Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

About to Plunge -- Help Needed Please

A month from now we will take possession of our brand new 2012 Eagle 351 RLTS in Iowa. This is totally new for us and we will have nowhere to go back to... it's full time for us from Day 1.

The combination of excitement and being overwhelmed with all there is to learn, from hookups to backups to plumbing, electricity... OMG.

What can you suggest to help us get through the first weeks of total immersion in our new lifestyle? Is there someone out there who would be willing to mentor us through?

"Life is a grand adventure... or nothing." (Helen Keller)

'11 Ford F250
'12 Eagle 351 RLTS
newleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I`m nowhere`s near a fulltimer but I`m sure we can all help you get through the learning curve, one question at a time! Just ask and we`ll do our best. There are some full timers here on the forum who can help with that aspect. But many technical and basic RVing questions can be answered by the part timers as well. Enjoy your new lifestyle.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

First be a complete sponge on your walk-thru.

If you have a close friend who is an experienced RV person, camp nearby several days and try and get them to camp the first weekend with you and maybe stop by after work a couple times after that.

A lot of the stuff, you just have to learn by OJT. There is no simple 30 day plan; you just have to do it. And remember, RV people in general are cream of the crop. As you travel along, ask them and most will help you.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #4

We are not full timers we are long timers. We live in our trailer about 8-9 months every year. As mentioned, camp with a friend for a few nights, camp close to the dealer so you can call for advice if needed. Sit back and enjoy your new adventure.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
A month from now we will take possession of our brand new 2012 Eagle 351 RLTS in Iowa. Is there someone out there who would be willing to mentor us through?

LOL, just about any member that posts here!!!!!

BTW, do you know about the PDI and have you downloaded it yet?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Find a full-hook-up campground close to your hometown and RV dealership. Make reservations for at least two weeks so that you can test every feature of the FW like running the slides in/out a couple of times, furnace, A/C, check frig temp, etc.. There are always some bugs to work out in any new RV, so being in a familiar area and reasonably close to your RV dealer that sold you the FW would minimize "the what do I do now" cloud that so often can set in.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #7

Be sure to remember to laugh and take it all in stride! Sounds like a great adventure coming up...you'll learn as you go!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Thanks, Everybody!

We don't have any friends with RVs and the dealer is hundreds of miles from the apartment we are about to move out of. That's why I'm saying we have to know what we are doing from Day 1... there will be nowhere to go back to. Thanks for all the words of encouragement... we'll let you know how it goes.

'11 Ford F250
'12 Eagle 351 RLTS
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #9

I'm a new "fulltimer" (dare I even call myself that after a mere eleven days into it?) and I think you're truly going to enjoy it. It is far different from living in an apartment but at least you will have something to show for your payments where as with an apartment it's practically throwing money down a drain. I wish I had more helpful information to give you but being new to this myself I can only offer that you post here and read here as often as possible. I've been doing so and am learning quickly.

My first precautionary measure after setting everything up (and I'd strongly recommend this depending on where you live) was spraying insecticide around my concrete slab. I noticed scorpions, fire ants, and large brown spiders nearby and don't plan on giving them any avenue of entrance.

Good luck in your purchase and adventure!
2000 Ford F-150 XLT '4x4 Off Road' package - 5.4L / 4-speed automatic w/ 3.55 LSD rear end
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB (Home sweet home!)
MikeS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Newleaf, I'm by no means an expert or experienced at it, but I have been FT'ing it since May, when we were foreclosed on, and haven't looked back since. It's just me, my DW and DS and the cat, and we just take it one day at a time. My suggestions: Plenty of beer for the bar-b-que plenty of insect repellent, an extra cooler (for the beer), and alot of patience. Now that we've adjusted to it, we love it. If you have ANY questions, don't be afraid to get on here and give a shout out...this is a great group of people, and they've already helped my get my basket case TT into livable condition. Welcome to the forums!!!

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

Thanks, Mike and GKopecky. It helps to know you are "out there". If you're going to be anywhere near DesMoines around Labor Day let us know. We'd love to meet you.

'11 Ford F250
'12 Eagle 351 RLTS
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKopecky1971 View Post
Newleaf, I'm by no means an expert or experienced at it, but I have been FT'ing it since May, when we were foreclosed on, and haven't looked back since. It's just me, my DW and DS and the cat, and we just take it one day at a time. My suggestions: Plenty of beer for the bar-b-que plenty of insect repellent, an extra cooler (for the beer), and alot of patience. Now that we've adjusted to it, we love it. If you have ANY questions, don't be afraid to get on here and give a shout out...this is a great group of people, and they've already helped my get my basket case TT into livable condition. Welcome to the forums!!!
George, I was wondering how the FTing is going? I may be getting laid off in the near future and am kicking around FTing if this happens. Pretty scared tho.
Any words of advice? :hihi:

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

I would also add that campers are some of the most friendly neighbors and are willing to help our neigbors out when in need. I am firm believer in paying it forward. I can't tell you how many times it's come back around for me so I like keeping the points in my favor. Whether it be pulling someone out of ditch or loaning a tool I am happy to extend the favor or advice.

When in doubt ask and if the guy next to you can't provide the answer or remedy I am sure one of your neighbors can. We've all been there and understand your position. There are no stupid questions when it comes to campers.

Being a new unit your covered for the next two years. Make sure you bring a pen and pad or a video camera to record the PDI things you might need some practice on. While there get most if not all the basics you need to start camping. The starter kits aren't worth the box they come in. Just consider that emergency backup stuff. Don't be affraid to deal with them on the stuff either. Your spending a good dime in the new unit.

The other option is to find a close campground with full services and within close proximity to a few stores that you can purchase everything you need to outfit your unit.

Good luck on your adventures and as mentioned take it in stride and with a sense of humor you'll be a pro in no time.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #14

Welcome, smile, be kind and ask. We bought our first TT ever last year. This forum was the best thing that could have happened.

The first day we used it I think about 15 people helped us in the CG.

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Welcome, smile, be kind and ask. We bought our first TT ever last year. This forum was the best thing that could have happened.

Dave
I agree with you, Dave. Camping neighbors are the friendliest people!! I couldn't get the TT unhitched from the TV. I went over to a picnic table where some folks were sitting and asked for some help. In a blink they were over there and helped me get it off the ball and offered advice on how to keep it lubricated.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post

Dave

You don't even have to go over, just put your hood up while still connected. That's the equivalent of hanging a steak in a pack of hungry dogs.

You might even get a beer out of it too...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
George, I was wondering how the FTing is going? I may be getting laid off in the near future and am kicking around FTing if this happens. Pretty scared tho.
Any words of advice? :hihi:
You can see all post by newleaf and read about their trials and tribulations.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

We havn 't heard from New Leaf or G Kopecky in a long time. I wonder how they are doing?
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #19

Thanks for asking. We have been fulltiming (and volunteering in National Parks) since 8/31. Some things have been surprisingly easy to adjust to (the small space, the shower, cooking in the tiny kitchen) and others surprisingly challenging (repeated toilet floods, a couple of parking lot accidents, difficulty maintaining satellite tv signals). But all in all we are happy to be doing what we are doing and looking forward to the Good Sam Rally in PHX in a couple of weeks. Will we see any of you there?

'11 Ford F250
'12 Eagle 351 RLTS
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
A month from now we will take possession of our brand new 2012 Eagle 351 RLTS in Iowa. This is totally new for us and we will have nowhere to go back to... it's full time for us from Day 1.

The combination of excitement and being overwhelmed with all there is to learn, from hookups to backups to plumbing, electricity... OMG.

What can you suggest to help us get through the first weeks of total immersion in our new lifestyle? Is there someone out there who would be willing to mentor us through?
If you are in the Des Moines area, I could meet with y'all to give some pointers- We are at Adventureland campground for the summer and spend winter in Az.- We workkamp at Adventureland in the summer so we can be near family- JMHO- DD