Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #1

Full timers?

Would like to here from some Full timers. Wife and I are aggressively considering it. Would like to here some pros and cons, things to consider, realistic 5th wheel size and any additional valuable input.

Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Since you're in TX I would join Escapees they can provide you with a mailing and vehicle registration address as well as mail forwarding. They have many full timers and should be a good source of info.

For us the PINNACLE was an ideal rig since you could add the washer and dryer and it came with the residential fridge.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #3

do it for yourselves and don't expect everyone in your life to understand. When we made the decision to sell our property and go full time 2 of our adult kids said great go for it, have fun and 2 asked what the hell are you doing that for.
brokenoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

I use the google "My maps" app. It allows me to research the path to my destination (RV camping near ????). Use multiple web sites to get personal comments on campgrounds. "My maps" allow you to place markers and add comments on contacts

Always call ahead (get that one on one with the manager), travel Tuesday thru Thursday (day light hours/ 5hrs as a general rule if possible, and "Steady as she goes" shipmate...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

I'm also seriously thinking of full-timing it, but only have a pop-up and suspect it's not the best type of trailer to full time in, especially in cooler (cold) climates. Also, since I'm single what are the groups for me to join for safety sake, if any?
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

Roux 'b Doux,

You sir, leave a wide berth... Lets start with camping south of say.... South of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Roux 'b Doux,

You sir, leave a wide berth... Lets start with camping south of say.... South of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia?
My birth isn't that wide, I've lost a lot of weight. I hate summer and hot weather, humidity in great quantities isn't a favorite either. :-) And on last thing, no offense was taken btw, but I'm not a Sir, I'm a her. My dog is a sir if that counst.

And Arkansas just might be a good target, then Tennessee. Thanks. But full timing in a popup? Still a touch worried about that.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Would like to here from some Full timers. Wife and I are aggressively considering it. Would like to here some pros and cons, things to consider, realistic 5th wheel size and any additional valuable input.

Thanks
I would think first off, what are your intentions and desires full timing. Do you plan on traveling often or mostly stay in one place? Traveling you may want a smaller unit than you would of permanently in one spot. Also, most full timers, at some point decide to move back to a stick and brick. Understand it may be more difficult purchasing a home years from now. Prices will have increased and your out of that loop, plus, your earnings will most likely be less also.

Guess it's important to decide why your thinking of full timing and what your expectations are. It can get expensive when traveling full time, or even half the time.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux 'b Doux View Post
I'm also seriously thinking of full-timing it, but only have a pop-up and suspect it's not the best type of trailer to full time in, especially in cooler (cold) climates. Also, since I'm single what are the groups for me to join for safety sake, if any?
I would agree it's difficult full timing in a pop up. They are not designed for full time use. Just normal wear and tear even on the canvas portion will require maintenance on a continuing schedule.

What are your reasons for wanting to go full time? Are you planning on traveling often, or mostly stay in a permanent place? Traveling can be expensive, and will require more maintenance on both the RV and the tow vehicle, and, eventually replacement.

Personal security, if you stay in rv parks are a concern but not a major one in my opinion. If you plan on boondocking than security becomes more of an issue.

I would be doing some soul searching and listing why I want to full time, and then you can determine if you can financially handle the costs. Obviously it's less expensive to stay in one place, eliminating fuel costs of towing, also, you can work. It's much more difficult to find work that would pay more than minimum wage when on the road.

Good Luck... let us know what you decide.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #10

The decision is yours. For us it is nice not being tethered to a house with all it's expences and worries. We thought about it for several years before taking the plunge. No regrets here.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #11

Our decision was one we haven’t regretted. We have been full time since June 2017. We own a lot in a RV Resort and spend summers there and travel to a somewhat warmer spot for winter. Our 36 FBTS suits us well. There are times when we travel that it’s size is difficult. We accept that and travel accordingly. Whatever you choose make sure you have the tv to handle it. What others think of your decision doesn’t matter.
Bowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #12

Full Timing!

Full timing is a little like having sex . . . everyone has advice, but it's something you have to experience (and learn from) yourself.

Getting started is the toughest part. You'll have to establish a "Domicile" (legal, mailing, and voting address). And most states don't make it easy! They require a full-time residential address on your drivers license, because they want your income and property tax $$$. Some full-timers use a relative's address, but (technically) that's not legal - and if you get caught, there are some serious tax penalties. Most full-timers select a state where there is no state income tax. Florida, Texas and S. Dakota are the most popular. I chose SD, because they make it so easy. All you need to present to the DMV to get your drivers' license is a receipt for one night's stay in a SD hotel, motel, or campground. And insurance rates are half of what they are in the other two states. There are several mail forwarding services that have offices in SD. I chose "Americas Mailbox" in Box Elder (near Rapid City), and highly recommend them. Spent a night at their on-site campground (they also have a small hotel), signed up for their mailing service, took my receipt to the DMV, and ABRA-CA-DABRA I got my drivers' license. Once every couple of months (or so) I have them forward my mail to wherever I'm staying. I also bought a WiFi Hotspot to do my banking and billpaying. You don't want to use a campground's public WiFi service for things like that.

That's my advice. Hope it helps. Also hope you enjoy the Full-time Lifestyle and the many memories you'll be making.

Best of Luck!