Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

2012 Jayco 308 RETS home now

We brought back the 2012 298RES that we got in December and traded her in on the 2012 308 RETS today.

Had some issues with the old one that could not be resolved without the trailer going back to Jayco and there was no guarantee we would get it back in time for the camping season. Didn't want to get into details on the forum. Dealer did right by us and are content with the outcome.

Because of the trade in part, we picked a trailer off the lot. It had the right options so there really wasn't a need to special order.

It has the fireplace, air mattress sofa, table and chairs, glacier package, electric jack and stabilizers, rear ladder, larger frig, larger AC unit, and aluminum wheels. I am most excited about the standard new feature of the wardrobe/linen closet that set it apart from the 298RES.

So, here is the weird thing. The 298RES had the foam core floor. You could see the sandwich of it if you looked in the bathroom. The floor was the problem in trailer that was beyond an easy fix and needed to go back to factory.

The 308 RETS, we see plywood everywhere. Bathroom, under kitchen sink, floor vents under carpet, holes in carpet for rear shower plumbing. Under the plywood is white fluffy insulation. We are not sure what is under that. The plywood is 5/8 thick. This is not thick enough to span 3 feet. Houses use 3/4 and span 16 inches.

So question is, are the floor joists closer than 3 feet or is there more to the flooring than one piece of plywood and insulation?

I will be calling Jayco Monday to see if they can tell me anything, but I figured I would get just a good an answer here with you all.

There were no major issues during check out and are really looking forward to warmer weather for a shakedown. We have high hopes this time around.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer! I can`t speak for the Eagle Superlites but on our Jayflight the brochure which I have here in front of me in regards to the floor says "5/8 tongue and groove plywood main floor decking" and " 2"x3" longitudinal floor joists 16"-18" on center". This makes for a solid floor, with only a few occasional squeaks. You should be able to download a brochure from the Jayco website which should go into greater construction detail. I was also under the impression the Eagle Superlites used the sandwich core floor. Perhaps they changed that this year to plywood. At any rate, good luck with the new unit!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

We had the older brochure that still has the 298RES in it.

Downloading the pdf of the new one, it does say it has the 2 x3 floor joists on 16" centers.

WooHoo, don't have to make the phone call now. Thank you Crabman.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

Congratulations Lady Ann! You got a few extra options that we did not! We pondered the Glachier & Roof Ladder and decided to for go them. Everything else sounds the same as ours. Our dealer informed us yesterday that our 308 will come off production 3/7 and usually takes about 10 days for delivery! I bet you guys are so excited! Best of luck and happy camping!

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

Congratulations Lady Ann! How exciting. You got a few extra options on yours that we did not. We pondered the Glacier Package and Roof Ladder, but decided to for go them. Everything else sounds the same. Stopped at our Dealer yesterday and looks like our 308 should come off production 3/7! He says it takes about 10 days after that for it to arrive at his place. I bet you guys are so excited. Enjoy and happy camping..

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #6

You don't happen to be the same John that commented on the Jayco thread about the refrigerator panels?

Our dealer was able to to order them. We are not sure how much or when they will be here, but they are due to arrive around the same time as the new door header for the egress door. That fabric panel had a small tear in it.

I will let you know final outcome.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Hi Lady Ann.. Yes, I am the same John! We talked about those panels and at this point we may stay with the fridge the way it somes. We can always add them down the road if we choose too. Bummer about the egress door.

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

We were just going to go with the black panels until we took time to sit in for a while the week before our check out.

It just really looked odd sitting in that corner. There are the wood panels on the sitting side, the wood panels on the bathroom wall and the wood above and below. You don't really see the black from the stove/microwave while looking in the corner. The black just really stuck out like a sore thumb, to us. Plus the table and chairs are wood. So looking at it from the chairs or looking at while walking in from outside, BAM! there it is. LOL

If it had been stainless steel, it would not have looked quite as bad. Not that I wanted that headache on vacation. Love the look, but it can be a pain to keep clean at home.

We just felt it would look more cohesive to us if it had the wood panels.

Another thing that doesn't quite work well for us is the placement of the main light switches. Although this cannot be fixed and we will just have to get used to it. It probably won't be so bad when the trailer is outside, but inside the barn, it is pretty dark inside the trailer.

The old trailer - everything was on the wall facing you as soon as you walked it. It was easy to feel for the proper switches since they were also in the middle of all of them.

The new trailer, you have to walk inside and turn to the immediate left wall. Open the panel and then find the switches. They are in the lower left corner. Yet they have the fireplace/hot water switch outside the panel. Right were you would expect to find light switches on the wall. I understand that it made more sense for them to just stick it there on the units that had the fireplace instead of leaving a gap inside the panel box on those that don't. It is just awkward right now. We will get used to it. =)

Hoping it takes less than 10 days after completion for yours to get there. We share the same the weather, so we should both be getting out at the same time.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
We were just going to go with the black panels until we took time to sit in for a while the week before our check out.

The black just really stuck out like a sore thumb, to us. We just felt it would look more cohesive to us if it had the wood panels.

We share the same the weather, so we should both be getting out at the same time.
Lady Ann, a fellow Ohioan, Your fridge sounds like the perfect place to hang the kids' beautiful artwork and 'honey-do' list!! Is it magnetic? I do understand what you're saying b/c when we were shopping, I'd notice the difference right away. Our TT did come with raised panels. Live with it for a few trips & you'll decide then if it even matters to you anymore.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #10

It is magnetic.

We actually put the kids' art work on our real walls at home. They are both older now and don't make anymore art work. But I still have stuff from when they were preschoolers in the kitchen and primary years are in the family and computer rooms.

We are hoping to keep the trailer clutter free. Unlike the house. LOL

We are in the Southwest corner, how about yourselves?

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
We are in the Southwest corner, how about yourselves?
Us too!! Near Oxford.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

You are North and smidge west from us. We are near Caesar's Creek Lake. That is where we plan on going for our first camping trip. Thinking about near Dayton too for the Airport Museum.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:

So, here is the weird thing. The 298RES had the foam core floor. You could see the sandwich of it if you looked in the bathroom. The floor was the problem in trailer that was beyond an easy fix and needed to go back to factory.

The 308 RETS, we see plywood everywhere. Bathroom, under kitchen sink, floor vents under carpet, holes in carpet for rear shower plumbing. Under the plywood is white fluffy insulation. We are not sure what is under that. The plywood is 5/8 thick. This is not thick enough to span 3 feet. Houses use 3/4 and span 16 inches.
Actually, I am glad to hear that the floor is plywood vs. the luan/foam sandwich. I got wind of the sandwich business a few days ago and was disappointed that I had missed that item when evaluating this model. Ours will be here in a few weeks. Ship date is March 5. Got the hitch head put together this weekend. Reservations for first trip Easter weekend. Hope to run up to Colorado in late July to try whitewater rafting.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

There doesn't seem to a forum dedicated to trip reports. Please do post pics of your Easter and Colorado trips?

Hope you have a great time!

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #15

Lady Ann, So how is the new camper treating you?? I am new to camping and have the same camper on order. Actually, it is at my dealer but I can't get away from work until next week to pick it up. I am so excited! I have pretty much the same options as you with the larger air conditioner, the upgraded rims, the freestanding table, but I did pass on the chairs in the living area and went for another sofa with air mattress. With a 9 year old and a 1 year old we wanted each to have their own place to sleep but wanted the open area for the little one to play inside in cases of inclimate weather.
I have read over some of the other forums about what new campers should expect and purchase, and I was curious if you had anything you can suggest that is more "model specific" to the 308RETS.

Thanks a bunch!
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #16

We are taking it out tonight to set it up for camping at a campground close by in case we forget anything.

I'm not sure if we have found anything extra that we had to purchase than what is on the general lists.

The screen for the furnace is wonky. The dealer told us the square one, but it doesn't fit right. We are thinking we should have went with our initial preference of the round one.

We are still experimenting with how to keep the chairs stable while towing. Right now they are bungie corded around the table pedestal, one leg each. There isn't enough room to lay them down since the table itself is bolted to the floor.

I will be checking forum before we leave tonight, so if you have any questions of things you would like me to pay attention to, just post.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
Site Team

Give it a try without cords. We have not had any problems with them moving around on our rig at all. They are sitting on carpet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Give it a try without cords. We have not had any problems with them moving around on our rig at all. They are sitting on carpet.
When we visited the RV show about a month ago, I asked the dealer about the stability/movement of the standalone dinette set. He was emphatic that you didn't need to even bungee cord the chairs to the table... saying they will stay put even when you're moving.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #19

Your chairs will NOT move in transit.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #20

We were at the dealer today looking around and somebody was picking theirs up and we looked at the other one they had on the lot. The big question my wife came up with is the lack of counterspace, we do not have much in ours now but we have and extension that hooks on for additional space. The other thing I notice is there is no outlet around the counter area for a coffepot, other than that it is a beutiful trailer. How are you guys working around the counterspace issue?

Phil
2009 Eagle Super Lite 298RLS
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
Fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote