Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Technical > TechTalk

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Spike99

RV Wiring diagram (white board diagram).

Recently, I've been seeing a few questions about 110/120V and 12V wiring questions. "What powers what and how a `customized` Power Converter can be installed?" type questions. With shared info from their many replies, I created a little diagram. Some folks (like me) understand white board diagrams much better then text words. Hopefully, the below diagram helps others as well.

Also: If below diagram can be improved (or corrected), please send me a PM (Private MSG). I'll update my MASTER with needed corrections / improvements and with Forum's Admin's help, update this thread.

thanks.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Copperlisa

Spike,
Could you tell me about the wires that I see coming from where the thermostat is? I have 2 red (1 thick, 1 thin), 2 white (1 thick, 1 thin) a green and a blue. I wasn't smart enough to take a pic of the wiring before I disconnected things. Now I'm all messed up and I need help. I need to know which is which, please.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Copperlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
rvwink

RV wiring diagram / whitboard diagram

YOU ARE THE MAN! This is beautiful! I have spent days, hours reading blogs and asking questions trying to figure out what is happening to my power or lack of. This is very inderstandable for us newbees.

All of this stems from when I disconnected from campground pwr. and lost all 12v supply. I checked batt. connections and fuses,
underframe grounds. (batt. was 12.6v). After a stop on the way home I had all my 12v power back. After arriving home, again I didn't have 12v power. I plugged in 110v from the house and had all services. Unplugged house power and still no 12v pwr.

Dropped RV off a service center the next morning. After a tech heard my writeup he said "its your converter, bring it around back."
He couldn't get the two fuses out and said they were melted in place and I had know 12v power coming out. I OK'ed the changout of the 45 amp converter and told him that I would like the old unit when I returned.

I came by two days later and was presented a bill for $378.00. I had to ask for the old converted and it took about 10 min. to bring it up frount. Hooked up the RV. Noticed inside that both outside and inside light switches were ON, but no lights. Tried to start the fridge but no lightoff, again no 12v service. I checked batt. voltage, it indicated 12.6v.

Brought tech out and he pulled batt. cover and found voltage OK. He them tugged on batt. cables and one came off the battery.
He then crimped on a new lead and now every thing works great. I ask him about the converter changout and he said it was bad anyway.

After a few days of research and talking to the converter manafacturer, I decided to plug in the converter. No power on the output terminals. I opened the lid on top and everything looked brand new. No dust, no smell, just new looking. However I did notice one of the two heavy wires going onto terminal blades was pulled off and hanging free. I pushed it back on and checked the other one.
They were both on tight and now hard to pull off. I plugged the unit back in and now it is putting out 13.6v as advertised. Also there were no fuses melted in place but they were hade to remove for inspection.

What would be you take on this? Jaycoman
rvwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
tnchuck100

rvwink, I must admit when I started reading your post and stated everything worked when plugged into shore power and then stated the tech said your converter was bad my first thought was "That tech just screwed him over". After reading the entire post I was convinced I was right.

If it were me I would give him ONE chance to make this right. If he doesn't then file a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Come back here and post who this dealer/RV facility was so others may be warned of his incompetence.

On an additional note, the diagram shows the tongue jack wired to the converter. It is not done that way. The jack is wired directly to the battery. I submitted the correction to him but he has not corrected the diagram.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Jmooney

Spike99, or other knowledgeable members, I'm wondering about the distribution route of the 12VDC. Does DC power from the converter route up to the battery disconnect switch first, then back to the fused distribution center ?

In my old TT, I did not have a disconnect switch so I'm unfamiliar with the layout.

Today, while working up front in the new FW, I turned off the battery switch, and all DC devices in the FW shut down, even though I still had shore power up.

Kinda of a Master kill switch?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2007 Dodge 2500 HD 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Mustang65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Spike99, or other knowledgeable members, I'm wondering about the distribution route of the 12VDC. Does DC power from the converter route up to the battery disconnect switch first, then back to the fused distribution center ?

In my old TT, I did not have a disconnect switch so I'm unfamiliar with the layout.

Today, while working up front in the new FW, I turned off the battery switch, and all DC devices in the FW shut down, even though I still had shore power up.

Kinda of a Master kill switch?
The 12VDC goes from the TT's battery charge converter/controller (120VAC powered) to the 12VDC distribution panel. The battery feeds back to the distribution panel.

The battery switch goes between the battery and the inline fuse by the battery(s). The fuse goes between the switch and the 12VDC distribution center. Not sure why you lost 12VDC power when you did.

- Check to see if your 120VAC breaker that feeds the controller may have tripped.
- Check the main 12VDC fuse from the controller.
- With the battery disconnected see if you get 12VDC at the controller
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
RoyBraddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post

Also: If below diagram can be improved (or corrected), please send me a PM (Private MSG). I'll update my MASTER with needed corrections / improvements and with Forum's Admin's help, update this thread.

thanks.

Spike - Are you the owner of this DIAGRAM. I really like this drawing... I have been pointing to this drawing for years and have even discussed changes with the owner. Don't know if that was you I was talking too or not. The owner did come up with an alternate drawing which I didn't like as well as this one so never did much with it.

This drawing you are referring to here has been in circulation for years on the GOOGLE IMAGES... At least three years for me referring to it...

I probably should go back in my responses and get the owners real name... Seems like it was a corporation that originally distributed this drawing.

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote