Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

New Carefree awning on my pup

When I bought my Jayco 1207, the support poles were all missing. Rather than replace all that, I opted for the Carefree of Colorado Campout. For me, the 3.5 meter (11.5 feet) was the correct length. I contacted a half dozen distributors, but the colors they had in stock were not very nice in my opinion See "vinyl denim stripes" here: http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=Fabric&tab=Patio.

I liked the newer vinyl options, specifically their "Shale Fades" (not much of a stripe person). I had to special order it, which cost me a few more bucks, but I am very happy with the end result. Hats off to Hanna Trailer, outside of Milwaukee (hannarv.com). I had to drive up from the Chicago suburbs, but it was worth it. Stopped by a buddy's lake cottage and did the install in just a few minutes.

Photos - click to enlarge.

Up in the usual position:
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	13731

Yes, you can angle it for rain water runoff:

Name:	awning-2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	13732

Support arms horizontal to show the top color pattern (Blue Shale Fade):

Name:	awning-3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	13733

Plenty of room underneath:

Name:	awning-4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	13734

Bagged and ready to head home:

Name:	awning-5.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	13735
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Looks nice and I like the color! Make sure you tie the outboard end down to the ground with some earth anchors/ratchet straps or it'll be flipped over the top of your trailer with the right gust of wind.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #3

You got it shining now....looks good
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Looks nice and I like the color! Make sure you tie the outboard end down to the ground with some earth anchors/ratchet straps or it'll be flipped over the top of your trailer with the right gust of wind.
Thanks mcfarmall. I think this would be hard to flip over the trailer since the supports attach to the trailer, and are not "carport" legs (though it can be used that way according to the manual). I did, however, buy anchors and ratchet straps before I ordered the awning. The ones I purchased were the spiral kind that screw into the ground... such as you might leash a dog to. Will those be sufficient?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
You got it shining now....looks good
Thanks Threebutchers!!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Stubbs View Post
Thanks mcfarmall. I think this would be hard to flip over the trailer since the supports attach to the trailer, and are not "carport" legs (though it can be used that way according to the manual). I did, however, buy anchors and ratchet straps before I ordered the awning. The ones I purchased were the spiral kind that screw into the ground... such as you might leash a dog to. Will those be sufficient?
I've not used the ones that look like corkscrews...I use the ones that have a 1/2" diameter shank and a piece of auger flighting on the end.

There have been a couple of times when I've seen un-anchored roll up awnings with the big beefmaster supports get caught by a sudden gust and the arms get ripped off the side of the RV where they are attached at the bottom. A strong gust could exert 20lbs per square foot or higher...that's 1600 lbs on an 8'x10' awning.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

Thats what I need. How much do they cost now...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Thats what I need. How much do they cost now...
The small ones (12" or so) were <$7 when I bought them at Menards. I carry a 16" long piece of 1/2" stainless steel with pointed end that I drive in the ground to make a pilot hole, then use the rod as a wrench through the eye to screw them into the soil. The same process is used for my tiki torch poles, they just drop into the pilot holes perfectly and I don't damage them trying to push them in the ground.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
The small ones (12" or so) were <$7 when I bought them at Menards. I carry a 16" long piece of 1/2" stainless steel with pointed end that I drive in the ground to make a pilot hole, then use the rod as a wrench through the eye to screw them into the soil. The same process is used for my tiki torch poles, they just drop into the pilot holes perfectly and I don't damage them trying to push them in the ground.
What kind of soil are you typically driving those into? I have a sand anchor for my boat that is like an auger, and I often get hung up on on rocks... which is why I went for these cork screw types. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #10

Try the corkscrews and see how they work. They might be just fine for your application. Here in Michigan I typically use them in soils ranging from blow sand to clay and everything in between. I have camped in a few places that have laid down crushed rock as a camping pad and the anchors are useless.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Try the corkscrews and see how they work. They might be just fine for your application. Here in Michigan I typically use them in soils ranging from blow sand to clay and everything in between. I have camped in a few places that have laid down crushed rock as a camping pad and the anchors are useless.
Thanks again mcfarmall. I'll try the corkscrews next time out, which might not be for a few weeks or so. Perhaps I will pick up two more for a total of four, two for each side. I am not trying to ride out a hurricane, just don't want to lose the new awning to a sudden, unexpected gust.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #12

Very interesting. Looks like the new awning installed right into the factory zip bag, how does that work? Also did you have attach anchor points for the side arms to the camper body, and do those come with the awning kit?
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #13

Very nice, O.S.! It looks really first rate! Just make sure you can disconnect your ground anchors in a hurry if a sudden storm (with high winds) pops up.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
Very interesting. Looks like the new awning installed right into the factory zip bag, how does that work?
Like the factory awning, this one comes sewn into its own bag and slides into the existing awning rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
Also did you have attach anchor points for the side arms to the camper body, and do those come with the awning kit?
The two wall brackets came with the awning. Very simple to install. You can review installation and operating instructions here.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Very nice, O.S.! It looks really first rate! Just make sure you can disconnect your ground anchors in a hurry if a sudden storm (with high winds) pops up.
Thanks. And yes, I intend to be very protective of this thing in the event of wind, and remove ground ties quickly should the need arise.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #16

The replacement awning looks great! Our previous pop up, a Viking, came with a Campout awning, and, we loved it. Our current Qwest 10X, has the factory Jayco awning, with two piece poles, tabs that go in holes, pin clips with broken keeper chains that hold it all together, and takes a lot of work and help to set up. We just got the camper a month ago, and, will stick with the current one for the rest of the season, but, come next year, we are getting the Campout. Just curious, how much extra did it cost to get the fade instead of stripes? I like the color fade much better.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #17

what year is your 1207
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailee21 View Post
what year is your 1207
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
[...]Just curious, how much extra did it cost to get the fade instead of stripes? I like the color fade much better.

David
Sorry for the delayed response. I did not see your reply until just now. They offer several new color options. Problem I ran into was that no one had the new colors in stock, so I paid a bit extra primarily due to freight charges. The awning is shipped in a cardboard tube about 6 inches in diameter, and nearly 12 feet long. Doesn't fit on a ups truck, so the freight charge was pretty high. All told, I think I paid around $450 including shipping. The older colors can be found for about $100 less, but I really hated the old colors.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #20

its very nice Jayco started to use a awning just like carefree now so when i got my new 1207 it works just the same i was planing on up grading it when i got my new 1207 but when i set it up i felt no need to do so ... will do this if and when i need to replace my factory one
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote