Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #41

I still have my 2006 Ram. I have never had any work done on it other than scheduled maintenance. Oh ... I did have to replace a few wires that got chewed on by pack rats. I bet Toyotas are impervious to pack rats though.

That's great that you like your Toyota. Me, I left the Toyota dealer while the salesman was bragging about having 4 engineers for every part. I went right to the Dodge dealer and bought my Ram. If you need 4 engineers per part, you are doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I like our Hondas too. But there are plenty of us on this forum that can attest to how reliable Dodge trucks are.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Deuce View Post
That was actually RCA's motto...but that's another story. I know a pretty funny joke about thar motto but don't think a family style forum is the place to tell it!

LOL I can imagine.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
I think a half ton diesel sounds awesome. It has a heck of a lot more tow capacity than my 2006 5.7 Hemi. I don't have any trouble towing my 26BH with my Ram. I'm sure you'll get better gas mileage than me as well.

Good to hear you have both a Ram and a 26BH that you love. Looking forward to getting mine.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #44

I now pull my 26BH with a '01 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel. Pulled it with a '05 Z71 Chevy 4x4 with the 5.3 (it's for sale by the way) and used more fuel.
I know the Ford is more than I need but it pulls the trailer like it's not even there and I use less fuel than I did in the Chevy.
ssharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #45

Get the trailer you wish to get based on what fits your style, lifestyle and budget. Do your homework to make sure you are aware of the positive and negatives for the trailer you decide on. Remember though that everything develops issues over time, practice preventative maintenance; checking your seems and applying caulking, checking seals around your doors and compartments, making sure that all window seals are snug and not sun dried, cracking and slipping, check all outlet and inlet access doors and flaps for ware and breakage, also make sure those are kept closed when not in use.

Certain things should be done each time you use your trailer while others are recommended to be done at least twice a year. Ask a dealership for their advice on things to check and the frequency for you particular model.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #46

i have a 2014 ecodiesel and it will pull that trailer with NO problem, you mite be a few hundred pounds overloaded in payload " hitch weight " but you will still be under gvwr .
I am going threw this now choosing a trailer , it basically comes down to how much do I want to be over weight 300 lbs or 6 or 700 lbs
I have a crew cab 4x4 and after people and full tank of fuel I have about 600 lbs of payload left , by the way the truck drives great empty and pulling , but when empty you get the super great mpg's
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
i have a 2014 ecodiesel and it will pull that trailer with NO problem, you mite be a few hundred pounds overloaded in payload " hitch weight " but you will still be under gvwr .
I am going threw this now choosing a trailer , it basically comes down to how much do I want to be over weight 300 lbs or 6 or 700 lbs
I have a crew cab 4x4 and after people and full tank of fuel I have about 600 lbs of payload left , by the way the truck drives great empty and pulling , but when empty you get the super great mpg's

I appreciate you saying that. I've ordered a 2015 and I'm still waiting for the build to start. Like you, as long as I'm within the axle weight limits , I'm not to concerned with the payload numbers. I'm very excited to get the Ecodiesel and once I do I'm buying the 26BH.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #48

You will love the truck she drive's so smooth and of course the great mpg's ,
I average between 25 to 26 mpg per, tank hand calculated and best was 28 mpg with 500 of those miles highway, empty truck of course , towing my 3000 lb boat I still average around 20 mpg and from what I read on the forum's even with a 6 to 7000 lb trailer there getting between 13 to 16 mpg towing depending on speed ,
I am going back and forth , I like the extra room of the white hawk with the slide " same layout as 26bh" but it also weighs a bit more but I also like No slide one less problem I guess it will all come down to the wife's input
keep us posted

mike
Old 10-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
You will love the truck she drive's so smooth and of course the great mpg's ,
I average between 25 to 26 mpg per, tank hand calculated and best was 28 mpg with 500 of those miles highway, empty truck of course , towing my 3000 lb boat I still average around 20 mpg and from what I read on the forum's even with a 6 to 7000 lb trailer there getting between 13 to 16 mpg towing depending on speed ,
I am going back and forth , I like the extra room of the white hawk with the slide " same layout as 26bh" but it also weighs a bit more but I also like No slide one less problem I guess it will all come down to the wife's input
keep us posted

mike

How are you geared 3.55 or 3.92? I'm 6'2 225lbs. so I'm always looking for more room. I was able to stay in a 6 year old 27BH with my wife and kids and was relatively comfortable and it rained the whole time. We figure that we'll be outside the trailer most of the time anyway so, for me, I'd rather have the lighter rig with less moving parts (no slide) when compared to the White Hawk. You can't go wrong with either one though.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #50

3.55 gear , The 3.92 will give you an extra 1000 lbs of towing but NO extra payload and thats where the truck need's it is in the payload department .

I did weigh my truck on a cat scale and front axle was at 3500 lbs and rear was drop over 2500 lbs empty so there is a good 1000 lbs left to be equal with the front however we do have 3900 lb axle's so there is even more cushion there if needed
check out this website there's a lot of info on the ecodiesel .

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #51

We had a 26BH and pulled with a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4. Did it do the job? Yes. Was it happy in the mountains? No. If we had a high wind day I was exhausted and I had my WD hitch dialed in. We switched to a 2011 Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 gas and it was a whole different story. I could drive all day in any conditions and wasn't fatigued at all. We lost our 26BH to hail last year and in preparation to getting a new camper have ordered a 2015i GMC 3500HD SLT crew cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison. I would rather have too much truck and be comfortable than not enough.
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #52

I have a 26bh for a year now and I had Zero problem with the trailer. I am towing with a half ton with no problem. However I lived in a plain where the land is flat down south. It just me and one or two of my kids that come along. I love the 26bh and this is my second Jayco purchases. I will buy another Jayco!
2001 Jayco Qwest 12A (SOLD)
4 kids, 3 grown children, 1 in high school.
Jwunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #53

This July I will be pulling my 2005 Jayco 27BH to Montana from California for the 5th consecutive year. TV is a 2006 Ford F-150 5.4 . Myself, my wife and our 3 kids....ages 11,7 and 6 enjoy the 2 week trip each year. The only leak ever was a simple fix in 2011 at the TV antenna perf. Roof is still in good repair - I tend to the Dicor self-leveling product for upkeep at seams and perfs. The "need" for a slideout is not present - maybe in the future. Huge storage is a benefit.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote