Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #21

Hay Newleaf, I know exactly how you feel. Hubby and I moved into the Rv (class c) two months ago with practically no experience at all. Moved from a 2600sqft house to the rv with 3 dogs and two cats. IV had a few of those what the h*** am I doing moments but not one of the what the h***have I done moments. I love it! Don't miss the house at all. My advice is READ, READ, READ. Read tons of posts on every forum you can find, especially this one, there are tons of blogs from Fulltimers out there, and ask lots of questions. I have found thee answer to almost all my questions just by searching the forums. If I can't find it then I ask. Take a deep and enjoy the journey.
bailinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #22

We have been fulltime since Oct 2011 and we are loving it.
The first thing I found out is there is no right way to fullltime.
All Fulltimers do it different, do what fits your lifestyle and budget and enjoy the ride!
It truly is an adventure !!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #23

OK- Now you have a year on the road under your belt- What have you to say about the experiences you've had? Just curious to know if you are still committed to the lifestyle? JMHO- DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
A month from now we will take possession of our brand new 2012 Eagle 351 RLTS in Iowa. This is totally new for us and we will have nowhere to go back to... it's full time for us from Day 1.

The combination of excitement and being overwhelmed with all there is to learn, from hookups to backups to plumbing, electricity... OMG.

What can you suggest to help us get through the first weeks of total immersion in our new lifestyle? Is there someone out there who would be willing to mentor us through?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #24

Been Fulltiming since Nov 1 2010

We've been fulltiming since Nov 1 2010.
There are many benefits to full timing that you don't realize until you live it. You always sleep in your own bed (buy a good mattress, RV mattresses are usually not good for long) you have your own bathroom and kitchen and no matter where you go, everything is usually right there with you, unless you left it at the last campground. If you plan to do some traveling, you must realize that it is more expensive than staying at a campground for a month or more plus the wear and tear on your truck and additional fuel adds up. We use Passport America which gives us 50% off the price of camping while traveling but only in selected parks with some length of stay restrictions. Friends have a membership in a club that gives them free stays at affiliated resorts across America for 2 weeks in and one week out. The Escapees is a club for fulltimers that owns parks with all different kinds of memberships. Joining a club such as Good Sams gives you a 10% discount at many parks and a discount at Camping World. Good Sams also has local chapters and state chapters that have group campouts which is an opportunity to camp with several experienced campers that have a wealth of knowledge and experience. We have a friend that has been fulltiming for 21 years and know others that only last a couple years. We just bought a new Jayco and are sitting in the dealers lot for six days while everything is being looked at. We talk to family and they ask if we're upset because it's taking so long. NO we're not, we're home so everything's fine.
You have to adopt a different attitude towards everything. Relax, there's no grass to cut, no house to paint and if your neighbors bother you then just simply move.
Good Luck!
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #25

We are new full-timers too, but with a twist. We had already downsized, and spent a year in Guatemala before coming back and into the 5er. We're in a campground where 90% of the people are either retired or workkampers. We both work, so we fit right in. We have plans to travel a bit with the 5er in the summers, but it's our home base as well. We'll be getting ready to winterize before long. We're totally comfortable in our space. We realized while in Guatemala that we don't need much at all to survive after seeing how people live down there. Our good friends in Antigua have 6 people living in the same square footage as we have in our 5er.

This is not our first "trailer" experience. We've had several over the years, and I grew up camping in one every summer. I have to admit this is the nicest one I've ever had though, and it's not new. Being a full-timer is like living outside the US...just roll with it.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab Short Box 4X4 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 2930 RKS
Copperlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #26

We've been fulltiming since Oct. 2011. Retired from CA-went to Texas-joined Escapees-got their mail forwarding service and address-got Texas drivers licenses, insurance and registration and hit the road. Best time we've ever had. Right now we're sitting backed up to Resurrection Bay in Seward, Ak. We're spending the summer here in Alaska and the Yukon Territories. If any of you have any desire to drive up here don't hesitate to do it.
You can see the sights and our travels at our trip journal-- www.mytripjournal.com/thekruses .
calliedog is offline   Reply With Quote