Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Frozen Black Tank

Ok...first let me say I appreciate any help in advance. I'm looking for solutions, not condemnation as I know I've screwed up here.

Staying in West Texas and the cold front seems to have frozen my black tank contents, preventing it from fully dumping. I have seen some contents flow out by opening it up briefly every day, so I'm fairly confident a clog (other than the "black ice" blocking the drain) nor a broken valve is the issue.

I have placed a small heater on top of the black tank without success...tried using a hair drier from underneath with minimal success.

I am hoping to tap into everyone's experience for a speedier solution other than "wait until spring" as we will be staying in it for the next several weeks while I'm working.

I realize antifreeze would have prevented this...but being relatively new to staying this long on the road and very new to temps this low, I didn't prepare. Hoping to resolve the issue sooner, rather than later.

That being said, with the tank maybe 2/3 full (no the sensors aren't accurate), what are the chances it's got a crack? I haven't seen any leaks, and have tried adding hot water from the shower...so I know there's been liquid in there. Should I be concerned about that? Wait and see?

Sorry for the longer post.

Thank you again for any help and tips you can provide to alleviate our poopsicle!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
mwilliams1623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

My first attempt would have been hot water from the shower, but it looks like you've already tried that...

I guess I would keep trying that repeatedly along with a black tank flush. If you have one built in, use it. If not, go get a wand from Wally World.

Are you sure something's not stopped up? If you were emptying it every day, you could have a "pyramid" as you would've drained off all the liquid and left all the solids. You need to make sure the tank is relatively full (and use PLENTY of water) before you dump or you'll have problems.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Are temps still below freezing at night? What kind of camper and are you running the furnace? I ask because some campers provide heat to the tanks if the furnace is on.

My first thought was run hot water from shower head into the toilet but I see you’ve tried that...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Those tanks are a little flexible, and somewhat forgiving to cracking. The plumbing and fittings are rigid, and depending how much liquid is in them, are more likely to split. If sufficient heat, for enough time isn't helping, the clog may be just inside the valve. I second the wand idea with hot water. Just be careful not to overfill the tank. Good luck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

What Bob said.
"Lot's of water" can't be repeated enough.
I doubt if anything cracked, or I'd be having the same issues.
Fill and dump repeatedly. And try a different toilet paper.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Are temps still below freezing at night? What kind of camper and are you running the furnace? I ask because some campers provide heat to the tanks if the furnace is on.

My first thought was run hot water from shower head into the toilet but I see you’ve tried that...
We have a Northpoint 377rlbh. Temps were in the single digits for 3 nights in a row, with the high of 30 degrees one day and teens overnight for a couple nights as well. We ran the furnace...but even at those temps, I am confident it was below freezing in the underbelly since we kept the furnace on about 60 in the main cabin and just bundled up overnight. Wind chill didn't help either. The rig isn't skirted..so add that to the list of factors [emoji37]

Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

YOu may want to add anitifreeze so it doesn't keep freezing again and again. The hot water mixed with anitfreeze should over time thaw whatever is in there. If you were leaving your black tank valve open, then yes you will have a build up of solids, which when frozen is tougher to thaw.

Keep your valve closed, add hot water and antifreeze and check in a few days to see if it has thawed.

Or do as I do.... move to Arizona...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about your problem. If there's a way you can fashion a small skirt of sorts and then get an electric heater down there, that might be what I try first.

Like others have said, if temps are going to stay that cold, I wouldn't put more water in there. I'd probably spend $20 on a few gallons of RV antifreeze and just pour it in straight.

Table salt is cheap, but I don't know how many pounds you'd have to buy to get it working.

3* F is pretty chilly. I think adding some heat, from the bottom might be the best way. Short of just waiting for a thaw.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Thank you all! I'm going to try and incorporate a combination of your suggestions and see what happens!