Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Replacing the canvas on a 23b(2001)

Hey all....The new canvas ends from Jayco for my 23b will be here in two weeks and I am excited to get them in place. Has anyone ever replaced the old snap style with the new Velcro style? Tips or hints on new installation would be welcome! I did not take the old ones off so it will be a challenge for me to get them back to where they should be!

Thanks!
Jason Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Just ordered my front tent for my 05 23b.Mine comes with snaps made in mine.So i dont have to use velcro.The only thing is jayco doesnt two tone them.They come in neutral color.Let me know how the job goes.Looks prety simple.Thanks
logan262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

That is interesting because when I ordered mine from Jayco they told me that they no longer made them with the snaps, hence the reason for the velcro question. The guy told me that I could get snaps to put on the new canvas. I would just have to line them up and make sure of the correct placement and that is why they will not ship them with the snaps already in it. They did tell me about the neutral color and since I never saw the original ones I have no image in mind to compare them to. I am only concerned about how they attach with the tiny screws that the original owner left me with. I have been to dealer and seen the new configuration and it looks very solid with the velcro and overhang. The inside is pinned down with what looks to be small aluminum bars.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Well the new ends came in........two tone and snaps. No directions or additional hardware. So after about two hours they were installed and look great. However the snaps do not lineup correctly on the queen side so I will have to add some to that side. Also there are extra snaps on the corners. They were off about an inch. It was interesting to install them I had to use a set of Robo pliers, a pot scrapper and a small wooden spatula.....all to get the new black edge into the j-channel. So be careful and take your time. Then replace the small screws that hold it in place. So no Velcro as I was told to prepare for! The queen was the hardest to install because it has piece of weather stripping just above the j-channel so it is tight to get to. The remaining question is...what is the proper order of folding them up? Does the bunk end fold down under the bed and then the tent end go in? There is Velcro on the bed as if to hold it in place when it is folded up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0503.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	6802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0504.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	6803
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Re. Replacing Canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Biddle View Post
... It was interesting to install them I had to use a set of Robo pliers, a pot scrapper and a small wooden spatula.....all to get the new black edge into the j-channel. ...
I used an automotive brake star wheel adjusting tool and then a paint can opener with 90 degree bent end to seat the edge home into the track. For the top J channel I found it easiest to flip the canvas back onto the top of the camper roof. That allowed me to stand up and insert the rubber. Much easier than working over my head as I started to do. FWIW. vic
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

This is not the exact same model.. but I think it shows the general idea.. perhaps it will help...
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-274S.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7552

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #7

Lady Wendolyn,
Thanks for that picture. When we got our 23b the mattresses were not properly in place. The proper arrangement is very clear now.

We have learned that it is easy for the tent to move out into the seals and potentially cause leaks. We double check that the fabric is in far enough each time. Thanks again. vic
Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

Can someone supply me with a link to order parts directly from Jayco? I need to replace the gasket seal around both hybrid doors and may go ahread and replace the canvas as well.
cma7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

Smile

Jaycopartsdirect.com
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Thank you. I just sent them a request.
cma7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Replacing canvas ends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma7777 View Post
Can someone supply me with a link to order parts directly from Jayco? I need to replace the gasket seal around both hybrid doors and may go ahread and replace the canvas as well.
Did you ever have any luck with this project? How did you order the canvas ends?
Macer is offline   Reply With Quote