Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #21

This is a great thread here. I also have mentioned in another post that I had read that Jayco and the manufacturer does not want you to cover the vents due to overheating. I'm glad I'm not alone here. I do have a suggestion that might help. You can buy a small section of plenum that has a small fan in that just gets installed in the duct work and wired up. This might help.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #22

I had too much heat in bedroom so I installed a register that can close...solved the problem
matt1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokyjoe48 View Post
I was talking to a fellow that owns a Open Range and had a problem with to much heat forward and not enough in the rear. His solution? He put dampers between the furnace and the tubing and was able to adjust heat where he needed it. I believe the furnace had 4" outlets.

Bad idea, all furnaces are designed to operate a a specifice static pressure. By adding a damper or closing/blocking vents you change that static pressure which can cause the furnace to overheat and could possibly burn out the heat exchanger.
2010 Camping Nights 45
2011 Camping Nights 70
2012 Camping Nights 144
2013 Camping Nights 49
allen8106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #24

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
We too have poor heating in the rear living area of our 2012 31.5RLTS. When looking into the ducting under the bathroom area, I saw that there were 4 - 4" ducts connected to the heater. 2 of these went to the underbelly and 2 to the living portion of the trailer. Since we do not camp in freezing temps I am considering re routing one of the underbelly ducts by connecting it to the rear living area with a T-connection to the existing duct that goes to that area. I see no need for 1/2 the heating capacity of the unit to go into the underbelly, seems quite wasteful to me. The TT we had previous to this 5er had an exposed underbelly and we never had problems with the tanks.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #25

Poor heat distribution 29.5 RKS Eagle Super Lite

I am also having problems with heat distribution in my 2011 29.5 RKS Eagle Super Lite. Too much hot air in the bathroom / bedroom absolutely roasts you in that area. Very little air makes it across to the far wall of the living area leaving the living space cold. Since the thermostat is in the cool area it keeps exacerbating the problem in the sleeping area. I took grill off the furnace (the screws fell out since they only go into the panel board) and after cleaning out all the left over construction debris I rearranged the flex ducts but it made little difference. There is no air flow adjustment on the vents and I notice some warn not to restrict their flow. I see mention of blocking venting underneath the floor. It looks like that could be quite a job. Has anyone heard of a recent proper fix for this problem. Thanks in advance.
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #26

I solved this problem by not using the furnace. Too big of temperature swings for my liking. I purchased two small electric heaters and it works much better. If I am camping off the grid I just use my generator, its cheaper and quieter to run than the noisy propane hog of a furnace.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #27

You would think that Jayco could come up with a better distribution system. We find when we run a single electric heater in the living area the heat rises up into the sleeping area of the 5th wheel. I will try a second heater. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #28

Can't believe anyone would want to block or partially block the vents due to the damage this could cause to the system as well as risking the lives of your family. Just not worth it. I would suggest checking out all the vents thoroughly. We found tons of debris left in these, including a 4 inch round cut out from one of the openings. After cleaning these out you might want to look at which line is ducted where if you have easy access to your furnace. I would add electric heat if needed before even thinking of blocking even partially the vents.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #29

I have the opposite problem with my 27.5 BHS HT, too much heat in the bunk house. I tried an adjustable register (plastic), it melted - tried a metal register, the kids almost burnt their feet. A letter from Jayco engineering told me to take the trailer to the dealer a let them figure it out. The dealer restricted the air flow with insulation, not a great solution but it works. I am not happy blowing insulation fibers out where the children play and sleep.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #30

Does not sound like much of a fix to me DJ.