Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #21

I bought our camper 2 years ago through an rv wholesaler, I had payment arranged before we picked up our trailer but check was dated for day of delivery. They were fine with that. The wholesalers do not want to have to resell a camper if somebodies financing falls through or customer backs out of a sale. Most do not have a sales staff at their delivery lots so they want to be sure that once a rig arrives at a delivery lot a customer will be picking it up.
BTW, never had a problem getting service or warranty work done at another dealer either. If and when I ever decide to buy another new rv I will most likely buy through a wholesaler again unless a local dealer can come reasonably close to the same price.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #22

I have a ram half ton and want a 4 season trailer. Will jay cos thermal package and a good skirt keep a jay flight rks warm well below 0' C ?
Toodles44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodles44 View Post
I have a ram half ton and want a 4 season trailer. Will jay cos thermal package and a good skirt keep a jay flight rks warm well below 0' C ?
Quite a bit off topic...but no a JayFlight is not a 4-season trailer by any stretch and would not be comfortable well below 0*C (32*F). You may be able to make it work in a desperate pinch, but if you are buying then buy a 4-season trailer to begin with.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #24

ALBANY RV
Albany, New York
BUFFALO RV
Buffalo, New York
DES MOINES RV
Des Moines, Iowa
ORLANDO RV
Orlando, Florida
TAMPA RV
Tampa, Florida

All these dealerships are owned and operated by Don Strollo here in Albany,NY.When you do business with this guy expect high pressure sales,BS sales agreements and if you do end up making a purchase from this farce of a dealership you better hope you don't have to bring it back for warranty work because you'll have to jump through hoops to get them to work on it.
I purchased my TT from Johnston RV in Rochester,NY just so I wouldn't have to deal with Don and his sales team.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #25

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
What I learned while on a tour of the Jayco plant was that they don't build "inventory". EVERY trailer and MH they build was sold before it went on the assembly line. Not only that but they don't ship ANYTHING to a dealer unless they are paid for in full by the dealer before the transporter leaves the lot with it. Given the fragile nature of the finances of some of these dealers I can understand Jayco protecting themselves this way. I would imagine that Jayco is not alone in this business practice.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

Interesting..so the projection of their success is dependent on what a dealer either anticipates or is able to afford in sales potential
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #27

I bought from Albany RV. High pressure, after they have your money they don't know you. Never return calls. Would not buy an outhouse from those clowns. No dealer prep on unit, I could write a book. Beware.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
I bought from Albany RV. High pressure, after they have your money they don't know you. Never return calls. Would not buy an outhouse from those clowns. No dealer prep on unit, I could write a book. Beware.
Another jayco owner shafted by Don Strollo. I would think the word would get out about this clown and his dealership.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #29

Make sure if things are not to your standards on the PDI write them down on a due bill. Do not transfer any money until this is written down as it will be a legal binding contract.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #30

We bought our 5th wheel through RV Direct and took delivery through their Des Moines location. Never felt pressured in any way. The sales office always returned calls and were able to answer any questions we had. We saved over $6000 by going through them rather than going through a dealership. Warranty work has not been a problem either. I would buy from them again.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #31

I paid before walk thru, and had no problems. HOWEVER. I would not recommend this practice. The dealer I was purchasing from had been in business for longer than I have been alive, and I'm a retired banker. Also the dealer has numerous other sales with our family, so there was a high level of trust.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I can understand a request for down payment but never would pay upfront before I have inspected and are ready to finish the paperwork. I rather would walk away....
There is more fish in the sea. A dealer can go in receivership without you knowing it.
Then you loose a lot more...
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #33

I bought a starter unit and when we went to pick it up, the dealer was in complete turmoil due to the fact that everybody had just wrapped up a major show. Needless to say the PDI was kind of a joke, but the flip side was they had the TT all hooked up, cleaned and ready to go, and handed me the keys to my truck with a "thanks, all ready to go,see ya"

Funny thing was, I had not even paid for it. I had to basically say, "uh...I believe we have some business to finish up." Long story short, I could have got in the rig, and rolled right out of the dealership without even paying for it.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #34

Thinking on what ALJO said I got pretty lucky to have had a smooth delivery and virtually event free first three outings..considering I paid in full before delivery.. also just winterized my first time on my own..yikes everything ran pink though after diddling with air locks in the line for an hour! But ALJO is right..even though Jayco does not accept the sale until you sign off..dealerships can go into receivership and that would be big trouble
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #35

In 11-14, we pd $3K down upon ordering a 31Ds greyhawk, but got the RV dealer to agree to refund the downpaymt if we decided not to take it; they checked with Jayco and were told that was OK, because they figured they could still sell it (only difference was an overcab bed, not ent system.
C & C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #36

We ordered a new one at the show and only put 20 dollars down then when we went into the rv dealer the following week we put 500 when we signed order ... Didn't finish paperwork and paying until we picked it up . I figure once it is payed in full what is their incentive to make sure it gets delivered in a timely manner
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #37

I paid in full but they had to wait three weeks for me to pick up as I already had other plans being in a condo at the coast. I figure if your that paranoid about the dealer then your dealing with the wrong dealer.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #38

If you must pay before the walk through/demo because of their policy etc just have the dealer write up something stating "any repairs needed will be made by the dealer to the cust satisfaction prior to taking full delivery/removing from dealers lot or result in full refund" and have them sign/date it. Bought ours used w/ cash and the dealer did the walk through afterwards with no probs found thankfully. Good luck!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote