Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Fulltime DISH TV -- Big Prob?

We are full time RVers who have just purchased the DISH pay as you go service and a Tailgater satellite dish (made for mobile use). Can anyone help explain 1) why on DISH network satellite service the program guide is only listed in the time zone in which my bill is registered? 2) why I can't get local network programming in the cities I am visiting even though I am using my off-air antenna (through the receiver box).

We purchased what we understood to be a service and equipment made for use by someone who changes location frequently but it does not seem to be responsive to those needs.

Please help.

"Life is a grand adventure... or nothing." (Helen Keller)

'11 Ford F250
'12 Eagle 351 RLTS
newleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

As for the Dish;

Why can't I view my local channels from home in my RV?
Due to FCC regulations, the broadcast signal for local channels may not be available in all locations. Your home's local channels are based on the designated market area you live in. Your home's local channels are delivered through a satellite spot beam that targets your specific designated market area. If you travel outside of the designated market area, you will not be able to view your home's local channels. Your options for viewing broadcast networks in your RV include subscribing to DISH Distant Networks (LA and NY broadcast channels) and using an off-air antenna with your DISH mobile HD receiver, which may provide broadcast channels where you are camping. If you already have DISH Network service at home (home is a fixed residence, such as house or apartment), you will need a separate RV account if you want to view DISH Distant Networks.

Example: If your home is in Denver, CO, and you are in an RV in Yosemite National Park, CA, your RV's mobile HD receiver won't get the Denver local channels, because the satellite spot beam transmits signal only to the area around Denver, CO. Once you travel back to the Denver, CO, designated market area, you will be able to view the Denver local channels.

TV antenna should work but you need to disconnect the sat connection from outiside put the bypass back in and put on the booster switch to have a shot an pulling in any channels.

The other option is having the sat dish on it's own wire and pickig up the flat type coax to run through a window. The downside is that only one TV will have the sat hookup but you can simply flip back and fourth between TV and cable without having to disconnect everything.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
2) why I can't get local network programming in the cities I am visiting even though I am using my off-air antenna (through the receiver box).

Please help.
Just a thought. Did you change the input option from Cable/Sat to Ant on the menu? Then you need to run the channel scan to identify any channels available in the new area. Don't ask me how I know this.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

I cannot offer any insight to your problem, but I can welcome you to our forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

I know how DirecTV handles your issues, but I know nothing about Dish.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
We are full time RVers who have just purchased the DISH pay as you go service and a Tailgater satellite dish (made for mobile use). Can anyone help explain 1) why on DISH network satellite service the program guide is only listed in the time zone in which my bill is registered? 2) why I can't get local network programming in the cities I am visiting even though I am using my off-air antenna (through the receiver box).

We purchased what we understood to be a service and equipment made for use by someone who changes location frequently but it does not seem to be responsive to those needs.

Please help.
To change your Satellite service to get local channels where you are at simply call DISH and they will ask what zip code you are in and they will make the change.

Not sure why you would use your off air crank up antenna...use the DISH...that's why we purchased it.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #7

I don't have dish , but I assume it is similar to Direct TV! When I got to Texas for winter, I tried to get the locals by calling Direct TV. They could not get it on my Dish from Illinois. So I watchen upper channels on The dish and locals on the antennae. Worked fine. But I missed being able to use the DVR on the locals. Called them again and asked if they coulod give me a dish that would work here. They said they had to mount it in the ground permanently. After 45 min of arguing I finally told the lady, "Look if I was asking you to come to my house you would give a dish and a tripod to mount it on free for my camper. I will pay you for the Dish. She said just a min then came back and said it would be $78. I said fine. She said just a min. then after about 10 she came back and said no charge Anyhow {sorry this is so long} the dish they gave me for Texas has 5 eyes, thats what I call them anyhow.
So if your dish is capable of getting the locals they only have to chane your Zip code and you will be in buissness. Then call again next time you move and have them change it back!
Good Luck!
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Dish "spot beams" your local channels... they feel it would take up too muck bandwidth to do anything else... I am glad my Shaw Direct does not do it that way... even down here in SoCal I get my CDN news
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

We have Dish and I just use my smart phone to chat with a customer service rep give them the new address with zip code, no problems.
jakisslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #10

Easy

Call Dish with new zip and in 15 minutes you will get " locals " nearby major market ( usually less than 100 miles )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote