Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
DelawareEagle

Air Conditioning in trailer

Hi All,

I have a 2011 q304BHK that I had a few issues With but now I'm trying to see if anyone else has experienced the A/C concern. We are camping in Michigan mad as you may know it is really hot here. Todays temp was 98. We have the standard 13,500 btu model. During the day we cannot keep the temp in the camper at our setting of 75. Today it was 88 inside. I contacted the dealer and he said the unit is working fine because there is some cold air coming out and the condensation is dripping off the roof. I replaced the analog thermostat with a Coleman-Mach digital one thinking that might help. The dealer saint the camper is just too hot and the unit is working as hard as it could and it's just too hot. I am doubtful because last year we took it to ft. Wilderness at Disney and it was like a meat locker inside.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does this sound as if it could be plausible? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

:USA:
DelawareEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
familybonding

We were camping in central PA over the 4th of July with temps near 100. One afternoon I was taking a nap with my daughter and I woke up hot. I switched the ac unit from low to high, but it couldn"t catch up. It took til the sun went down to cool the TT back to a comfortable temp. The next day we put the ac on high when we ate lunch and let it there all afternoon and it worked great. Maybe your unit just got behind and can"t catch up. Just a thought. Maybe this will help.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
dg1971
Site Team

You could have a problem with your a/c but as familybonding said, and as I have experienced in Texas, you need to go ahead and crank it up before it gets hot and leave it on all day to where it doesn't have to play catch-up. Unless you do have a problem with the a/c, it should work much better. Direct sunlight and humidity also play a part in the efficiency of the unit. By the way, Greg, welcome to Jayco Owners Forum. You may want to go to the New Members Forum and tell us about yourself. Good luck with the a/c situation....let us know how it turns out.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
2edgesword

What I have hear as a rule of thumb is the AC should be able to provide a 20 degree differential between the outside and inside air temperature. If it hits 100 degrees outside maintaining 80 inside is probably going to be about the best you can get, especially if you start with a unit that is already heated up. I'm sure if you have a thermal package or run two AC's this gets improved but there is only so much heat the AC unit can transfer in a given period of time.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
paflyfisher

I think an important point to remember is if you wait to long to turn the AC on, everything in the RV is hot, the bed, couch, cabinets, etc. and the AC is trying to cool them as well as the inside air. Morel of the story, turn it on early. I have a 36BHDS, which is a big RV for a 13,500 AC to cool but it works - turn on early!!!!!!!
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Grunge Grown Up

Living in Florida, we always have the AC on. As others have said, it takes so long to cool all the stuff in the house/TT that its takes quite a while before you feel cool.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
What I have hear as a rule of thumb is the AC should be able to provide a 20 degree differential between the outside and inside air temperature. If it hits 100 degrees outside maintaining 80 inside is probably going to be about the best you can get, especially if you start with a unit that is already heated up. I'm sure if you have a thermal package or run two AC's this gets improved but there is only so much heat the AC unit can transfer in a given period of time.
No, the 20 degree differential is between the discharge and return air. It's also refered to by people in the AC trade as "the split across the coil" or "Delta T". The outside air temperature means little except for the heat that it is pounding the trailer with. Compressor amp draw can be measured relevant to the outside ambient temperature to determine if the system is correctly charged without having to tap into the system, but that's a subject for another discussion.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Merlin

I have to agree, turn it on early and even at that it still runs often. My new 308 will make my AC run for hours if not the entire day before it is able to shut off for the first time, measured the air temp and it was blowing 45* cold aid. Biggest mistake I could have made was listen to the dealer instead of my gut about upgrading to the 15k unit when ordering my new trailer, never again will I do that!!!

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 25 RKS - retired

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
RedHorse1

Make sure the filters are clean. I'm suprised how fast "stuff" collects on them. I clean them in soapy water and blot dry and put 'em back in to finish drying. Be gentle with them as they don't look too sturdy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
buckeyejim

I have a Eagle 322FKS 2 slides, with a 15,000 A/C. I tinted the windows with film from Lowes, and we keep the shades in the night postion. Also in extreme heat you can cut up a car window sun shield and slide it behind your window shades. Makes a huge difference if the sun is shinning on the glass in the heat of the afternoon. Like everyone else said, cool it down early.

buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote