Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

How do I treat our roof after it's first winter..

We have had our trailer stored outside at the dealership over our very long -40 degree Canadian winter. I would like to roof to last as long as possible (obviously) and with that in mind I want to make sure we maintain it correctly. A few questions... as I am the handy woman in the family, rather than my husband being the handy man... but I would appreciate some direction from those with experience.

#1. Should we buy one of the "roof treatment" sprays or products that the dealership sells? Is this necessary? How does it help?
#2. Should we reseal or calk any of the roof seams? How about eternal bond tape? Do you put this on only in case of a leak, or is it done preventably?
#3 Is there any kind of preventative maintenance to do on our slide roof and rubber seal? I have heard we should spray a rubber lubricant on it? Is this correct?
Thanks in advance..
Lady W

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

How do I treat our roof after it's first winter..

I clean and treat my roof twice a year. I check all joints that are chaulked for cracks and reseal as needed. I use 303 protectant on my roof and on all slide seals. I feel this protects the roof and seals and stops future problems by catching them early.
I dont have to deal with snow or extreme low temps like you but we have been known to have some high temps and alot of rain here in south texas.
Hope this helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Team

Main thing is to inspect it with a fine tooth comb at least annually. Look at every joint on seams and roof openings and re-caulk as needed, also check for "picks" and small tears in the material from low hanging limbs or whatever. I clean the roof with a spray on cleaner and scrub gently with a brush. Rinse the top and sides well.

I have installed eternabond on my front seam and will probably do the rear later just as a precaution.

I do not have the cold and snow/ice accumulation you must have, so more rather than less inspection may be in order. I would be wary of trusting this to anyone I did not know was dependable and honest.

Some use 303 or some other silicone spray on the roof after cleaning it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Good Morning Ladywendolyn,
The manufacturer Alpha Systems recommends cleaning it with a common household cleaner, and inspect the seals.

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Home

I think you have an EPDM rubber roof. The newer ones are being roofed with Alpha-Ply, 60% rubber, 40% plastic. Either way, the manufacturer's suggested maintenance program is simply - keep it clean and sealed.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

Some use 303 or some other silicone spray on the roof after cleaning it.
Do not use silicone.....303 is OK but unnecessary as listed in the manufacturers paperwork referenced above.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do not use silicone.....303 is OK but unnecessary as listed in the manufacturers paperwork referenced above.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.
x2. I use spic and span as suggested by the manufacturer and it gets my roof nice and white with a soft bristle auto brush. I do it 3-4 times a year to keep the balck streaking down and after a week under the tree's in some CG's it can get quite dirty. Alpha says that if the black starts to come through youcan re-paint it with their "paint" which is just that. A protectant might only last for a week or until the first heavy rain. Some dealers clean the roof with pressure washers which I would never think to be good.

Your seals are the main concern and should be looked at carefully especially if your roof is not wrapped over the edges. If you have a seam down the sides pay very close attention to them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

This is a copy-and-paste from an Alpha Systems document:

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

An Alpha rep told me the actual roof material is black, and the white surface is a coating. The white color being reflective keeps the inside temperatures easier to control.

Over a period of years, the coating will erode away and you would start seeing the black material in spots. Eventually the whole roof would be black with no other effect than it would lose its reflective ability. (I can't imagine being in Yuma in August with a black roof and a 13,5K AC unit.) The coating is renewable.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

Ok this sounds good... Any specific caulk recommended ... Is there RV caulk? Or just exterior house caulk?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Dicor rubber roof, self leveling sealant. No household caulks. Almost any dealership should have it. Those type things I usualy get from the dealers so I can read all the details and ask the techs. It's pennies in cost but hundreds in advise.

Some keep eternabond tape on hand as well for any tears. I have to add this to my box of tricks this season...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #10

Yep, just a house hold cleaner to clean the roof and Dicor sealant to go over and questionable spots.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #11

Throughout the years we've found Dawn liguid soap is a good overall cleaner/degreaser. After washing down the roof I always then wash the trailer sides. Don't want any streaks...
Always double check the front roof seal as it takes the worst beating from the wind while traveling. Eternabond tape is the best but be sure to clean well before using it.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #12

I to use Dawn dishsoap. As for a brush I have an adjustable length handled carwash brush that also holds the soap. It works great on the TT roof and walls.

One tip; if you do not have a permanent ladder on our TT, be very careful placing your ladder. I put a small tear in my roofing membrane the first time. Now I make sure the stabilizers are down, I wrap the ladder upright with a couple of old rags. Since that learning experience I have had no issues. I also make sure I have nothing in my pockets and my shoes are clean. That roofing membrane is extremely thin.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote