Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
Towing a New SKYLARK Trailer witha Jeep Grand Cherokee

If you have a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the full featured Four Wheel Drive system and you tow a new Skylark trailer, you may find that the nose of the trailer sits extremely high and the rear skids will only be a couple of inches off the ground. I bought the Reese hitch # 66155 with the anti sway bars that set on a shelf. All of this was recommended by Jayco.
After buying a new, longer hitch component to help bring the trailer coupler down to more level towing, I will still have to have a portion of the hitch extension cut off to keep from it dragging the ground in a mild dip. I ended up at a place called Critical RV Repair in Lancaster, CA. To keep from overloading the trailer frame and pushing the back of the Jeep even higher with the hitch I have, they are goine to have to install lifts to raise the trailer about 3 inches and lower the trailer tongue about 2 inches. I'm up to $1500 in modifications and haven't even gotten to use the trailer yet. This is just a note to anyone considering a Skylark trailer. The trailer is great but beware of what your going to tow it with.
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of this problem, especially with the Grand Cherokee. Is it possible for you to post a pic of your TV/TT combination hitched up, with a couple of close-up pics of your hitch?

All the Jayco Skylarks have a GVWR of 3,500lbs, and I'm surprised that Jayco would recommend the Reese #66155 for the Skylark because it's a 1,200lb rated trunnion style spring bar WDH, tremendous overkill IMO. Also, I would think the 1,200lb rating would exceed the Skylark's frame specifications (I could be mistaken). This model of Reese WDH is more commonly used with the heavier Jay Flights and Eagles.

With a GVWR of 3,500lbs, and a manufacture recommend 10% to 15% loaded tongue weight, even at the GVWR (worst case) this equals a 350lb to 525lb tongue weight range. With this loaded tongue weight range a 600lb rated WDH would be ideal. Even a 800lb rated WDH would be more than enough.

It is very possible that the 1,200lb rated WDH isn't allowing you to get a proper weight distribution adjustment and creating an issue with the rear of the Grand Cherokee.

Just thinking out load here....., but you also have my interest peaked on this subject.

Bob

on edit: Please refer to this thread; http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...=skylark+reese

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Also if the nose is sitting very high as you describe it could lead to sway issues. Trailer should be level or slightly nose down, not nose high.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Here are several photos of the trailer behind my Jeep GC. Again, I can only say nice things about the trailer and the Jeep GC has been great, but the combination of the two are just not compatible without some pretty expensive modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020620.jpg   P1020611.jpg   P1020616.jpg   P1020622.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

Towing a Skylark Trailer with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have to amend my comments about the trailer hitch I have on my Jeep GC. It is not a 66155 hitch, its a 66151. I don't know why I put the 55 in there. The 66151 is the trailer hitch recommended to me by the Jayco company and its very easy to hook up. Regardless, the trailer still is not riding correctly.

I'm supposed to pick up my rig next week and will post some photos of the unit that will be raised 3 inches at the axel and the coupler will be lower by 2 inches. Its just the cost of the modification that is irritating.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020613.jpg   P1020617.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow, no doubt about it, nose is too high. If I understand your first post correctly the hitch shank drags the ground when going over a dip, as well as the skids on the back of the trailer? The hitch seems to be up too high to drag the ground as it is in the picture, or have you cut it off already as you suggested doing.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

The current hitch on my Jeep does not drag on the ground, but the Reese tech told me to get a replacement stinger that has a 12 inch drop and replace the one currently on my Jeep GC. When I got it in the mail and tried it in the receiver, it was just about 5 inches off the ground. Thats the reason that the RV place that is installing the lift kit for the trailer is going to use the stinger I got in the mail but cut off about 4 inches after they make sure the ball hitch assembly is in the right place.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Site Team

I see. No fun when you fix one problem ant it creates another!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jeep View Post
snip..... When I got it in the mail and tried it in the receiver, it was just about 5 inches off the ground. Thats the reason that the RV place that is installing the lift kit for the trailer ......snip
2008jeep,

Thanks for posting the pics (very helpful), and appreciate the clarification on the Reese hitch model number.

I'm still amazed of what you are having to go through in-order to set-up the WDH with your specific TV/TT combination.

Just a couple of questions/comments:

A) When you tried the 12" drop stinger you mentioned it gave you only 5"
ground clearance, was the ball mount attached and was the TT hitched/leveled?

B) If answer to (A) was yes, was there the ability to cut of some of the
stinger (below the ball mount) and gain ground clearance?

C) If you have the Quadra-Lift® Air Suspension system, did you have the
system activated, or turned off when you were adjusting the WDH? I
believe some manufactures recommend having it turned off, but either
way this may be a moot point with your issue.

What's interesting is Jayco recommends this particular Reese model WDH on the Skylark models (which seems appropriate)..., and under proper WDH adjustment the TT should tow level. Now, with the TT level, the TT ball coupler will be at specific height from the ground that will in turn dictate the setup height of the standard Reese ball mount. The ground clearance below the ball mount (assuming the stinger end is flush, or cut flush) will be the same irregardless of the TV being used.... or am I overlooking something here???

I guess my point is I don't think this is just a Grand Cherokee issue, and wonder why it hasn't been brought up before? The fact that Jayco made the WDH recommendation, I wonder if they know what the expected ground clearance would be under the ball mount?

Still noodling over this one .

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #10

2008jeep!
Sorry to hear about your hitch set up. I'm shocked that Jayco even recommended the weight distribution hitch. I have a 2011 Skylark that I pull with a Honda Pilot. When I was looking for my hitch set up, the reco was to use a 2" drop ball and a sway bar. When I purchased my trailer the wasn't a weight distribution hitch available for the V-front. It would be easier and much less expensive to switch to a sway bar system versus installing lifts and changing the tongue. I have had no trouble hauling the Skylark with this set up. It seems that your Jeep would even perform better than my Pilot.

2010 Honda Pilot
2011 Skylark
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Towing A SKYLARK Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

To answer several questions that came up; I received the new stinger portion of the Reese hitch and put it into the Jeep GC receiver without the hitch (ball and weight distribution assembly) attached. It was so long that if I went across a dip e.g., going into some gas stations or some road drainage dips, it looks like the stinger would drag. The place that is doing the work to raise the trailer, will be cutting off the lower part of the stinger after they see what is not needed. When I tried the part, the Jeep's engine was running and it sits quite high. The Jeep has the Air Suspension System and the dial in the cabin was set to auto. When I hook up the trailer to the Jeep, the back end settles quite a bit until I start the engine then the body raised up to make the trailer set too high in the front. As I mentioned before, if I run in the sport driving mode, the Jeep sets a bit lower, but I don't have the traction control mode anymore. That is really worth having. Next Wednesday I should be getting the two back and I will take some photos so you can see how it looks. I've seen something similar on other trailers where the trailer sits too low and then raised to make it compatible with the towing vehicle. Looks like this is going to have to be my solution as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

2008jeep,

Thanks for the follow-up, and look forward to your feedback on the results of raising your Skylark.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

Seeing how your tt is unlevel front to back triggered a thought you should consider if running your fridge while parked and hooked up.

Check out this info from a previous thread regarding issues you might have to deal with if running your fridge while not front/back level. post #20-23

Hope the level thing gets worked out for you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #14

Towing A New Skylark Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good Morning All:
I was contacted by the Jayco Co. and they told me that they try the trailer and towing vehicle set ups for several different kinds of vehicles, but they don't try them all. I can fully understand that and I did tell them to be aware of the height problem with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Air Suspension System as it keep the vehicle very high. They indicated that they would make sure their dealers were aware of this issue. When I bought my trailer from the Richardson RV dealer in Riverside CA, they didn't seem to think the nose high trailer was any problem, but then again, they want to sell first and fix if the problem keeps you from getting out of the dealership lot. I'm being facetious here, but I wish they would have had some concern over the issue.
I checked on the trailer and it has been raised 3 inches and now the RV company is matching the Jeep's hitch and anti sway system to the trailer to make sure its set up correctly. Pictures to follow later.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jeep View Post
snip......When I bought my trailer from the Richardson RV dealer in Riverside CA, they didn't seem to think the nose high trailer was any problem, ......snip
Talk about a sway event looking for a place to happen

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #16

Towing A New Skylark Trailer With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good Morning Big Sky;
Just a bit of information. The weight distribution system I purchased from the Reese Hitch Co. does not have the chains attached to the lift bars. The bars are secured on a tray using a lifting tool to get the bars up to the tray. The tray itself is attached to the trailer frame right next to the body of the V-Nose and has brake lining attached and as the trailer moves left or right, the brake material rubs on the bars, much like the old drum brake system where the metal drum is rubbed against the brake material. Anyway, I did try my Jeep GC in the lowered Sport Driving setting and it helped a bit, but you do not have any traction control operation in that setting. I came across a bridge where there was a rather strong side wind and even with the anti sway system the trailer and the Jeep began a sharp weaving that I got under control by slowing down. With the traction Control system working, I've never even noticed any swaying at any time.
The Jeep GC instructions give almost double the hitch tongue weight of 720 Lbs whe one uses the weight distribution system. I'm still learning but am getting better at the set up. I should get my trailer and Jeep back today and will see how the set up works.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #17

Towing A Skylark With A Jeep Grand Cherokee

To all of you that had comments about the towing problem I had, I appreciate your inputs. I got my trailer and Jeep back on Friday PM and I've attached a few photos of the set up as it is now. The trailer was raised almost 4 inches and the hitch ball was relocated an additional 1.5 inches lower on the new hitch adapter I purchased. The excess was cut off and the Critical Care RV shop in Lancaster, CA only charged me for labor because they found an easy way to lift the trailer. I feel a lot more confident in the towing set up now than I did before.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020666.jpg   P1020667.jpg   P1020668.jpg   P1020669.jpg   P1020671.jpg  

Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Looks level now!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #19

It looks good now. It will handle a lot better and you shouldn't be wearing out tires with it sitting level.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #20

Man this all sounds like overkill to me. I have a Skylark and I tow it with a Ford Flex Hybrid. I don't not have a WDH or even sway bars. I have towed it over 10k miles with no problems whatsoever.

I don't drive over 60mph and it tows better than a little CASITA that I used to have
DustyMI is offline   Reply With Quote