Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

Door lock recall

We received a recall notice today in the mail regarding our deadbolt cylinder on the entry door. It's saying that occupants may be locked in the TT due to defective cylinder. Has anyone else received this notice?
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Got one today. It is for a fasted brand lock. I checked mine and I have a Bauer brand. So mine is not involved. The letter said the deadbolt key should only be able to go in the 12 and 3 o'clock positions. The bad one can be put to the 9 o'clock position which would make the inside lock unusable, locking people inside. That would be bad.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Just so you know.... I have a Bauer door latch assembly on our Eagle's front and rear doors. The key numbers are the same, less the "HF" in front of the numbers. As mentioned in another POST (see link below), my front door suffers from the recall notice. It turns to the 9 o'clock position and the key can be removed. I tried locking it and removing the key @ 9 o'clock and a few times I encountered the issue of the assembly not being able to be unlocked/opened from the inside. We contacted the mfr on the recall (Fastec) and they instructed us to fill out the "ONLINE" form and submit it. They are sending us a new cylinder and we need to change it and send the old one back. So, even though it has Bauer's name on the key, it appears that the tumbler is manufactured by Fastec.

I would suggest that EVERYONE go out and perform the test on the TT locks. Better to be safe than sorry. If you can take the key out in the 9 o'clock position, your lock is affected.
Don

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...el-43610-Jayco
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

I got the letter today and I also have the Bauer keys without the "HF" but haven't tested my lock.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Also got the letter today. Have to check the locks but have Bauer keys......
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Just so you know.... I have a Bauer door latch assembly on our Eagle's front and rear doors. The key numbers are the same, less the "HF" in front of the numbers. As mentioned in another POST (see link below), my front door suffers from the recall notice. It turns to the 9 o'clock position and the key can be removed. I tried locking it and removing the key @ 9 o'clock and a few times I encountered the issue of the assembly not being able to be unlocked/opened from the inside. We contacted the mfr on the recall (Fastec) and they instructed us to fill out the "ONLINE" form and submit it. They are sending us a new cylinder and we need to change it and send the old one back. So, even though it has Bauer's name on the key, it appears that the tumbler is manufactured by Fastec.

I would suggest that EVERYONE go out and perform the test on the TT locks. Better to be safe than sorry. If you can take the key out in the 9 o'clock position, your lock is affected.
Don

Man, this is what I love about this web-site!

I also received the notice today as well. I saw my key had the Bauer label on it and I thought the recall didn't affect me..... Until I saw Mustang65s' post. Sure enough, my Bauer key has one of the numbers listed, just without the "HF" on it. So, I'll play it safe..... I'm going to the trailer and see what happens.....

Just a suggestion, maybe a Mod can post this in the General Section as well. I don't normally look at the Recall section....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

I got the letter today and my lock is affected by the recall. I tested the lock and it is defective. I emailed a request for the replacement parts.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #8

We got the recall letter last week, our lock is on the recall list, also emailed request for replacement parts
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #9

Here is a link to an RV article about Evergreen trailers having the same issue with Fastec locks.

http://rvnewsservice.com/evergreen-r...er-lock-issue/
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #10

I got the notice. I have the Bauer lock. I tested it anyway. Mine is OK, no problem.

However, I was surprised that I even opened the envelope. Even tho it said Recall Notice. I usually do not open anything sent "Presort Standard" as that is how junk mail is sent. If a recall is deemed necessary it should not be sent as junk mail.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #11

Got the letter a couple days ago but our keys did not match the code.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Mine was not on the recall list and it tested OK, so it seems like I missed this one.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #13

Just went out to check the numbers on my keys and fortunately they don't match any recall numbers. The keys have a oblong shaped black top with the name "Bauer" on it. Although I haven't had a problem in 2 years, you can bet I'll check them for the 9 o'clock position. Thanks for the info.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #14

Bauer locks are NOT part of the Fastec recall.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LLRV View Post
Bauer locks are NOT part of the Fastec recall.
Mustang65, any comment on this since your Bauer key will come out at the 9 o'clock position?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #16

Thank you for clarifying. We have the Bauer locks too. We are heading out this weekend, I would hate to get locked inside but luckily we have 2 doors.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #17

Received the letter last night. Unfortunately I can't check the trailer since it is burried in the snow in storage off property. Will check the keys to see if the number matches and check the lock come spring.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

There was already an ongoing Fastec door lock recall thread before this one started. Curiously, the manufacture dates for the defective lock are identical to the dates referenced in the recall that many of us are posting about now. What isn't clear to me is if the Fastec lock assemblies are the same or different, since the problem referenced in both notices is the same.

In any event, it only takes a little time to determine if you have the defective Fastec lock and report your findings on the Fastec recall webpage as Fastec requests, whether or not the lock is defective and regardless of the brand (Fastec or Bauer). As I posted in the other thread in response to another poster's question, as best as I can determine Fastec and Bauer are entirely separate and unrelated companies, but both do manufacture locks and hardware for the RV industry.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Mustang65, any comment on this since your Bauer key will come out at the 9 o'clock position?
THE FOLLOWING IS BASED ON A CALL TO FASTEC!!!!!

My keys say Bauer on them, the numbers on the keys match WITHOUT the letters "HF" preceding the key number. We CALLED FASTEC, the originators of the RECALL, and they reviewed our information, "We have a KEY with a number that is on the RECALL list but it does not have the letters "HF" preceding the key number". She asked if we encountered the 9 o'clock issue with the key being able to be removed in the 9 o'clock position. We responded with a YES, she said fill out the ONLINE form and we will send you a NEW TUMBLER to replace the DEFECTIVE one. (So based on that reply from FASTEC, it does not matter if the key has BAUER on it or not)

So with that said, and based on the conversation with FASTEC, the name BAUER on the key is IRRELEVENT and you NEED to check the KEYS to see if they match the recall numbers, and then check the lock to see if it has the 9 o'clock issue. If it has the 9'oclock recall issue, FILL OUT THE ONLINE FORM and submit it. I believe that the tumbler may have been made by FASTEC and installed in the BAUER lock assemblies. EITHER WAY CHECK YOUR LOCKS
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #20

Interesting, when I called Fastec, I was told that the customer would be responsible to pay for new lock tumbler assemblies if the lock was Bauer. But I agree, check your locks.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote