Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #1

Dual Pane Windows Leak

I full time and with this much use of an RV you rapidly get from the new stage to the maintenance stage. Things just wear out from more use than they are designed to see. At least that is the world according to Ed! Example after 4 years of full time use: 3 Thetford potty's, 2 auto transfer switches (Yes, The first one was the IOTA 50A which was recalled so maybe that one doesn't count, but the replacement from another company just failed also), 1 Norcold Refrigerator, 1 propane auto switchover regulator, 2 propane pigtails, 1 slide motor, 1 front landing gear motor and wireless control box, and 1 ceiling fan, etc. Fortunately all covered under warranty or extended warranty. Now the new issue (still under extended warranty).

I noticed yesterday two windows have moisture between the panes of glass. You only see it when the outside temperature is above 90. As the temp goes down in the evening the condensation disappears. I do have pictures so I will be discussing this with my dealer when I return to my home base next week. The picture of the large window isn't the best, but you can see the moisture clearly on the right side, but the left side is harder to see. Look right above the word "exit" and you will notice the background isn't clear.

I know the discussion that might start on the value of dual pane windows and I would definitely buy them again even if I do have to replace a window occasionally. For full time use in 4 seasons they are worth their weight in gold to me.
Attached Thumbnails
20140906_144354.jpg   20140906_144402.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

I have seen similar issues in fixed homes. If they are sealed then the seal is broken and the window needs to be replaced. If they are not sealed then maybe they can be opened for cleaning, just open, clean and close. It will return. The problem is aluminum and glass expand and contract at different rates add the vibration from towing and it only gets worse.
Glad you like them I'm thinking of getting them in my next trailer.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

I went through temps as low as 8F this past winter and I have never had a problem with condensation. I spend my summers on the Florida Gulf Coast with temps in the 90's and humidity to match. I have never had a problem with my a/c's keeping me cool.

Definitely would not be without dual pane windows even if I have to maintain them occasionally.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

I wish I had dual panes. I get tired of the dripping condensation in cold weather. Now about your windows, they probably do have a little leakage problem. And since you still have warranty, this probably doesn't apply. But I've heard that for residential dual panes there are companies that can evacuate the interior, refill them with whatever magic gas they use in there, then reseal them. That might be a possibility when your warranty runs out.

3 Thetfords? Wow! I had to replace the water fill valve on mine after two years (came close to having a floor flushing with that one), and had to clean the flush seal a few times because of leak down. Otherwise, it's holding up. Did yours break?

By the way, I think I stayed at the park in PCB you're at a few years ago. It's like a jungle around there.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #5

It's funny you said "jungle around there" Bill. My great nephew who was 3 at the time told my niece after they left here from visiting for a weekend "Uncle Ed Lives in a Jungle". Pretty perceptive for a 3 year old I thought.

My Thetford Style II just wears out. The water valves give up well as the foot flush mechanism. The foot flush pedal pivots plastic on plastic. After awhile the joint gets sloppy and the pedal falls off. The only part that hasn't caused a problem is the bowl seal gasket. I could have replaced all of the worn parts vs replacing the entire toilet, but warranty covered it so I just go a new one. The flush mechanism just isn't up to use 365 days a year IMHO.