Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #1

Full Time Living & aerobic septic system

I am contemplating a permanent move to Texas. For the time being I am living in my camper on my brother's property & hooked up to his facilities. I keep the valves closed on both black & gray tanks until they need to be dumped. The issue is his septic system is an aerobic system. From what I have been able to determine the difference is the aerobic adds oxygen where a conventional system has no oxygen. My brother doesn't want me to add any chemicals because he is afraid they will kill the "good" bacteria. I have searched the internet and found some treatments that say they contain a "Patented formula composed of enzymes and bacteria" one of which is Rid-X RV treatment. I did call a local RV sales company and he advised me not to add any chemical and to use lots of water in the black tank which I am doing but it's real hot here and most times when you open the camper door the smell hits you in the face! Once inside it seems to dissipate. Also my black tank sensor still reads 2/3 full after I dump it.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Terri
TPhillips5113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

I'd call a septic service company and ask them your questions as they may have the best knowledge and advice.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

If I'm not mistaken, as long as your tank chems are formaldehyde free, they should be safe for a septic system.

Otherwise, since this is a temporary situation, maybe honor his request and not use chems at all?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

Problem with keeping both valves closed and then dumping, is, it can cause issues with the septic tank. A tank has multiple chambers, to allow solids to precipitate out and the liquids to flow to the next chamber. When you make a big dump, you chance churning the first chamber thus putting solids into suspension. This allows solids to flow into the second (or third) chamber and into the field. Solids will clog the field and potentially lowers it's capacity to drain liquids.

I am currently at my daughters home, on a septic. I keep the gray tank open and drain the black tank every 3 or 4 days, flushing with the black tank flush. The gray water is slowly (as used normally) discharged into the first chamber and doesn't overload it. The solids are dumped at a relatively low volume again so as to not overload the first chamber.

Good Luck.... PS I don't use chemicals typically, (we dump often as above) but when I do the RidEx RV is a good product... it is similar to the RidEx that is recommended to be added to the septic tank to aid in "digestion".

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
RidEx RV is a good product... it is similar to the RidEx that is recommended to be added to the septic tank to aid in "digestion".
X-2

Happy Campers is another Septic Safe product.

www.happycampersworld.com
Old 08-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Thanks for all the speedy replies ! I have decided to try waggs999's method. I am leaving the gray valve open. Yesterday I dumped the black tank and ran several gallons of water through it with a large squirt of Dawn dish soap. Is is amazing the difference that made! There is very little if any smell since. The sensor is still reading full but maybe after several cycles it will get better.
TPhillips5113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

We keep our rv hooked up on a septic . I use a small amount of buttermilk in the black tank to aid the septic system. Occasional RidX . We use the grey water to water the flower beds around our rv shed & patio . The rv is only thing on septic as we have no house out there. When dumping I allways use lots of water with tank ringer plus let hose run into ground pipe for a while before closing.
The simple rule with any type septic is put nothing in them that will kill the good bacteria. Stuff like Pinesol, Lysol , etc. is a no no.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote