Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Driving from Florida to NY on April 1st

Hello Folks,
As the title says, we are (Snow Birds) leaving Florida and driving home to NY on April 1st. Wondering if anyone has been on the road north and can describe conditions. Our route starts in Ocala with State Route 301 north (around Jacksonville) to I95 into SC, onto I26 until I77 north. Then I81 all the way to Binghamton, NY. Then I88 to Albany and I87 to Plattsburgh.

We are self-contained in a Class C only needing gas stops and rest stops along the way. Thanks for any feedback.
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Michigan is not on your route by any means, but we are on lockdown. Stay home unless you have a VALID reason to be out or you're an essential worker. I have heard around where I live the cops are pulling people.over, questioning and handing out tickets, if needed. A couple of employees that work for/with my cousin, at an essential employer, were pulled over on their way in and questioned. They were wearing logo work wear and had their company ID on them and were thanked for their services, and quickly sent on their way.
With all that, if you are travelling thru a state that's on lockdown, it may depend on how that particular state is handling things, don't be surprised if you get pulled over.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Last week I made the trip from North Fort Meyers to Annapolis, it was pretty straight forward. We had water in the tank so we didn't need the facilities along the road, we did pull into rest areas but used our toilet. Gas was easy to get. We made our own meals.
That was last week, today Maryland and Virginia issued Stay at Home Orders. North Carolina, Pennsylvania and New York have similar restrictions.
I would suggest that you try making one night reservations where you are thinking you will need some sleep. This way you can get a feel for local conditions which have gotten very fluid.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #4

Other than facilities and food venues at rest areas being closed you should have no problems. Its New Yorkers going other places that is an issue. Heading up to the Plattsbugh area you should be fine.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

We too will be headed North on April 1st. Leaving from Frostproof and going to Syracuse area. This is our first time from Florida. How long are you planning on driving per day? Normally we keep our daily drives to under 5 hrs. Thinking this trip of driving longer per day. Any thoughts?

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA385 View Post
We too will be headed North on April 1st. Leaving from Frostproof and going to Syracuse area. This is our first time from Florida. How long are you planning on driving per day? Normally we keep our daily drives to under 5 hrs. Thinking this trip of driving longer per day. Any thoughts?
If you are willing to go longer say 7 hours you will only need two overnight stops. It may be a bit tricky finding a campground if you need it but I think private ones are open.

The good thing about going N is that the sun is not in your face!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 AM   #7

We left the Crystal River, FL area on Friday 3/27 headed back home up north to RI via 95. No issues travelling, very little traffic, and cheap gas .
Did our part by staying in the rig, eating all our meals in there, and not making contact with anyone. I will say that the NJ/NY area was eerily devoid of the usual traffic along the turnpike and cross Bronx expressway by the time we went through there on Sunday.
Thinking about heading back down after our current 14 day quarantine.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Try stopping overnight at l95 exit 63. New Green Acres. Quick overbite private CG. Easy on/off. Bring gloves for protection when refueling. Cheap fuel everywhere.

Near Walterboro, SC. 5-6 hours from Ocala. Made the trip many times.

Edit: BTW if I had any other options than heading north, north would be last on the list
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 AM   #9

Can't understand why anyone would want to be going to the epicenter of this Coronavirus now! I don't care if it is your home, if you can extend your stay, stay put for another two months at least if you can!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Can't understand why anyone would want to be going to the epicenter of this Coronavirus now! I don't care if it is your home, if you can extend your stay, stay put for another two months at least if you can!
We are not headed to the epicenter. NYC is the epicenter. We live north of Syracuse, about 300 miles from NYC. We will self quarantine when we get back for at least 2 weeks, as we have been for 2 weeks here.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #11

Thanks for the info everyone. We don't really have a choice. Wife is a per-diem ER RN and solely needed back at the hospital. Believe me, she would rather stay in FL longer. We are leaving one low-case area (Marion County) for another low-case area (Clinton County) and are responsible adults (have gloves, wipes, food, water, etc.). Closest we will be to NYC is probably 100 miles.

We do have two spots already reserved - one in Georgia (190 miles) and the other in SC (240 miles). Plan to do a third around Mt Airy area, which is about the half-way point, and then sprint home for two days.
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #12

All of you who travel back north to go home, Please don’t come back till this Virus thing is over with. You will only be taking a chance of bringing more of the Virus back with you to give to us who are Florida residents.........
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #13

Dangerboy
Not sure how this will impact you but both Virginia and Maryland closed their campgrounds (public and private)
to everyone except long term people with no other place to go. This was effective Monday evening.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Most public CG's are already closed along your route. Private is the only real option.

Mayberry CG near Mt Airy was open last time I checked.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
We are not headed to the epicenter. NYC is the epicenter. We live north of Syracuse, about 300 miles from NYC. We will self quarantine when we get back for at least 2 weeks, as we have been for 2 weeks here.
sigh. There are actually several New York States!
First we have NYC.
Second is north of the Bronx: Westchester Putnam Duchess County. Still close to NYC and often referred to as "Upstate" by residents trying to impress others. They are not Upstate
North Country. North of the Mohawk Valley.
Mohawk Valley: the i 90 pipeline
Except for Central NY.: Syracusans never never say they are from Upstate.
Western NY.. Buffloanians for some reason feel more like the Midwest. Jello salads pop up.

Now at election time there are two NY States. Long Island and NYC is one
Usually totally opposed by the rest of NYS.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
Hello Folks,
As the title says, we are (Snow Birds) leaving Florida and driving home to NY on April 1st. Wondering if anyone has been on the road north and can describe conditions. Our route starts in Ocala with State Route 301 north (around Jacksonville) to I95 into SC, onto I26 until I77 north. Then I81 all the way to Binghamton, NY. Then I88 to Albany and I87 to Plattsburgh.

We are self-contained in a Class C only needing gas stops and rest stops along the way. Thanks for any feedback.
We usually take a 3/4 days to get back to Syracuse area why hurry... we received emails from the KOA’s where we stay at and they are open but have different check in methods and must be self contained.
Vettnut69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #17

Quote:

We usually take a 3/4 days to get back to Syracuse area why hurry... we received emails from the KOA’s where we stay at and they are open but have different check in methods and must be self contained.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
Dangerboy
Not sure how this will impact you but both Virginia and Maryland closed their campgrounds (public and private)
to everyone except long term people with no other place to go. This was effective Monday evening.

The KOA in Virginia is still open for self contained RVS...
Old 04-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #19

I hope you stay home for 14 days
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #20

We drove same route from HHI SC 4 weeks ago now (March 22-23). Be aware that ALL rest stops were closed in PA when we passed through.

At the time, some rest stops were very uncomfortable feeling because they were VERY busy and few precautions taken, others were better. Worst one was the VA welcome center on 77 NB. We found that top brand gas stations were better for rest rooms. Keep gloves handy for fuel stops.

Overall traffic was down along there 4 weeks ago, expect it is much less by now. Just got back from a delivery trip this afternoon and traffic was non-existent. The Canadians are all pretty much home now; most travel health insurance plans cancelled their policy holders in mid-March so everyone returned home rather than face a huge health bill disaster down there.

Note on traffic up here; sister texted me to say she saw road kill on Express Lanes of the 401 in Toronto this afternoon. If you have ever driven that stretch you will understand that the animal had to cross about 12 traffic lanes of the busiest highway in North America to get hit on the inner lane - it NEVER happens, until now...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote