Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
cekkk

Water pump problem

Filled my fresh water tank for the first time to sanitize it. Filled it, turned on the pump for the first time and gave it plenty of time to pump up to the 45# pressure stated in the Jayco manual. But after a half hour it was still pumping away and water only dribbled out between spurts of air in the line. It just couldn't run enough water to purge the air. Does anyone have an idea of the problem? I can't imagine that the pump was faulty to begin with, but what else could it be?

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
LarryG

i found when i bought mine a couple months back the Jayco guy that un-winterized it left the plug out of the hot water heater.. any water hitting the ground?

LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
norty1

Put the water valves in the "normal" position for the pump. Move them back to "city water" when you have an external water supply.

"Wag more, Bark less"
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
cekkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Put the water valves in the "normal" position for the pump. Move them back to "city water" when you have an external water supply.
Oh-oh. I didn't know there were water valves other than on the hot water bypass system. Where are they? I didn't see mention of them in the manual when I was looking under fresh water s ystem. I did see diagrams of a single external low point valve, but I have two of them, and reference to a pair of low point internal valves that I don't see in my trailer. And the photo of the single valve inside is what I have a pair of on the underside. Not sure I can rely on the manual. But I don't think those have anything to do with what valves you are talking about.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
norty1

These valves are in the utility hatch on the opposite door side of the rig, where the city water is connected. There is a diagram and instructions indicating where to place the valves.

"Wag more, Bark less"
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
cekkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
These valves are in the utility hatch on the opposite door side of the rig, where the city water is connected. There is a diagram and instructions indicating where to place the valves.
My eagle is a TT. It doesn't have that hatch but I think I'll find them. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
RVhiker

My pump came with strainer on the suction side that attaches to the side of the pump. My pump was fine for a while, and then just spit out water occasionally, with a very low flow. The cause, after much trauma on my part, was a missing o-ring in the strainer housing, allowing the pump to suck a bit of air through the strainer. The missing o-ring fits into the black plastic base of the strainer, and the clear part of the strainer housing has a lip that compresses on the o-ring.

Maybe not your problem, but if it is it is an easy fix.

Your pump is acting like mine was - it sure sounds to me like your system is sucking air from somewhere into the pump. Maybe the strainer issue, maybe a loose clamp, or a loose fitting into the bottom of your fresh water tank - or a small hole in the suction line, somewhere.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Terry

Some models have a cut off for to the tank that allows you to siphon RV anti-freeze into the system to winterize it. It should be located right at the pump. I would test using just the cold water closet to the pump, it should take just a few seconds for it to draw up the water from the tank and should make a noticeable change in sound.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
norty1

Sorry if I am confusing you with my reply above. I am explaining how my fifth wheel Eagle works. Tour problem still seems like a valve open incorrectly somewhere but I understand that TT's do not have the same valve setup.

"Wag more, Bark less"
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
nylyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Some models have a cut off for to the tank that allows you to siphon RV anti-freeze into the system to winterize it. It should be located right at the pump. I would test using just the cold water closet to the pump, it should take just a few seconds for it to draw up the water from the tank and should make a noticeable change in sound.
My 5th has this also. Find the water pump on the inlet side there is a valve to choose either water tank or the siphon hose.

Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote