Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Newtron

Unhappy Propane tank problem!!!

This is my 2nd trip with my brand new Jayco 154BH and I am having problems with my propane tank. I tried to light up the stove and could not get any flame so i tried lighting up the water heater thinking that there must be an air lock in the gas line, flame came up and remained up for a few seconds. I lit up the heater again, but with the same results.

The flame lights up for a few seconds and then dies out. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
bayleightucker

Had the same problem with our 184bh. Loosen the propane connection at the tank and then tighten it back up. This has worked 3 times on our tt.....happy camping!

bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Newtron

Tried it twice but still had the same problem. After a couple of hours, I decided to give it a try and to my surprise, I got a steady flame....
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Rgriffis

This brings back memories. I bought a 184bh last year and had the same issue on the first trip. I took it back to the camper dealer and they kept it forever. They said it was the hose that went from the tank to the regulator. There is a valve inside of the hose that when it senses a surge in gas flow it will shut off. Another one of the safety features that is a PITA. So they replaced the hose. It worked for a while but started having the same issue. The way I get around it is open the gas valve on the tank extremely slowly. I mean very slow. This will let the gas go through and not trip the valve in the hose. I have had no problems since and have used a lot. I wish I could order a special hose that does not have this valve. If anyone knows where I can get such a hose please let me know.
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
tnchuck100

I have an automatic changeover regulator. I leave both tank valves on all of the time. This way the lines remain pressurized. There are no system leaks so this is not a problem. As a matter of fact if you think leaving the tanks turned on all the time would be dangerous you should also be concerned about leaks when camping. I would rather discover at leak at home rather than while camping.

I know there are pro's and con's to leaving the tanks on all the time. This is just my practice and why.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
RedHorse1

There is a valve in the pig-tail connector that will shut the gas off if a high flow occurrs (like a broken line). I was told by a knowledgeable guy at a propane shop that sometimes opening the tank valve too quickly will cause this valve to shut and that I should open the tank valve slowly. Once the valve closes it may open itself up over time. This same fellow told me that rapping the connector a few times on something hard will usually open them up also.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Seann45

You had air in the propane lines.. this is a common problem.. get a long handled BBQ lighter light it and hold it by a stove burner with the burner turned on high.. it may take a min or two for all the air to get purged but after that it should work well.. if the problem persists after several outings have the system checked for leaks...
515 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (660 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
83 days camping in 2014
247 days boondocking in 2013
Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Newtron

Thank you to all for your suggestions, I now understand that I had an "air lock" in the propane system since I had a normal flame after a few hours. I did open that gas valve very slowly as advised by my fellow camper, hence the problem of the high flow valve was not the suspect and there were no leaks in the piping. I have another trip coming up in next week and will know for sure as to what has happened.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
dlindsay001

I have a new 184Bh that I have had for 4 weeks now and was having the same problem. I traded my propane tank for a different one at a local store and I have been opening the valve slowly and have not had the problem again. It was very annoying though, I had it happen 3 times and it seemed like it would take a few hours before the valve in the line would open back up again.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Apinkrn

We have a x20E and have been dealing with similar issues. Beyond frustrating. The time and money spent dealing with this issue is over the top. I'm tempted to take it back to our dealer and tell him that until it works without a hitch, we don't want it back.
We were supposed to leave for a weeks vacation next week but the propane issue has popped up again. We visited our third dealer over the weekend who mentioned that many are having issues with the safety feature tripping if it's not opened very slowly. We bought our third hose and it's working fine. However, I could go out and try to restart and nothing would happen.
It's making us both batty.
Amy

Apinkrn is offline   Reply With Quote