Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Converter/Charger Upgrade??

My 2005 Jayco Eagle came with a IOTA ILC-3045 Load Center (converter/charger) which is only a 2-stage battery charger. Jayco didn't use this particular set-up in all their models, but the disadvantage is that the converter doesn't have a connection port to add the IQ4 upgrade ($20 upgrade to make the existing charger a 3-stage).

I'm considering purchasing an upgraded converter/charger (PD9245), so my question is this: Has anyone that owns a Eagle 278FBS installed such an upgrade in the "very" limited corner cabinet area (where existing unit resides) that the 278FBS floor plan provides? Refer to thumbnail below...., the Load Center is the black covered area near the floor (below DVD/Stereo).

Since IOTA doesn't make an upgraded converter/charger that will mount on the existing Load Center frame (where the existing 2-stage unit is), the upgraded unit will have to be mounted remote from the Load Center.

Since I'm in process of upgrading to two 6V deep cycle batteries, I want to maximize the efficiency of my converter/charging system.

Any thoughts?

Bob

ps: The IQ4 smart charger will work if your Jayco "IOTA DLS" converter/charger is mounted separate from of the Load Center. http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm
If your newer Jayco has a Progressive Dynamics brand converter/charger, I believe it has the Charge Wizard built in providing a 3-stage charging system.
Attached Thumbnails
P4060254a.jpg  

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #2

In my previous '93 19ft TT, its factory 40A Converter blew. One day, it suddenly stopped working, yet its cooling fan still worked. Checked around and best fit was PD45A (same model you want to purchase). To my surprise, the new PD45A was actually smaller physical size then its factory 40A Converter. Its fan runs quiet and it had more "new technology" functions. For my setup (with limited space under its sink cabinet), it was a simple in / out. All connections / wiring positions ligned right up.

Note: From 40A to 45A Converter upgrade, its wires didn't need to be replaced with thicker guage. For 5 amp increase, I used the same factory wires.

For physical dimensions of the PD45A, surf: http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd9245c_2.html

Hope this helps....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Spike 99,

Thanks for the reply. I agree, the PD9245 has a small footprint and one of the reasons I selected it. I didn't plan on changing the wire gauge as well.

Once the weather warms up (yeah, right) I hope to get behind my cabinet to see if there is any physical space to mount the new PD unit.

I do have one option, and that would be to mount the new PD unit up-front in the pass through storage area, then tie into the outside batteries (better charging efficiency). Think all I would have to do is drop a 120V line to it....,maybe from my bedroom above? I could possibly then just disconnect the wires from my existing IOTA converter/charger and leave it mounted on the Load Center frame for a back-up.

I guess the cabinet space will determine the path I pursue, that's why I was wondering if anybody had worked behind a cabinet like mine.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote