Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #1

Checked Out the Furnace - All OK

Some of you know that I am pretty anal about running my generator once a month under load and with stabilizer in the fuel all the time, running my refrigerator and water heater on propane once a month on propane. I want to make sure these items are in good condition when I need them. One thing I just can't make myself do is run the furnace even for a few minutes with the a/c on.

Well this morning was a bit cool and a good time to knock the chill off and check out the furnace. It worked perfectly and I'm nice and warm at the moment. I'm going to have to work on my problem with running the furnace for a few during a/c season. I do have a critter screen on the vent.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

We don't use ours very much anymore... Its just too dang loud... We end using electric oil filled heaters all the time when at camp sites with electric hookup. Much better to use their electric then to burn up my propane hehe.... Heat is heat...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Well this morning was a bit cool and a good time to knock the chill off and check out the furnace. It worked perfectly and I'm nice and warm at the moment. I'm going to have to work on my problem with running the furnace for a few during a/c season. I do have a critter screen on the vent.
ran our's for the very first time in Watkins Glen 2 weeks ago early in the morning and it set the fire detector off. We have a fan so we put the fan facing the fire detector. Next morning, no problem. Must have been dust in the heat registors
hope we didn't wake the neighbours :O
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

We rarely use the furnace. Electric heaters or our Kozy World are much quieter and effective.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
We don't use ours very much anymore... Its just too dang loud... We end using electric oil filled heaters all the time when at camp sites with electric hookup. Much better to use their electric then to burn up my propane hehe.... Heat is heat...
X2
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #6

We use 2 small electric heaters (one in the bedroom and one in the main living area) and the electric fireplace for most of our heat needs.
When it starts getting close to freezing we make sure the propane furnace runs some so the storage area and holding tanks gets some heat and stay above freezing.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #7

I agree with others and use electric for everything when I'm at a site and the electricity is paid for, but I'm on my home base site right now. Last winter while I was sitting here bored to death I put some numbers together to see which was cheaper for me, electricity or propane for heat. I do have an external 150 gallon propane tank I hook up when I'm here for the winter so I'm not filling the small tanks every week.

My numbers, based on my electricity rates here (actual effective rate/kwh, not the base rate to which they add all sorts of things) showed that propane was cheaper. Not by enough to get excited about, but just slightly cheaper than electricity. So when I'm here and hooked up to the large propane tank I run everything on propane. If my memory is right, I would save $5.00/month on propane vs electricity so it really is a push.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Somewhere around 10 cents a KW should be the break even point between the two. Where we spend the winter power is cheap so we use electric heaters. At the last park we used to spend the winter in propane was much cheaper.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

X2 on the Kozy World- We had ours moved from the Monty to the Eagle we have now- JMHO- DD
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

My effective cost/kwh here is $0.15. They advertise $0.75, but as I said above, by the time the add in all of the extras it is up to $0.15. This is definitely above the $0.10 mentioned above as the break even point between propane and electricity so I would agree. My propane cost is a little cheaper than when filling up the 30 lb bottles since I have a 150 gallon external tank. That puts my break even point a bit higher/kwh since my propane cost is lower. But as I said, it isn't enough difference for me to worry about. I do have a propane left over from last year that I will be burning soon enough.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #11

I thought with most of the units a person had to run the propane to keep the basement and holding tanks from freezing? I don't have to worry about this on my 3 season camper.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
ran our's for the very first time in Watkins Glen 2 weeks ago early in the morning and it set the fire detector off
Ours did that also, from what I've read on this forum and over on IRV2, I think they all do that the first time they are operated. Funny story was though that my 7 year old son and daughter were boondocking with us in the WM parking lot on the way home from picking the camper up at dealership. Then the fire alarm went off my son jumped out of bed and bolted out he door and looked back at us on the second step and said, "are you guys coming?" LOL
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote