Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Seating Options?

Hi All,

My wife and I have noticed that either our couch is shrinking or our two children are growing. Generally for TV watching we sort of rotate between two adults on the couch and the kids on the floor, or one adult on the couch with 2 kids and the other in a dining chair pulled over beside the couch. Seating around the table for meals and games still works fine.

This past Thanksgiving we took an 8 person camping trip. We expected it would be cramped. We had plenty of sleeping space, but there just wasn't enough seating. We made do with a collapsible ottoman. We and our guests still had a great time. They are now shopping for a TT of their own.

For those of you who regularly camp with four (or more) folks, where do you typically sit for different activities?
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I have noticed that either our couch is shrinking or our two children are growing. Generally for TV watching we sort of rotate between two adults on the couch and the kids on the floor, or one adult on the couch with 2 kids and the other in a dining chair pulled over beside the couch. Seating around the table for meals and games still works fine.

They are now shopping for a TT of their own.

For those of you who regularly camp with four (or more) folks, where do you typically sit for different activities?
I think you should go with them,show them the ins and outs and in doing so you just might find special one to start the new camping season. I know it's not what you had in mind nor the answer you were looking for but what the hell else are you going to be thinking about till spring gets here. I don't want another one either but I'm still going to the Seattle RV show just because I'm going nuts just waiting for Spring to get here.
I call SecretCoveDave and he helpes me get through these grey and wet days till spring begins and I can see the sun again.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

I might consider a storage ottoman. This is just an example, I'm not recommending this exact one...http://www.target.com/p/roma-tufted-...0o4RoCXffw_wcB

The benefits are cushioned seating for 2 more people when you need it, a nice place to kick up your legs when you are relaxing on the couch and additional storage for things that you leave in the camper. They are easy to move around and comfy to sit on.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I might consider a storage ottoman. ...snip...
The benefits are cushioned seating for 2 more people when you need it, a nice place to kick up your legs when you are relaxing on the couch and additional storage for things that you leave in the camper. They are easy to move around and comfy to sit on.
We have two of the smaller versions in virtual leather: Seating for one person on each with storage area inside and a place to put your feet up. Right now they are in the living room with some of the grandson's stuff in them. They will be in the trailer when we are on the road.

We also removed (unscrewed - very easy) the stubby legs to lower them a bit.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

I have been tossing around the idea of modifying the slide space to accommodate more seating space, something like these with pedestal tables that can be removed.

I'm seeking your comments, ideas, or possible laments you foresee in making this type of change.
Attached Thumbnails
lounge1.png   lounge2.png   lounge3.jpg   lounge4.png  
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

I typically remove our table outside of meal times in our 28 BHBE. I have the U-Shaped Dinette, and the table and its legs fit between the couch and the back of the dinette very nicely, out of the way. Usually, there are only 3 of us and the dog, and one is only 3-1/2 months old. With the table removed from the dinette, it makes a VERY nice lounging area. I also have the added benefit of the moveable ottoman that serves as the back of the dinette seating. DW likes to take up the couch, and I'm usually lounging in the dinette, and the baby is in his little sling chair on the floor somewhere.

I've often considered making the dinette down in to it's bed configuration just for lounging around, but I'm always getting up and sitting down, and I'd rather not have to do that on and off a bed.

When we had 8 people in the camper we rotated around; 3 girls hung out on the top bunk, 4 people in the dinette, two people on the couch, one on the boot box by the door, one leaning on the counter (this person was responsible for beverages because of proximity to the fridge )

I'm also not above grabbing my camp chairs from outside and plopping them out of the way somewhere if I need extra seating. Space gets kind of tight though.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #7

I like the idea of the additional/extended table, but not with the posts! Those receptacles on the floor are nasty toe stubbers, and hurt like heck if you step on one. I'd go with a free-standing table that you can also take outside for extra seating around the picnic table. I, also use a small hassock for extra seating on occasion, as well as Camper Bob's suggestion of using outdoor/folding chairs. Of course, on really nice evenings, you can always take the T.V. outdoors and enjoy watching it around the campfire from your favorite lounge chair/picnic table bench/log.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

we bought an ottoman from meijers for less than 50 dollars that works for seating, storage and putting your feet on or to eat on when on the couch. It was cheap and works perfectly for multipurpose
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0845.jpg  
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
we bought an ottoman from meijers ...snip
FYI... Meijers is a regional, midwest US chain. A small-scale Walmart, if you will.

DW I often call our local Walmart "Meijer's West."
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
we bought an ottoman from meijers for less than 50 dollars that works for seating, storage and putting your feet on or to eat on when on the couch. It was cheap and works perfectly for multipurpose
That's a great idea. How do you secure it when you're traveling?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
We sit around the campfire or under the awning at a picnic table playing games and cards. Heck, most of the time you will find us around the fire even when raining...we just use umbrellas to stay dry.

For us, it's camping...NO tv or sitting inside unless we absolutely have to!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
That's a great idea. How do you secure it when you're traveling?
Ya, well, that's TBD (To Be Determined).

It's our plan, but we're still waiting for our trailer.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #13

we put it on the couch when running the slides in and then set it on the floor between the slides
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote