Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Both Equalizer and Reese Dual Cam are both excellent WDH. I do not think you can go wrong with either. You should not be white knockle driving all the time. Sometimes in special circumstances that is a different story (ex construction zones). It is absolutely critical that the hitch is setup correctly. The only time I had any sway issue with our current setup was with an extremely high head wind and I did not check my tire pressures before leaving and found them about 5 psi low when we got to our destination. I always check tire pressures now as I believe it is critical to good handling.

Best of luck.
I am inclined to lean towards a low end dealer supplied hitch issue.. Before every outing I check all tires and such. When adjusting the WDH my TV is level and my TT is slightly angled down in front. When we are running 45 - 50 on back roads..(Not the interstate) the rig seems to run just fine, but once I get up onto the interstate and hit the 55ish mark any passing vehicle, especially big trucks, any winds over about 10mph and the trailer "jinks" around a bit much for my liking. Maybe I am just a weenie but I do think I should have a bit better control going down the road..

Oh, and apologies to the OP.. Didn't mean to hijack the thread...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

One thing to remember is the suck and push will always be there.

Sway in my opinion is a different phenomenon.

I think of sway is when the trailer pivots side to side from my TV. I have never experienced this with my current set up (thanks to the Equal-i-zer)

what you experience from passing rigs is a different thing. That is the whole setup being sucked in and then pushed out.

I make sure to keep an eye on my side view and see what is flying up. I will generally line up a bit to the right side of the lane and wait.

The thing to do is not panic. I think what happens with most people when they experience this they panic and try to correct. Then when it comes back you have corrected too much and perhaps can start a sway event.

IMO it is like riding a wave...don't panic, just hold the wheel and ride it out till it passes.

even big heavy trucks can experience this. The air pushed from big vehicles is quite powerful

That is my take on it.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
One thing to remember is the suck and push will always be there.

Sway in my opinion is a different phenomenon.

I think of sway is when the trailer pivots side to side from my TV. I have never experienced this with my current set up (thanks to the Equal-i-zer)

what you experience from passing rigs is a different thing. That is the whole setup being sucked in and then pushed out.

I make sure to keep an eye on my side view and see what is flying up. I will generally line up a bit to the right side of the lane and wait.

The thing to do is not panic. I think what happens with most people when they experience this they panic and try to correct. Then when it comes back you have corrected too much and perhaps can start a sway event.

IMO it is like riding a wave...don't panic, just hold the wheel and ride it out till it passes.

even big heavy trucks can experience this. The air pushed from big vehicles is quite powerful

That is my take on it.
The only noticeable side motion I experience is from the really large frontal area semis and greyhound busses passing me on the freeway. With the right setup cars and wind should barely be noticeable, if any at all. On two lane roads I never even notice a truck passing me from the other direction.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The only noticeable side motion I experience is from the really large frontal area semis and greyhound busses passing me on the freeway. With the right setup cars and wind should barely be noticeable, if any at all. On two lane roads I never even notice a truck passing me from the other direction.

Yes, generally all you should notice is larger buses,MH's, and semi's but I have even experienced it from 1/2 tons and Suv's going 80+. They push a lot of air as well.

No matter what Hitch you have is not going to stop this from happening on occasion. a semi passing another Semi fast enough will create enough air turbulence to move it around.

The thing about a good quality hitch is that it moves the whole setup. TV and trailer and not just the trailer.

Wind is the same thing. If the wind is strong enough it is going to push you. Semis get toppled quite a bit.

Like you said there is no effect from on coming vehicles as the wind just goes over the vehicle and trailer. You may feel a resistance type or loss of power feeling as it hits you head on but no side to side
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #25

What TV do you have? I see a lot of campers with the wd and I hear them creek and crack as the come in the camp ground. In my past experience towing BP style trailers I never once wanted or used the bars or sway control bar, granted I didn't have big tall rv trailers. Just heavy flay beds with heavy loads, think 12k lbs of equipment in the trailer, so not addmuch windloaf butway more in lbs. but I also used a drw pickup. So. . Is the rv industry just using way to small of a TV in general or what? People need to remember wd are designed to put weight on the front tires of a TV if you have a big enough truck they I feel do more harm.

And yes 5th wheel is like the trailer isn't there, I had to do a quick evasive manevour at 60 the other day and it was no big deal I was watching closely and nothing trailer and truck were one.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
What TV do you have? I see a lot of campers with the wd and I hear them creek and crack as the come in the camp ground. In my past experience towing BP style trailers I never once wanted or used the bars or sway control bar, granted I didn't have big tall rv trailers. Just heavy flay beds with heavy loads, think 12k lbs of equipment in the trailer, so not addmuch windloaf butway more in lbs. but I also used a drw pickup. So. . Is the rv industry just using way to small of a TV in general or what? People need to remember wd are designed to put weight on the front tires of a TV if you have a big enough truck they I feel do more harm.

And yes 5th wheel is like the trailer isn't there, I had to do a quick evasive manevour at 60 the other day and it was no big deal I was watching closely and nothing trailer and truck were one.

his sig shows a 2012 F250. Even big trucks need WD. A travel trailer is a different beast than a flatdeck loaded. Creaks and cracks are normal and don't mean anything.

Just 2 days ago I was getting gas and a newer f250 diesel pulled in hauling a big 5th wheel. His fenders were almost 6 inches higher in the front than in the back. I am sure his steering was very loose. At least with a WDh you can get weight back to the front
Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #27

Quote:
his sig shows a 2012 F250. Even big trucks need WD. A travel trailer is a different beast than a flatdeck loaded. Creaks and cracks are normal and don't mean anything.

Just 2 days ago I was getting gas and a newer f250 diesel pulled in hauling a big 5th wheel. His fenders were almost 6 inches higher in the front than in the back. I am sure his steering was very loose. At least with a WDh you can get weight back to the front
OP
Do you happen to know how much your trailer weighs ready to camp?
Weight of steer, drive and trailer axles?
Any idea what your pin weight is?

nbhybrid
How is a travel trailer different? bigger sides sure = more wind load but pin weight is pin weight. There has to be something more then just having bigger sidewalls. There are millions of people hauling without WD, unless your an RV then everyone seems to be. " always felt it was a sales gymic with RV sales places" Remember WD is just for putting high pin weight onto the front axle, and rear axle of the trailer. VS trying to support the weight on the rear of the truck or TV.

So I can't agree with "Even big trucks need WD" My experience flat bed trailer hauling was 8K "3500 dodge truck" and 15K of trailer behind it," big john deere skid steer" with about 1,500lbs of pin weight, Yes I weighed it at the pin" Yes the hitch was beefed up but I didn't use bars. Truck towed it with no issues, rear springs helper leafs as I recall were not engaged on the truck or if they were it was barley. This is not the only truck I have used or trailer 3 Horse trailer 3/4, ETC.

Only thing I can think of is RV owners in general don't have enough TV and RV's themselves are poorly weight distributed and have a high pin weight when loaded.

F250 pulling a big 5th wheel.... Ford has squishy suspension, very well known and I bet the 5th wheel was way too big for the truck as a whole anyways. On my 5th wheel the front axle sees about 50lb more with the trailer vs not.

So I'm not sold on the WD with a proper TV... Sway control that is a whole other story. Big sidewalls little wind... small TV sure you need it and lots of it.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

HUH^^^^.....so your answer is he needs to get a dually?

if every person who RV'ed had to have a 1 ton truck to tow the industry wouldn't exist
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #29

Quote:
HUH^^^^.....so your answer is he needs to get a dually?

if every person who RV'ed had to have a 1 ton truck to tow the industry wouldn't exist
Never said that. His 3/4 pickup should be plenty big enough for a trailer like that. I doubt its over 9k lbs ready to go camping. with maybe 800 lbs on the pin. Sway maybe but I don't think he needs a WD hitch. I think he should try it with nothing but a ball, and properly inflated tires. I pet his opinion will be the same or better and its something else that is causing the issues he is having. Like springs on the trailer, underinflated tires, or just the natural flow of driving a big truck.

David
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Never said that. His 3/4 pickup should be plenty big enough for a trailer like that. I doubt its over 9k lbs ready to go camping. with maybe 800 lbs on the pin. Sway maybe but I don't think he needs a WD hitch. I think he should try it with nothing but a ball, and properly inflated tires. I pet his opinion will be the same or better and its something else that is causing the issues he is having. Like springs on the trailer, underinflated tires, or just the natural flow of driving a big truck.

David
Sway doesn't have anything to do with Weight distribution. I merely suggested a new Equalizer WDH because of the integrated sway control.
Friction types tend to not be as effective because of the leverage of the longer trailers where integrated sway systems work one side vs the other. The more a longer trailer attempts to leverage one side of the hitch it receives the equal amount on the other side

one thing that the WDH will do vs without is stop porpoising which is another effect which is not fun
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... I think he should try it with nothing but a ball.........snip
David,

Unfortunately the 33RLDS travel trailer that the OP has, under loaded conditions, the associated loaded tongue weight will "far" exceed the Weight Carrying limit of 600lbs of the 2012 F-250 OEM receiver hitch, thus a WDH is required.

Source: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rDtyPUjul1.pdf

Recommended loaded tongue weights for a TT like the 33RLDS is 13% to 15% of it's loaded weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #32

Quote:
OP
Do you happen to know how much your trailer weighs ready to camp?
Weight of steer, drive and trailer axles?
Any idea what your pin weight is?

nbhybrid
How is a travel trailer different? bigger sides sure = more wind load but pin weight is pin weight. There has to be something more then just having bigger sidewalls. There are millions of people hauling without WD, unless your an RV then everyone seems to be. " always felt it was a sales gymic with RV sales places" Remember WD is just for putting high pin weight onto the front axle, and rear axle of the trailer. VS trying to support the weight on the rear of the truck or TV.

So I can't agree with "Even big trucks need WD" My experience flat bed trailer hauling was 8K "3500 dodge truck" and 15K of trailer behind it," big john deere skid steer" with about 1,500lbs of pin weight, Yes I weighed it at the pin" Yes the hitch was beefed up but I didn't use bars. Truck towed it with no issues, rear springs helper leafs as I recall were not engaged on the truck or if they were it was barley. This is not the only truck I have used or trailer 3 Horse trailer 3/4, ETC.

Only thing I can think of is RV owners in general don't have enough TV and RV's themselves are poorly weight distributed and have a high pin weight when loaded.

F250 pulling a big 5th wheel.... Ford has squishy suspension, very well known and I bet the 5th wheel was way too big for the truck as a whole anyways. On my 5th wheel the front axle sees about 50lb more with the trailer vs not.

So I'm not sold on the WD with a proper TV... Sway control that is a whole other story. Big sidewalls little wind... small TV sure you need it and lots of it.
I can't give an exact weight on the axles, but I can say that ready to go full trip, the camper weighs in around 9400 lbs. pin weight is around 1000 lbs because we tend to load a lot of stuff not only in the front storage bins, but on the bed as well
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #33

Sorry for not getting back to you all, I've been overseas for a few days. The big thing I've been noticing is just a lot of "kick" it seems from the back end. I'll watch the back from my mirrors for a bit and it is constantly moving slightly from side to side. Now it's nothing drastic as to create anything dangerous, but when I follow other campers and fifth wheels I don't seem to notice it. So what am I missing?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #34
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSabe07 View Post

So what am I missing?
A better hitch.

you need a hitch with better sway control.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #35

Quote:
A better hitch.

you need a hitch with better sway control.
When we bought it, the dealer threw in a basic WDH and a sway bar. I've seen sway systems online for $500 that include the trunnion bars and sway system. Since I have trunnion bars already, can I just get the system for $175
Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

lol.....many times yes
Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #37

5th Wheel Vs Travel Trailer?

Let me put it this way......I have been pulling a Travel Trailer for the last 4 years and I can tell you right now, after experiencing the 5th Wheel world, you wouldn't pay me to pull a 5,000lbs TT ever again.

My Touring Edition weighs in at ~9,500lbs loaded. I also have occasional jet skiis behind the 5th wheel as a double tow. That's not all. I pull all this weight with a Tundra 5.7L V8.

If you can get your hands on a 5th Wheel, go for it. The benefits of a 5'er outweighs a Travel Trailer in so many ways.

This is a report from someone that has tried both towing set ups.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #38
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSabe07 View Post
When we bought it, the dealer threw in a basic WDH and a sway bar. I've seen sway systems online for $500 that include the trunnion bars and sway system. Since I have trunnion bars already, can I just get the system for $175

No you wouldn't be able to use anything you have.

IMO order either an Equal-i-zer 4 point or a Reese Straight line hitch.

They will send you everything you need to tow correctly. It may cost close to 600
As has been stated you could and for your length should install a second friction sway control for a lot less but IMO they are still not as good as the ones above.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
5th Wheel Vs Travel Trailer?

Let me put it this way......I have been pulling a Travel Trailer for the last 4 years and I can tell you right now, after experiencing the 5th Wheel world, you wouldn't pay me to pull a 5,000lbs TT ever again.

My Touring Edition weighs in at ~9,500lbs loaded. I also have occasional jet skiis behind the 5th wheel as a double tow. That's not all. I pull all this weight with a Tundra 5.7L V8.

If you can get your hands on a 5th Wheel, go for it. The benefits of a 5'er outweighs a Travel Trailer in so many ways.

This is a report from someone that has tried both towing set ups.
Agreed.
And i've towed enough different makes, models, sizes and shapes that I've lost count.
To the OP, buy what YOU want and go enjoy!
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
Closed Thread