Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

A window reseal

I have read of the need to re-seal windows due to eventual deterioration of the foam seal that Jayco uses. I re-sealed one window today, and learned a lot. I was pleased that there was no sign of a water leak, but my trailer is only about 6 months old. Here's what the hole looks like without the window installed:

The outside edge of the window flange had left a slight mark on the side of the trailer. Note the distance from that mark to the edge of the hole on this side (the left side) - about 1/2 inch; the corner of the putty knife is on that mark.

Note the distance from the flange mark on this side (the right side)- about 1/8 of an inch. So we have only 1/8 inch of surface contact using a seal that does not last to keep out water.

I wanted to get the window better centered in the hole than Jayco did to provide the maximum sealing surface all around the window. I marked the outside of the trailer with electrical tape placed 1/2 inch from the edge of the hole, like this:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...cc002/tape.jpg

I removed the old sealing foam and used 3/4" wide by 1/8" inch butyl rubber on the flange. I then centered the window inside the marks made by the electrical tape. Note the difference in the installation location when the window is centered:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...002/locate.jpg

After the butyl has set for a while and quits oozing, I'll put a cap on the top of the window of clear geocel caulking. I think that the vacuum bonded luan and foam sandwich that Jayco uses is a good way to construct a light, strong, somewhat insulated wall. But with this type of construction, if the windows leak there will be big, expensive problems. And using the sealing methods and installation carelessness that Jayco uses, eventually there will be a leak. Therefore, I'll be re-sealing all my windows soon.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Team

I like what you are doing and agree that the windows should be centered better, or the holes cut smaller so there is a larger mating surface. One concern I would have with doing this on a new trailer is that any leak in the future could be blamed on you by a unsympathetic dealer, even if its not coming from the window. Not sure if this conflicts with warranty or not. Just something to consider. I am also planning on resealing mine after warranty period. On the uneven aluminum siding on mine there are large gaps between the window and the siding for water to collect. The only thing stopping it from coming in is that foam gasket. On the top of the windows gravity could make water "find" any imperfection in the gasket. So a bead of Proflex around the perimeter would help with that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

You are right about the warranty issue. If a window I reseal leaks, it's my fault and I would not expect the warranty to cover it. But, the alternative is to wait to reseal the windows after two years. Frankly, I don't think that the windows are going to remain leak free for that long. If water damage is discovered during the warranty period (and I would think that the only way to discover it early is to remove the window, and look) Jayco is obligated to fix it - maybe - but I would still have a damaged, but repaired, trailer. If there is damage that is not discovered during the warranty period, then the owner is likely going to have to fix it.

I said that Jayco would maybe cover water leak damage during the warranty period because the owner is liable for maintenance; and I think that Jayco considers weather sealing to be an owner maintenance responsibility. Or at least they could argue that.

Besides, in Texas it's too hot to go camping. So I've got lots of time to work on my trailer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Well I`m sure with your attention to detail they will not leak, and will be better much then factory install. You should not have to worry about them for a long time.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I like what you are doing and agree that the windows should be centered better, or the holes cut smaller so there is a larger mating surface. One concern I would have with doing this on a new trailer is that any leak in the future could be blamed on you by a unsympathetic dealer, even if its not coming from the window. Not sure if this conflicts with warranty or not. Just something to consider. I am also planning on resealing mine after warranty period. On the uneven aluminum siding on mine there are large gaps between the window and the siding for water to collect. The only thing stopping it from coming in is that foam gasket. On the top of the windows gravity could make water "find" any imperfection in the gasket. So a bead of Proflex around the perimeter would help with that.
You got me thinking Crabman, I too have the aluminum siding on our new trailer. I did look at that foam gasket and in the "low" areas of the siding, that would take alot of sealant. Or am I missing something?
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote