Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tire/Rim Upgrade Complete.

Well, one more task to cross off my to-do list on the TT

I was still running the original Maxxis tires that came with my 2005 Eagle, but I noticed last fall that one tire was starting to show signs of sidewall cracking, so it was time to replace them.

My TT came with Maxxis ST225/75R15, "C" Load Range, tires that were "just enough" for my loaded TT weight, excluding my 1,250lb loaded tongue weight, so I was always a little nervous running with a tire that was spec'd so close to my TT weight (all RV manufactures do it).

I know I may incur a little flak on this, but in lieu of a new set of Maxxis I went with the newer Carlisle "RH" Radial ST225/75R15, "E" Load Range: http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscrib...&id=1308762257 & http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html

With the "E" Load Range I will have plenty of "weight" cushion, and I'm hoping that this alone will eliminate any potential tire issues that some folks have reported with some Carlisle trailer tires. I also confirmed the date code on the new tires..., manufactured two months ago. Also, based on positive feedback from a couple of friends that have been running the Carlisle RH "E" Load Range tire also provided me with some confidence in the tire as well.

The Maxxis "D" tires aren't available, and the "E"'s start to get a little pricey (wasn't a factor for not going with them), but they can be difficult to get if I should need a replacement while traveling.

Anyway, since I went with the "E" Load Range tires my existing OEM steel rims fell short of the 80 PSI requirement for the new tires. Looked into a number of different aluminum rims that met the tire specifications, and decided to go with the MB-72, 15X6 6-139.7 0MMS, steel stem.., aluminum rim sold by Discount Tire: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/whe...il.do?pc=69244

If I was asked to make a trailer tire recommendation, I would still respond with "Maxxis"..., so I'll wait until I get some history with my Carlisle's before I offer them to anyones short list.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Team

They look good and also very capable, Bob. What`s next on your to-do list?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lee,

Plan to install (hardwire) my EMS in-line surge protector while I'm at the CG, leaving tomorrow morning

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Both rims and tires have a nice look to them. May they last you a good many years!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

Those tires and wheels do look good. I wouldn't run those tires at max pressure especially in the hot summer when the tires get hot they could reach 100lbs or more. But that's just me.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #6

They look really nice, Bob. Here's hoping you have great luck with the Carlisle's.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tire inflation.., I guess there are a number of different schools of thought on the subject.

I've always inflated my trailer 'ST' tires to maximum specified PSI as stated on the sidewall, but I do under extreme conditions (heat, altitude changes, etc.) check the psi a little more frequently watching for any irregularities. I have also found that maintaining the maximum psi with a trailer 'ST' tire it will minimize sidewall flex in turns.

In the case of the Carlisle 'ST' tires, they state that they do not endorse the reduction of air pressure. "Carlisle Tire & Wheel only recommends and only warrants tires maintained @ the max air pressure while in service." They went on to state that "Maximum load range is attained when the tire is at it's maximum air pressure. There is no advantage to taking air out of the tire. With maximum pressure, the tire will preform and wear better, and you will get better gas mileage. Reduce the psi, and you compromise the functionality of the tire. This is the position we take on this."

Years ago on a prior TT I did consider reducing the psi in my trailer tires because my loaded weight was below the tire's load range, but most of my findings told me that it wasn't required and that it may impact the integrity of the tire......, so I have left well enough alone since then.

I also found that unless there is a stamp on the tire that says otherwise, trailer 'ST' tires are rated for 65mph maximum. I'm good here because my TV's sweet spot when towing my TT is 62 mph

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilley View Post
Those tires and wheels do look good. I wouldn't run those tires at max pressure especially in the hot summer when the tires get hot they could reach 100lbs or more. But that's just me.
It is called cold inflation pressure for a reason.. manufactures take into account heat pressure expansion when coming up with an inflation number for the tire.. ONLY WORRY ABOUT THE TIRE PRESSURE WHEN COLD!!
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Tire inflation.., I guess there are a number of different schools of thought on the subject.

I've always inflated my trailer 'ST' tires to maximum specified PSI as stated on the sidewall, but I do under extreme conditions (heat, altitude changes, etc.) check the psi a little more frequently watching for any irregularities. I have also found that maintaining the maximum psi with a trailer 'ST' tire it will minimize sidewall flex in turns.

In the case of the Carlisle 'ST' tires, they state that they do not endorse the reduction of air pressure. "Carlisle Tire & Wheel only recommends and only warrants tires maintained @ the max air pressure while in service." They went on to state that "Maximum load range is attained when the tire is at it's maximum air pressure. There is no advantage to taking air out of the tire. With maximum pressure, the tire will preform and wear better, and you will get better gas mileage. Reduce the psi, and you compromise the functionality of the tire. This is the position we take on this."

Years ago on a prior TT I did consider reducing the psi in my trailer tires because my loaded weight was below the tire's load range, but most of my findings told me that it wasn't required and that it may impact the integrity of the tire......, so I have left well enough alone since then.

I also found that unless there is a stamp on the tire that says otherwise, trailer 'ST' tires are rated for 65mph maximum. I'm good here because my TV's sweet spot when towing my TT is 62 mph

Bob
I guess you should run what ever you are comfortable with. But 80 pounds is pretty hard and will run rough. You shouldnt be close to max weight so you dont need to run at max pressure. My truck has E rated tires but if you look at the sticker inside the door it says to inflate tires at 65 pounds loaded. Anyway the tires look good and they should serve you well and I didnt mean to open a can of worms.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.....and I didn't mean to open a can of worms.
rwilley,

No problem on this end, and I view all replies/experiences as a contribution to the discussion. Your correct that my loaded TT weight is below the "E" tire weight capacity, and even a "D" load range tire would have given me a "little" weight buffer as well.

As you mentioned, I also adjust my TV's LT tire pressure below the tire's 80psi maximum, especially when unloaded and not towing my TT.

The one thing that I found different with TV and TT manufacturer's posted tire psi stickers, is that on TT's it seems to always reference the OEM tire's maximum psi based on the load range supplied with the TT. I wonder if trailers/tires are looked at differently than a TV? Might also have something to do withe fact that RV manufactures tend to size the load range of the tire supplied with that of the TT's potential loaded weight

But your right, running at maximum psi will give my TT a stiffer ride.

I agree, the wheels/tires look good in the photo, I just hope that I can say the same in three years

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
rwilley,

No problem on this end, and I view all replies/experiences as a contribution to the discussion. Your correct that my loaded TT weight is below the "E" tire weight capacity, and even a "D" load range tire would have given me a "little" weight buffer as well.

As you mentioned, I also adjust my TV's LT tire pressure below the tire's 80psi maximum, especially when unloaded and not towing my TT.

The one thing that I found different with TV and TT manufacturer's posted tire psi stickers, is that on TT's it seems to always reference the OEM tire's maximum psi based on the load range supplied with the TT. I wonder if trailers/tires are looked at differently than a TV? Might also have something to do withe fact that RV manufactures tend to size the load range of the tire supplied with that of the TT's potential loaded weight

But your right, running at maximum psi will give my TT a stiffer ride.

I agree, the wheels/tires look good in the photo, I just hope that I can say the same in three years

Bob
My 5er came with D rated tires which is just enough if I am at max weight. I probably wont be maxed out but maybe close so I'm going to an LT load range E tire. My wheels are rated a 3500 pounds so they should be fine. I'm just wondering why they put tires on tt that just barely will carry the weight and are only rated at 65mph? When there is a blow-out and the tread rips the side off the tt then it will cost more than tires
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #12

I'm just wondering why they put tires on tt that just barely will carry the weight and are only rated at 65mph?

Possibly because when the trailer is hitched to the tv, some of the weight is offloaded. They use this as their buffer. As far as the speed goes I'm not too sure. Could it be that there are legal speed limitations and any excess would not make them liable.
It would be interesting to know what the rest of the drivers on the road would think if they knew that a lot of the RVs coming at them were just barely within the margins of safety. I know sometimes I see very large 5ers going down the road pulled by what looks like a undersized tv.

Bob, the wheels and tires look great. Didn't this company recently start making their tires in the states again? I agree with your logic of having a larger buffer. Sometimes it's too easy to get pigeon holed into thinking only one product is good enough.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......I probably wont be maxed out but maybe close so I'm going to an LT load range E tire ........snip..... When there is a blow-out and the tread rips the side off the tt then it will cost more than tires
Rwilley,

I wish I could go to an "LT" tire, but I don't have the room in my wheel-wells. When my TT is fully loaded (no fluids) for a long trip I have 2 3/4" clearance above the top of my tires, and Dexter Axle recommends 3" to accommodate the movement of the suspension.

Speaking of blowout, I had one back in 1975 with my first single axle Nomad TT. The blown tire took out the top portion of the wheel well and went clear into the inside of the TT (cabinet below the kitchen sink), what a mess.

Murphie,

Your dead-on that the RV manufactures exclude the tongue weight when sizing the OEM tires. If the tongue weight was include IMO just about every OEM "ST" tire going down the highway would be undersized! It's all about cost.

On the subject of the 65mph rating on "ST" tires, I found this as an interesting read: http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf What I found interesting is the statement about exceeding the manufacturer's maximum cold psi of the tire by 10psi at speeds 66mph to 75mph.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I'm just wondering why they put tires on tt that just barely will carry the weight and are only rated at 65mph?....
It all comes down to money.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I'm just wondering why they put tires on tt that just barely will carry the weight and are only rated at 65mph?

Possibly because when the trailer is hitched to the tv, some of the weight is offloaded. They use this as their buffer. As far as the speed goes I'm not too sure. Could it be that there are legal speed limitations and any excess would not make them liable.
It would be interesting to know what the rest of the drivers on the road would think if they knew that a lot of the RVs coming at them were just barely within the margins of safety. I know sometimes I see very large 5ers going down the road pulled by what looks like a undersized tv.
tt GVWR- 14,500 #

tt Gross axle rating 6,000 # ( I have 2 of these )

tt load range D tires rated at 3,000 # ( I got 4 of these )

tt recommended hitch weight 2,500 # ( Only 1 of these. I could over load this cause the truck can handle it but I would rather have a tire blow out than brake a hitch.)

There is no room for error.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
It all comes down to money.
Load range E tires cost about $10 more. I would rather have good tires than a 40 inch tv or a remote that operates the electric jacks, slide-outs, awning, porch light etc.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......There is no room for error.
rwilley,

Wow, those are tight numbers. You got me thinking about my brother in-laws new (two-weeks) Jayco Eagle 351MKTS...., so I walked over to his campsite to see what his tires were (yep, we are camping).

FW GVWR ............... 15,250lbs

FW "Dry" Pin Weight .. 2,225lbs

FW Axle Rating ........ Unknown (8-bolt pattern)

FW OEM Tires ........... ST235/80R16 LRE = 3,420lbs each (13,680lbs total)

I do know my brother in-law intends on hitting the CAT scale to confirm his loaded FW weight, then re-visit the OEM tire capacity.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

You all make valid points here. I agree with Rwilley, rather spend the extra money on a quality product than worry about it. Ironically, by twisted logic, they would have you spend an extra 300 dollars on buying a gadget that monitors those tires that barely pass spec.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #19

Hi Rustic Eagle,
I am about to purchase the same set up and was curious how the past two years have fared for you.

Thanks!
neotexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Well, one more task to cross off my to-do list on the TT

I was still running the original Maxxis tires that came with my 2005 Eagle, but I noticed last fall that one tire was starting to show signs of sidewall cracking, so it was time to replace them.

My TT came with Maxxis ST225/75R15, "C" Load Range, tires that were "just enough" for my loaded TT weight, excluding my 1,250lb loaded tongue weight, so I was always a little nervous running with a tire that was spec'd so close to my TT weight (all RV manufactures do it).

I know I may incur a little flak on this, but in lieu of a new set of Maxxis I went with the newer Carlisle "RH" Radial ST225/75R15, "E" Load Range: http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscrib...&id=1308762257 & http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html

With the "E" Load Range I will have plenty of "weight" cushion, and I'm hoping that this alone will eliminate any potential tire issues that some folks have reported with some Carlisle trailer tires. I also confirmed the date code on the new tires..., manufactured two months ago. Also, based on positive feedback from a couple of friends that have been running the Carlisle RH "E" Load Range tire also provided me with some confidence in the tire as well.

The Maxxis "D" tires aren't available, and the "E"'s start to get a little pricey (wasn't a factor for not going with them), but they can be difficult to get if I should need a replacement while traveling.

Anyway, since I went with the "E" Load Range tires my existing OEM steel rims fell short of the 80 PSI requirement for the new tires. Looked into a number of different aluminum rims that met the tire specifications, and decided to go with the MB-72, 15X6 6-139.7 0MMS, steel stem.., aluminum rim sold by Discount Tire: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/whe...il.do?pc=69244

If I was asked to make a trailer tire recommendation, I would still respond with "Maxxis"..., so I'll wait until I get some history with my Carlisle's before I offer them to anyones short list.

Bob
Let's try this again, sorry this is my first post. I am interested to know how the rims and tire setup worked for you over the last two years. I am looking at the same exact set up from Discount Tire. Appreciate any input you have.

Thanks,
Ken
neotexas is offline   Reply With Quote