Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 AM   #1

Full-Timing and Keeping Campground Costs Low

We have just purchased a 2017 North Point 375bhfs for our family of 7. We will begin to full time later this year in it, but I wanted to get some ideas on how to keep campground costs low, yet have the hookups we'd need.

Is it possible to get water and 50amp electric for less than $20/night? We'd prefer to have sewer too, but if I have to move the rig to a dump station I suppose I'll get better backing the rig in in a short amount of time.

Any insight or advice or experience would be great!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bertimus2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertimus2002 View Post
We have just purchased a 2017 North Point 375bhfs for our family of 7. We will begin to full time later this year in it, but I wanted to get some ideas on how to keep campground costs low, yet have the hookups we'd need.

Is it possible to get water and 50amp electric for less than $20/night? We'd prefer to have sewer too, but if I have to move the rig to a dump station I suppose I'll get better backing the rig in in a short amount of time.

Any insight or advice or experience would be great!

Thanks!!

If you rent by the month you may be able to get sites for your price range. Stay out of high visitation areas during the summer month, and out of the more desirable areas in the winter. Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #3

We always use state parks, cant say we have ever paid more than 15 night full hook up w/50 amp /water/sewer here is a great web site to visit

https://www.allstays.com/
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Most anywhere will give you a lot better weekly or even monthly rate.

Join Passport America for access to lower prices but don't expect the premium sites or the best locations.

God love ya with a family of seven!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

Have you considered work-camping? We talked to a gentleman last year who works a few hours a week in exchange for a free campsite. His wife works at the campground store while he rides a golf cart and picks up the trash bags people leave at their site and drives them to the dumpster. He said if he works a little over their required hours he gets paid 10.00 per hour.
We have also talked to families who act as campground hosts at a state park. They make sure the bath houses are stocked with supplies and they drive around putting the reservation markers at the campsites. Usually state parks don't have full hook-ups but the campground hosts do!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
We always use state parks, cant say we have ever paid more than 15 night full hook up w/50 amp /water/sewer here is a great web site to visit

https://www.allstays.com/
State Parks in Texas vary but the more popular ones are $26/nite plus the daily entrance fee. You can buy an annual pass for the entrance fee.

Where are you staying for under $15 / nite..
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! We've found a state park in AR that has all hookups but sewer for $16/night.

We're trying to get a better handle on the budget before we are actually on the road and scrambling.

I'm targeting $30/night but anything less is just a savings for us.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Look for the "non franchised" campgrounds that is where you will usually find the best deals or as was mentioned state parks. Only problem with many of those is they have a 14 day max. Also many parks have lower rates for 30 days or more, but elec is metered which we have never found to be a problem.

We are currently in a mobile home park with w/e/s for $500 a month, although no bath house so not sure how that would work with your large family, also no cable or internet.( we have sat and a hot spot)

As was mentioned, if you're looking at several months in one spot, work camping can really keep costs low.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Team

Most state parks limit the time you can stay. Be prepared to move every 2 weeks, even in the same park.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

When I bought my new Jayco last year I got a free membership to Thousand Trails campgrounds. I think they charge $500 per year but if you are full timing it may be worth it for extended stays? I just got the basic membership which has a 14 night limit and so many days per month but I think they have other tiers of camping that allow you to stay longer. All the ones I have stayed at are full hook-up's and well maintained parks. They also partner with Encore and those were really nice up in Wisconsin!
I agreee with previous suggestions that the Passport America could help and I would also check: Good Sam, AAA & KOA's for their membership plans.
Here in OH my wife gets the "Senior Discount" (over age of 60) and so we get 50% off Mon-Thur & 10% off on weekends at all Ohio State Parks, they use don't offer sewer hook-ups. You may want to look into a portable plastic container for that so you can empty trailer without moving it
Happy Camping

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #11

Passport America

Be very flexible- you may need the more expensive parks ( swimming pool - game room - cable - wifi ) but if not weekly or monthly stays and Passport America is the only way to go IMHO we try to average $20 per night and we do most of the time

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #12

All depends on the CG and if you can get a monthly rate. Have found quite a few for less than $450/mo but that does not include electric, which can be over $200 in summer months.

We stay on military bases every now and then too.

Due to where we like to stay during the summer, we budget a lot more for CG (over $1000/month) and then enjoy it when it is less.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #13

We've reallocated to 30ish per night. Thanks for all of the insight. State Parks and PA will help and anytime we're under that's just icing on the cake.

We don't need all the resort amenities, but getting the basics covered is the priority while we get our feet under us.

Y'all are the best!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Buy a Army Corps of Engineer parks campgrounds book. Lots of great camping places across the nation. Additionally have you looked at military base campgrounds?
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #15

It depends on where you want to stay. Our CG last winter was $450/mo plus electric. During winter propane is the cost driver. We used over $100 of propane a month when temps were below freezing at night.

The military CG we are at right now is $19.50/night and includes electric. Only issue is we have to change spaces every 30 days (retired folks have lower priority).

I found some places that advertised low monthly rates ($350/mo) but they did not have any 'long term' spaces available.

And, yes, you can boondock or find state/county/city parks with low rates. The key is, do you want to stay in that area? The more popular the area (eg, Phoenix in winter) the more expensive it will be.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote