Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Remote control from bedroom

So, this is my second favorite mod! I installed it last night and it works beautifully!! Now we can control the Jensen Head Unit from our bedroom while we watch a DVD before bed!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted the receiver to the front of the TV, so whichever way the TV is facing is where the remote signal is received. Range is excellent and installation was ridiculous easy!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

This is a great idea. I have been trying to figure out how to setup my directv box in the bunkhouse area since it won't fit above the TV. I didn't realize they came in usb form. I have a similar one for my slingbox, but it uses an AUX (earphone jack) connector. Now I just have to run a cable input from outside the trailer to the directv box in the bunkhouse and I will be able to run out from the box to the TV in front using an existing line. Thanks for that info.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #3

Genius!!!
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
Genius!!!
Right?! That's what I said when I saw it! I was thinking about mounting some kind of mirror in my kitchen to bounce the signal from the bedroom to the head unit! Yeah, obviously there was NO WAY that was going to work!

So the Googleverse showed me the perfect solution! And like I said, it's BEAUTIFUL! Even DW gave me a pat on the back for that one, and that's pretty rare with my tinkering on the RV!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Team

IR Signal Extender

Here is another method... it transmits the IR signal from your remote transmitter unit to the receiver via RF signal (yes even through the walls). Can be used inside TT or outside. I have an X10 version that I purchased about 3 years ago, and they work great. Amazon has a bunch of them at different prices. You use your regular remote control with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...erReviewsBlock

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is another method... it transmits the IR signal from your remote transmitter unit to the receiver via RF signal (yes even through the walls). Can be used inside TT or outside. I have an X10 version that I purchased about 3 years ago, and they work great. Amazon has a bunch of them at different prices. You use your regular remote control with it.

Don
I looked at that one, but the remote that poses the real problem is the one for the Jensen head unit (the TV swivels, so no problem there). The battery for Jensen remote is a lithium button cell. That receiver you linked cannot accommodate a button cell transmitter. But I really liked the idea of RF vs IR frequency, but alas, it would not work for this application.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:

Don
Even better. I think that one will work even better for my setup. Thanks again.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

I am sort of an idiot with these things, but is this the same one? http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Exten...679VXGMJB1P1D3

I want to buy one shipped from Amazon.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
I am sort of an idiot with these things, but is this the same one? http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Exten...679VXGMJB1P1D3

I want to buy one shipped from Amazon.
No this is not what you want... With that unit you need to run a wire for the IR unit, it is not wireless. The unit you want will have a transmitter and a receiver unit. The RECEIVER unit is placed some where in front of your TV, Stereo, DVR..... And a TRANSMITTER unit that can be in the bunk area, or outside, but within 100' of the receiver. Understand that this only extends the REMOTE's signal and not the cable/OTA signal.

Here is the unit I use, I have had it about 3 years and still works perfectly.. See if you can find a similar unit on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310364675708?lpid=82

Don
Attached Thumbnails
X10 Units.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
No this is not what you want... With that unit you need to run a wire for the IR unit, it is not wireless. The unit you want will have a transmitter and a receiver unit. The RECEIVER unit is placed some where in front of your TV, Stereo, DVR..... And a TRANSMITTER unit that can be in the bunk area, or outside, but within 100' of the receiver. Understand that this only extends the REMOTE's signal and not the cable/OTA signal.

Here is the unit I use, I have had it about 3 years and still works perfectly.. See if you can find a similar unit on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310364675708?lpid=82

Don

This is the one I installed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I chose this one SPECIFICALLY because it didn't have separate transmitters and receivers. There's nowhere to put those things in my trailer. I would need either a shelf, or to use counter space, neither of which I have surplus to use for something like this.

With the wired one, since my TV swivels, I just wired it up, put the transmitter eye over the receiver eye on the head unit, put the receiver pod on the front of the TV, and now the stereo remote works whichever way the TV is faced. Essentially, the wired one relocates the IR receiver in the head unit to wherever you want it (semi permanently). In my case, I wanted to be able to control the DVD player (in the head unit) from whichever direction the TV was facing (kinda makes sense doesn't it?), so that's exactly what the wired repeater gives me; nothing more, nothing less, and is very inexpensive and VERY simple to use and install, and I don't have other gizmos running around to get broken or lost, or have to replace batteries in one more gadget.

It really is a beautifully elegant and simple solution.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #11

thanks all. Bob, I bought the one you linked to... shall update when i get it
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #12

Update: got the receiver/emitter today and it's a success! I have it in the USB port right now but might get an adapter for that later so the USB port is free. Awesome stuff. How ridiculous not to be able to control the dvd unit from the bedroom before now. Thanks again Bob
Old 09-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

I'm glad you like it! I love it! I have mine plugged into a 110 to USB adapter plugged into the outlet in the cabinet in the entertainment center, works great. I tried it with a 12 V cig lighter adapter, but the amperage wasn't right, so it didn't work and it got really hot...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV