Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Jim

Swivel Rocking Chair Issue - 2015 Jay Flight 26RLS

We purchased our 2015 Jay Flight 26RLS this last June 2014. Only real issue I have is with these swivel rockers. The design of this TT requires that both chairs be stowed in a position that blocks the main door while traveling. One solution I read was to remove one of the chairs entirely from the rig and just not use it. I might do that however, the other main issue is moving one swivel rocker over to the door when getting the rig ready to move. I am 6' 3" and can lift it but don't like to. I even thought of attaching castors to the feet of the chair but the feet are very narrow and not sure that solution would work. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

If you have the table and 4 chairs.
We put one of the dinette chairs in the left rear of the trailer, and slide the recliner that normally sits in the left rear under the table where the dinette chair would sit. I bought some extra clips that jayco uses to hold the dinning chairs in position and nylon strapping, and used them to secure the recliner at the table, and the chair at the rear of the trailer.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
If you have the table and 4 chairs.
We put one of the dinette chairs in the left rear of the trailer, and slide the recliner that normally sits in the left rear under the table where the dinette chair would sit. I bought some extra clips that jayco uses to hold the dinning chairs in position and nylon strapping, and used them to secure the recliner at the table, and the chair at the rear of the trailer.
Thanks for the response. We have the dining booth arrangement and not the table/chairs. Sounds like you have solved the issue of blocking your door during travel but this solution unfortunately won't work for us. I actually don't see any solution other than taking one of the swivel rockers completely out of the rig. That would solve having to manhandle one rocker over to the door to secure for traveling and our main door would not be blocked during travel giving us easier access to the refrigerator etc. when temporarily parking. If we remove a rocker we would have to install clips and a strap to hold down the remaining swivel rocker. Our next rig will be a motor coach and do not anticipate this kind of issue. We learn as we purchase new rigs what to look for I guess. Thanks for your reply.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

We had a 2011 26RLS and we would swivel them back to back against the center end table. One fit in the space with the slide closed and the other was across from the 2 large storage drawers. We would use a pillow against the table and the back side of the chair. It held it nicely in place. We traveled over 9000 miles with this setup. We eventually swapped out the stock chairs with 2 small recliners from Costco. We hung onto the chairs and put them back in the unit when we sold it. We never had the kitchen door blocked by the chair with either set. We use the same setup (back to back) in the Eagle today.

I have seen where people have put the chairs on their back during travel. Jayco shipped our 26RLS unit with the chairs upside down on the couch during travel. That may be another option for you.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
We had a 2011 26RLS and we would swivel them back to back against the center end table. One fit in the space with the slide closed and the other was across from the 2 large storage drawers. We would use a pillow against the table and the back side of the chair. It held it nicely in place. We traveled over 9000 miles with this setup. We eventually swapped out the stock chairs with 2 small recliners from Costco. We hung onto the chairs and put them back in the unit when we sold it. We never had the kitchen door blocked by the chair with either set. We use the same setup (back to back) in the Eagle today.

I have seen where people have put the chairs on their back during travel. Jayco shipped our 26RLS unit with the chairs upside down on the couch during travel. That may be another option for you.
Joe.. thank you for the ideas. As to your first suggestion the 2015 model unfortunately does not have enough room between the slide (when it is in) and rear of the trailer to leave the swivel rocker in place and turning it sideways as you suggested. It lacks about 3 inches of being able to do that. (Not sure what Jayco designers were thinking?) That option would be great and is how we originally thought we could do it. The dealer did too until we tried it on the day we picked the unit up. The trailer shipped with the two chairs back to back at the kitchen door and is currently the way we set them for travel using a strap to hold them together. In the 2015 model they apparently increased the length of the slide to accommodate the longer couch which is a hide a bed and a large U shaped dining area. Like you, I am considering purchasing two new chairs somewhere that are actually more comfortable and might give us a way to use your first suggestion. We actually have our trailer at the dealer now to repair/replace one of the rockers. After only 5 camping trips the fabric on the back of one of them has come loose. I will consider your other suggestions and appreciate all the ideas. Frankly, beyond this issue we really like our new trailer... but having to lift/manhandle one of the swivel rockers for storage is certainly a problem.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

We have a 2012 HT 26.5 RLS and have the same problem as you seem to have about pulling the slide with the chair in the "relaxing" position. However, our chairs are very light, not terrifically well-built and easy to move. We just pick up the offending one and move it in front of the little "table" between the two. It doesn't seem to move around much when traveling and we have no really problem getting into and out of the FW when the slide is in and the chair is moved to its traveling position. I don't think the engineers were thinking when designing these situations, about 6" longer at the back and the chair wouldn't have to move, but then, they couldn't sell our FW as less than 30" LOA.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Jim

Update: It is now February 6, 2015 and I finally picked up our 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS TT from Camping World which was in for warranty work. As I mentioned in my previous posts the fabric on the rear of one of the swivel rockers had become severely loose and the chair needed to be replaced or repaired. Jayco opted to have it repaired. Did I mention that Camping World had had our rig since October 17th, 2014 for that repair. BTW, the Camping World in Greenwood, Indiana is great although I realize people have had different experiences in other locations. I digress.. Jayco first sent the wrong color fabric, then they sent wheel fender skirts (Really?), and then said it might take 4-6 weeks to get the fabric as they were no longer making those chairs and that fabric. The Camping World service manager then got that straightened out and the correct fabric came in within 4 days of his conversation with them. (Kudos to him!). During that time Camping World also replaced the weather stripping on the slide as it had started rolling up and I was afraid it would start leaking. They also winterized it for me immediately upon accepting the TT back in October as one of my requests as it was time for it anyway. Since it was taking so long for Jayco to do their part I had researched the Equalizer Hitch system and ordered that installation from Camping World.. Might as well have them do it since they had it in for the warranty work. Bottom line.... Not happy with the service from Jayco regarding the chairs.. I understand they no longer offer those chairs and probably for good reason. Camping World was so frustrated with Jayco and the fact that they had to keep my rig for so long they discounted the price of the Equalizer Hitch and the winterizing which saved me over $200 and they apologized profusely. So this post does not come off as a total slam against Jayco.. I am 98% satisfied with the 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS TT. Did Jayco make an engineering error regarding the swivel rockers and how they have to be stowed for travel, YES!. Did they learn from it.. don't know yet. Again, thanks to everyone for their previous replies and recommendations.. Camping season is not too far away .
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's