behind it by tilting it up and then it will go over the valance.

I've been pretty happy not having to mess with the television every time we go out. Now, I don't have to move the satellite receiver either and no wires are in my way.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Nice job... We did the same thing for years running two RG cables in from our Portable Tripod DISH with two ports setup. One RF cable went to the living room area and the other RF cable went to the bedroom area. There we hooked up to a SAT RCVR we brought in from the house for each area and then connected the VIDEO OUTPUT cables to the HDTV sets.

Worked great but had to setup everytime we went somewhere. Then there was always the treat of someone stealing our TRIPOD Dish when we left it all outside unattended.

When the Digital BROADCAST system came out we finally just left all of the SAT STUFF at home and now use the digital TV broadcasts from the local towns... We get pretty good HDTV just about anywhere we go here on the East side of the US. Most all we watch is the news and NCIS haha... If we really want to watch something from the CABLE side we can always downstream it to the computer.

Roy Ken
We ended up getting two receivers dedicated to the RV. The dish is at risk of theft but fortunately nothing has happened since we bought it. For that matter, nothing we have left out has ever been taken. I suppose we have been lucky but then we don't leave much out and we spend a lot of time in and around the RV when we travel with it.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #9

Have about $150 invested in the HD dish / tripod so not going to break the bank if someone grabs it. Shame on them. I love seeing the tailgaters sitting near the front of a site. They make a lot more attractive target than my Dish that is usually cabled to a tree or post.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

An easy way to at least deter theft of your satellite dish is to construct a dish mount made out of PVC pipe and set it on top of your trailer when you get set up. No need for leveling, as the camper is level thus negating the need to level the antenna. For iPhone users, download the "dish align" app, and voila! The dish is safe(er) from would be thieves, and you can usually find a signal easier.
jamescorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
We ended up getting two receivers dedicated to the RV. The dish is at risk of theft but fortunately nothing has happened since we bought it. For that matter, nothing we have left out has ever been taken. I suppose we have been lucky but then we don't leave much out and we spend a lot of time in and around the RV when we travel with it.
Likewise for us, we have never had anything turn up missing at our campsite and we have camped for over 30 years and left a lot of stuff out. We have the $100 dollar surveyor tripod from tv4rv and it has been with us for years. It has a big heavy direct TV dish on top so probably more trouble than it is worth to take it.
I also put in the second satellite connection for the bedroom in our previous units. However, in this fifth wheel unit, the TV is way up high so not sure if I'm going to do that again with this unit.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote