Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #1

Firestone Ride Rite 2005 Ford F250 4wd

I upgraded from a 24LT this summer to an Eagle 31.5 RLST 5W. I noticed a big difference in the weight of the trailers (and so did my truck). I studied many posts on the blogs and chose to install Timbrens to replace the stock bump stop because of a lower cost and favorable feedback. They did make a difference but not enough difference to offset the cost in my opinion. My truck does not have overload springs so there was still some "sag" in the backend and "light feeling on the front end" while driving. I went back to the blogs for more in-deptch research and found mixed opinions on the Timbrens vs Ride Rite and decided to go ahead and order the Ride Rite kit.

You Tube provided examples of how to install the Ride Rite kits on my F250 (I studied before the kit arrived). Kit arrived and I laid out on the bench to separate the parts and preassemble as suggested. First side took almost 2 hours (working by myself). Second side took 30 minutes. I try to purchase local whenever possible to support my friends and neighbors that operate businesses in the area. However, after a lot of searching for pricing local and on the web, I found the Ride Rite kit for $267.00 (which was a great price).

The next search on the web was to decide what "empty psi" I should use for the air bags. I settled on 38psi. Took a 125 mile (one way) trip across two lane, curvy roads. I could not believe the difference the air bags made. Truck and trailer was almost perfectly level and pulled like a dream. I also got 10mpg vs. 8mpg trip I made with the Timbrens.

If you are deciding on what route to go when looking for support for your sagging F250 - I would definitely suggest going with the Firestone Ride Rite kit.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

AAAAAHHHHHH another believer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

Just out of curiosity, since I'm looking at getting a new TV, is your
box long or short?
And would that make any difference in the sag before upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
I upgraded from a 24LT this summer to an Eagle 31.5 RLST 5W. I noticed a big difference in the weight of the trailers (and so did my truck). I studied many posts on the blogs and chose to install Timbrens to replace the stock bump stop because of a lower cost and favorable feedback. They did make a difference but not enough difference to offset the cost in my opinion. My truck does not have overload springs so there was still some "sag" in the backend and "light feeling on the front end" while driving. I went back to the blogs for more in-deptch research and found mixed opinions on the Timbrens vs Ride Rite and decided to go ahead and order the Ride Rite kit.

You Tube provided examples of how to install the Ride Rite kits on my F250 (I studied before the kit arrived). Kit arrived and I laid out on the bench to separate the parts and preassemble as suggested. First side took almost 2 hours (working by myself). Second side took 30 minutes. I try to purchase local whenever possible to support my friends and neighbors that operate businesses in the area. However, after a lot of searching for pricing local and on the web, I found the Ride Rite kit for $267.00 (which was a great price).

The next search on the web was to decide what "empty psi" I should use for the air bags. I settled on 38psi. Took a 125 mile (one way) trip across two lane, curvy roads. I could not believe the difference the air bags made. Truck and trailer was almost perfectly level and pulled like a dream. I also got 10mpg vs. 8mpg trip I made with the Timbrens.

If you are deciding on what route to go when looking for support for your sagging F250 - I would definitely suggest going with the Firestone Ride Rite kit.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

I'm very happy with my Ride Rites, also. However, I'm to old and to lazy and hired a former student of mine who is now a mechanic to do the installation. I'm glad I go the in-cab controller to quickly and easily increase/decrease the air pressure.

I like the ability to control the leveling, but one thing I didn't do is clock whether or not the Rite Rite system effected my mileage. My quess is that towing my 5ver in a level attitude would optimize the wind resistance for the better.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

My truck is a shortbed.