Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

looking at 31.5 RLTS

Thinking about moving from a 24T to a 31.5RLTS. Any feedback on that unit?
Purchase price?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

We purchased ours about two months ago and love it. Really roomy living room area, pulls great even at over 10,000 lbs. smaller outside storage area then we were used to on our older camper. Camping world has these for just over $30k. We really enjoy the floor plan layout.
01Ford F-350 Crew Cab,PowerStroke
Markwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
If you like lots of cabinet storage and a very roomy living area this is a great choice. Ours is a 2012 with the Deluxe Package (solid surface counters, large Fridge, and a few other options that I can't recall at this time. We love the unit and look forward to many years of happy camping in it. We are leaving next week for a month long trip to several western states. It comes completely prepped for a second AC over the bed room. Like the previous poster said the basement is a bit tight but we manage to get all we need in there. Our units basement is configured differently than the ones that are shipping now, the front wall folds down to make the basement one large space rather than separate from the front compartment. The newer ones also have the batteries in the front compartment where ours is in its own compartment on the side just under the water heater door.

We dumped the swivel rockers and put a couple of Lazy Boy wall-hugger recliners in the back. If you do buy this model be sure you figure a way to secure the rockers cause they will move around on you.

All in all it is an excellent value for the $$. We paid $32,800 with the high option package.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Well I hate to burst the bubble but like I told my dealer...the Amish should NOT be proud of my 31.5. Most of the things were not major except for the last item. More on that in a moment. All of the paint on the ends on the trim pieces joining the facer boards around the slides just fell off. They replaced them all and now round two the paint is starting to fall off again. The bathroom door had to be replaced due to a big piece of the wood was gouged out. The molding in several places runs from wide to thin showing poor alignment. There are some kind of humps under the vinyl in the kitchen floor at the heat register. The wire boot on the antenna was not secured when I did the PDI and I told the tech and he pushed it back down. It came off again. Fortunately I caught it before it rained and sealed it down this time. The Propane/CO detector malfunctioned and had to be replaced. There was a propane odor at the tanks and the dealer replaced the hoses and the regulator. I still smell propane every now and then but I have checked all connections and cannot find anything. The entire set of drawers left of the sink just collapsed when the brace pulled out from the counter top. I was able to prop it back up with a piece of wood that held till I got it back to WV and the dealer. The magic blue smoke escaped from the 32" RCA TV in the front room. There was a previous thread about tape pulling loose in the corners of the slidse...count me in on that one also. Now for the biggie. The fiberglass at the lower left corner of the bedroom slide has split horizontally from the corner of the slide and is headed for the front cap. Right now it is about 6" in length. My concern is that there may be frame failure causing this...SOOO they are going to haul it back to Indiana to see what the issue is. I have asked my dealer if the plan is to replace the whole side wall. He did not know but I am scared to death that I will have a nightmare of leaks if they pull the whole side wall off and try to replace it based on the quality of the work that I have seen in my unit. Granted this was not a $80K unit but I would have hoped for a little better quality. This unit is about to pull ahead of the POS Innsbruck that I owned one time. It is not quite there yet but if they take it back to the factory and introduce leaks in the sidewall repair then it will be numero uno in the POS category. The first Jayco I had was a fairly decent unit but this one has not proven to be. My dealer has been right there so it is not an issue with the dealer it was the lack of quality control on the factory's part. Jayco has been responsive to the emails but that still does not make for a happy camper when so many issues keep popping up on a less than two year old unit. YMMV
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #5

My 31.5 also has the exact same crack on front wall and Jayco also wants it back to the factory. I am not sure if I want it back when they get done for the same reasons as rbrumfeild.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
Thinking about moving from a 24T to a 31.5RLTS. Any feedback on that unit?
Purchase price?
rbrumfield, hammer----I also have a 2011 31.5rlts. I had the same crack you guys are talking about. Talked with Jayco, took trailer back to Jayco and they fixed the crack. They took pictures so I could see the problem and pictures after the repair. Problem was either a brace pulled loose or was not welded properly in the beginning. They repaired and added more bracing. That has been almost a year ago and so far no more problems. I have put about 10,000 miles since repair on all kinds of roads. I left the trailer on a Monday and picked it up the following Friday. They could not have been nicer to us. Nice people to deal with. They did not take the whole side off the trailer. They will take the front cap off, cut part of the side and repair when done. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE WHERE THEY PUT IT BACK TOGETHER WHEN THEY ARE DONE. It's been a year now and I still can't tell where they made the repair. I was like you, very upset when I saw that crack. Started out about a half inch long when I first saw it and grew to about 6 inches before it was repaired. I was also afraid of hidden damage, but they showed me that didn't happen. Talk to Jayco, take it to get it fixed. You won't be sorry. They actually offered to pick up the trailer at my home and bring it back when finished, but I opted to take it there and bring it back.
Traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindriver View Post
rbrumfield, hammer----I also have a 2011 31.5rlts. I had the same crack you guys are talking about. Talked with Jayco, took trailer back to Jayco and they fixed the crack. They took pictures so I could see the problem and pictures after the repair. Problem was either a brace pulled loose or was not welded properly in the beginning. They repaired and added more bracing. That has been almost a year ago and so far no more problems. I have put about 10,000 miles since repair on all kinds of roads. I left the trailer on a Monday and picked it up the following Friday. They could not have been nicer to us. Nice people to deal with. They did not take the whole side off the trailer. They will take the front cap off, cut part of the side and repair when done. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE WHERE THEY PUT IT BACK TOGETHER WHEN THEY ARE DONE. It's been a year now and I still can't tell where they made the repair. I was like you, very upset when I saw that crack. Started out about a half inch long when I first saw it and grew to about 6 inches before it was repaired. I was also afraid of hidden damage, but they showed me that didn't happen. Talk to Jayco, take it to get it fixed. You won't be sorry. They actually offered to pick up the trailer at my home and bring it back when finished, but I opted to take it there and bring it back.
Thanks for the information. They are going to pick my unit up at the dealers in October. I will be greatly relieved if it is just a bracing problem. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

We just bought a 31.5 RLTS and love it. It is a little dark in the kitchen area so I am having a window put in, the problem we have is a popping floor and the dealer is working on it. We had a 1996 26' Komfort which was a great 5th wheel with a lot of quality and I think this Eagle is comparable. Love my Eagle.
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback! I like the feature of the two slides in the living area to provide more room for grandchildren!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crablad View Post
We just bought a 31.5 RLTS and love it. It is a little dark in the kitchen area so I am having a window put in, the problem we have is a popping floor and the dealer is working on it. We had a 1996 26' Komfort which was a great 5th wheel with a lot of quality and I think this Eagle is comparable. Love my Eagle.
Where did you have the window installed and do you have pictures of it
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Traded in our 24T today. Pick up the 2013 31.5 on Friday morning. Added the second AC unit.
Will report after the weekend break-in!