Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Canadians wanting to buy a site in USA, where to start?

We currently have about 15 years until retirement, but I have started to consider if we want to buy land and build a retirement home or buy a Class A and travel. Hubby prefers the latter, while I prefer to own land.

I'm curious to hear from those who have purchased sites in the campground where you can 'purchase' your site. Do you mind sharing your experiences? We are considering any place in the US that is warm (we are Canadian in case you couldn't tell by my online nickname here ).
CanadianW's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Why not buy land and travel? My wife and I live in Idaho and faced the same dilemma. We have many friends who winter in Quartzsite, Az. so we contacted a realtor there and told her what we were thinking and how much we were willing to spend for land. She found 1/3 acre with 3 full RV hookups at a very reasonable price. We bought it, hauled our 5th wheel down and have 2 spots we rent out, one of them year 'round. We won't fully retire for another 18 mos, but our plan is to spend winters on our land and travel back to Idaho and Wyoming thru the summer months. Have to see the kids and hopefully will satisfy both of us..
Harryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF, Harryw. Do you have any pictures of your site? That sounds interesting...

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

My parents purchased a lot in an RV park in Mcallen TX. They paid about $5000.00 canadian for the lot, and I believe there are some condo type fees to pay each year. They like the activities offered etc... I personally like to keep moving..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

My neighbour just got back from Yuma and decided to buy a place down there. He bought an older well kept 2 bedroom 2 bath place in a community neighbourhood near Albertsons on 32nd at 4th in Yuma. The place is located in a old orange and grapefruit orchard so they have an underground water system that gives them grass which is nice. He paid 42 grand for it and pays approx 1 grand a year in taxes, community fees etc. and has clear title. His buddy bought a place close by in a RV park and paid 17 grand for his place but he does not own the land and pays well over 300 bucks a month in fees. Both these places have community pools.

In the area of Los Amigos where I was I could have bought the lot I was staying on for about 30 grand without any buildings and you own the lot and taxes and fees were 1 grand a year.

I like Yuma, my wife does not, but I could not see me staying there for an extended period.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Welcome to the JOF, Harryw. Do you have any pictures of your site? That sounds interesting...
Sorry, no pictures yet. We are heading down there April 22 to prepare our rig for the hot Az. sun and will take pictures then.
Harryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #7

A bit late in replying, but if anyone has any realtor recommendations please pm me. We would like to purchase clear title on a site, I don't like the idea of monthly fees, and ideally one with more than one full hookup so we can rent one or two sites out like Harryw has... that sounds ideal!

We still have to go visit a bunch of times of course, but we have lots of time, I just want to get an idea of prices for now. And no harm in looking early in case we find a place to buy now and use as a winter vacation destination while we're still working.
CanadianW's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to xtampa
Florida

My Aunt bought a double wide with lot in Largo a few years ago for $30K and pays $1500 a year in condo fees. She owns the lot outright. I might do the same now that I'm 55 and can buy into the senior parks. I've also thought about buying an empty plot of land, paving a driveway and installing septic and hydro/water to park our trailer on when we go stay...problem is neighbors would probably want us to keep lawns manicured etc so need to hire gardener when we arent there.....
Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianW's View Post
A bit late in replying, but if anyone has any realtor recommendations please pm me. We would like to purchase clear title on a site, I don't like the idea of monthly fees, and ideally one with more than one full hookup so we can rent one or two sites out like Harryw has... that sounds ideal!

We still have to go visit a bunch of times of course, but we have lots of time, I just want to get an idea of prices for now. And no harm in looking early in case we find a place to buy now and use as a winter vacation destination while we're still working.
Everybody I know who "own" their lots free and clear still pay monthly maint fees. If your in a RV/mobile home community somebody has to pay for road maintenance, trash etc.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #10

Over the last few years of traveling we have made a lot of friends from our northern neighbors and have wintered throughout the south . Personally I would travel a couple of years first to find out where you want to be and the park you want to be in. If you find a place you like then purchase a permanent place. Every park I have been in their are always places for sale . As Ladywendolyn stated above they really are not that expensive in the Rio grande valley . Seems to be cheaper in the SW. By preparing early as you are you will make sure it happens and 15 years goes fast .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote