Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

New 2010 Self-adjusting brake problems

Is anyone else having major squeeling problems eminating from the brakes of their tt? We have had it back to the dealer, and Jayco feels the squeel is a result of tweeking that needs to be done to the new fangled brake they started to install on the 2010's. I guess Dexter (brake company) and Jayco are trying to find a fix and we may be their guinea pigs. Apparently we can still use the tt while they try to figure out a fix as it isn't affecting the brake or compromising them.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

Update: Just heard back from our dealer. They spoke with "Dexter" who said they were having problems with the magnets and have authorized replacement of all four (they will be replacing the entire four brake assembly). Only hassle now is having to make the 8 hour $140 (gas) round trip to get it done *pout*. But we will make the best of it and spend some extra time camping down in that area
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #3

We have a 2010 Jayflight G2, is this something we should be concerned about?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #4

We only knew ours was one with probs because of the constant squeeling as it moved down the road fast or slow. I didn't ask if the brakes ultimately would have failed had we not got the replacement.

We actually will be traveling down next week to get our brake assembly replaced and have warranty issues taken care of.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Interesting thread. We are getting some scraping sounds from our 2010 Jay Flight 22FB axles. I don't know if I'd classify it as a squeal. I am guessing it is either brakes or bearings, and it is coming from both sides. The trailer has only been used a couple of times camping. I hear it at low speed. I am taking it in next week to have it looked at. Will post up results.

Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #6

Maybe they'll upgrade your brakes disk.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

We have a 2010 19bh , The first time out I heard the brakes or wheels squeaking , also the 2nd time heading to the campground , but on the return it seemed to have stopped . To try to stop the squeak , I used only the trailer brake to slow down few times to get them hot and seat them . I dont know if the brakes had not had a long enough break in period , up until then we had towed it only around 100 miles we are heading out this weekend and i hope its gone , if I still hear it I guess its off to the dealer to see what they find , Kipper
Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

We actually have the new brake assemblies installed (since February). Only took the tt out once since, but it seems to have done the trick
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #9

I have a new Jayco 23B with the same brake issues you describe. Did you have to jump thru hoops to get the brakes replaced under warranty?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #10

No, no hoops for us, dealer took care of everything but there was the hassle of having to drive down for diagnosis and once again to have new brake assemblies installed. The brakes inspection was ok, but, because this was a new issue with the new 2010's, the tech wound up calling Jayco several times doing the "hit and miss" routine trying to diagnose the prob. Jayco knew that some Ford trucks had something to do with squeel because of the new integrated brake, so the tech disconnected the brake and the squeel was still there. They then greased up the brakes like mad.... still a squeel although not as loud. Ultimately, after all else failed, they spoke with Dexter and learned of the magnet issue. Good luck and let us know what your problem turned out to be
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #11

I faxed a copy of this thread to my dealer to see if they will call Jayco to correct my brake issue. Do you know if this is going to cause any issues to continue to tow until it can be serviced?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #12

After having our 19bh out again last weekend , the brakes squealed again , so I guess we are going to take it to the dealer , it seems to stop ok , just very annoying . I have alot of trips planned so I cant think of when Im able to take it. Kipper
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 23B View Post
I faxed a copy of this thread to my dealer to see if they will call Jayco to correct my brake issue. Do you know if this is going to cause any issues to continue to tow until it can be serviced?
If the same problem as ours, they say there is no compromise to the brakes themselves; they won't fail or wear pre-maturely
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
After having our 19bh out again last weekend , the brakes squealed again , so I guess we are going to take it to the dealer , it seems to stop ok , just very annoying . I have alot of trips planned so I cant think of when Im able to take it. Kipper
That was pretty much our problem.. only our with us it was time and gas $$; it was the inconvience of the dealer being a 4 hour drive each way
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Interesting thread. We are getting some scraping sounds from our 2010 Jay Flight 22FB axles. I don't know if I'd classify it as a squeal. I am guessing it is either brakes or bearings, and it is coming from both sides. The trailer has only been used a couple of times camping. I hear it at low speed. I am taking it in next week to have it looked at. Will post up results.

Mike
Well, took ours in (about 1 1/2 hour trip each way), they jacked it up, heard the "scraping" (I wouldn't really call it a squeal, at least yet). Changed a leaking seal on one side, minor brake adjustment on the other side, and had to file down a brake adjuster wheel a bit as it was rubbing on the hub of all things. They took it for a spin w/ their tractor and of course couldn't hear anymore noise and said all is good and I can pick it up. Said all brakes and bearings looked fine. I did take a copy of this thread w/ me and gave to them when I dropped it off. Had a couple of other things looked at while there.

Got home and could faintly still hear a bit of scraping sound at slow speed. I guess I will keep a tuned ear for increasing volume and then drag it back in at another time if it gets worse or doesn't stop. Got a trip in a few weeks planned.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

Old 10-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #16

Well, made another appt. to have this checked again as it is still making noise. Will post up afterwards. Printed the thread again to give the service guys.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #17

AS I had posted previously we have a 2010 23b which we have had brake problems since day one of ownership. Our TT is currently back at the dealer and we hope the problem will be resolved this time. Our brakes were locking up everytime we applied the brakes. WE did find out that one of the brakes was not even working at all when we jacked it up and tried to adjust the brakes before going out last trip out and before we could take it to the dealer because we felt it was just not safe. when we manually turned the tire the tires were very tight and hard to turn and they did seem to make a rubbing scraping noise.
2012 f250 diesel

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #18

My new 32bhds had an axle where both brake magnets were rusted to the point they were not engaging. This was in May I had picked her up 4 weeks earlier and her build date was in Feb. I believe road salt was the culprit. Anyway it was covered under warranty and now when I check the tires all 4 are cool.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #19

Mustang,

Sounds like you may be facing the same problem Healthi and her husband faced--defective brakes from the manufacturer (Dexter). Their dealer spoke with Dexter and afterward replaced the brakes under warranty.

Print a copy of this thread and take it to your dealer or email the thread to your dealer and insist that the dealer contact both Dexter and Jayco about a proper repair or replacement. If the dealer does not make the trailer right you may need to contact Jayco directly and insist on a proper repair or replacement of the brakes. The problem you are experiencing is not normal.

If all else fails, file a complaint with the Federal Highway Transportation Department because your brake problem is definitely a safety hazard.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #20

I have also had braking issues with my Jayco 314 BDS. The same sqeualing that was the brakes hanging up and causing them to overheat. Went through brakes on both sides, finally they beleived they had a short in the harness going to the brakes. Replaced the wiring and just had another problem on the drivers side front tire. They adjusted the brakes, pick up hopefully in next week or so, hope this fixs the problem. I have also started a thread on my camper. Dealership told me that Jayco and Dexter are aware of the braking issues
Closed Thread