Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

More window stuff

So far, I've removed and re-caulked with butyl tape three windows. I think that there are two reasons that Jayco windows leak after awhile:

1) Jayco uses foam tape, not butyl caulk, to install the windows.

2) My windows are Hehr. On the Hehr site, I read a document that says the hole that their windows are installed in should be 3/8 inch larger in both dimensions than the inside frame of the window. And, in the windows I re-caulked, this is about how large the hole is. But, when Jayco installed the windows, the windows were not centered. That means that for sure at the top and maybe on the sides the 1/2" flange that is the sealing surface only has about 1/8" of sealing area --- and maybe less on the side, if the window is not centered side to side. Sealing out water with 1/8" or less of sealing area with an inadequate caulking material will eventually make a leak. I was truly amazed to find that one of the windows I removed today had only 1/16" of the flange touching the side of the trailer - at top, around the curve. Wow.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #2

If I started pulling out the windows on our new Jayco my wife would kill me. I'm sure your giving us owners some concern. Last thing I want is a water leak. Prior to buying your trailer were you aware of this problem?

Our trailer doesn't have a front window , or for that matter a second door. I thought that after the warranty is over I might install both. I know manufactures moved away from putting front windows in because they were so prone to leak. We have a large rear window so it really isn't an issue.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

I wasn't fully aware of the window problem before I bought our trailer; what I knew about RV windows was learned on forums such as this, and I'm certainly no expert on the subject. I'm sure that Jayco does a better job than most in assembling their trailers, which I why I bought a Jayco. I believe that many use the same 'dry fit' method to set windows that Jayco uses. But I was surprised by what I saw when I first removed a window, especially since a foam sandwich sort of wall is highly susceptible to water damage.

You could consider putting a bead of caulk over the top and down the sides of your windows. A good caulk would be Geocel Proflex; it comes in white and clear.

By the way, my windows (at least most of them) are Kinro, not Hehr, as I wrongly stated above.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Team

1/16 to 1/8 is not much to rely on. Are the holes cut out too big in addition to the window not being centered?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #5

I don't know that the holes are cut too big. Surely you would have to cut them somewhat larger than the window interior frame. I mentioned that in a Hehr install PDF, I read of cutting the hole 3/8" larger than the window, and that is about what the holes in my Jayco have been. I think that the problem is when the window is installed with gravity deciding where to put the window within the hole. The window goes to the bottom, and if the hole is 3/8" larger than the window, the top 1/2" flange just has 1/8" to seal against. And less on the curve of the top sides, if the window is not centered side to side.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

I'd think a window installed and centered in it's opening will settle to the bottom of it's opening due to vibration. Plopping a bead of butyl in will kind of "glue" it in place. IMO
Cheers,
T_
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote