Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #11

Another thought is fuel milage, actual living space, fresh water and waste tanks, Property Taxes some states have them and some don't. My Vote is for the 5ver.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #12

I have to vote for a TT.. NO STAIRS in it... and if you have a MH then when the engine needs working on your house is in the shop. Sure a trailer might have to go into the shop as well BUT when you take the tow vehicle into the shop you still have a place to live. + you dont have greasy mechanics running through your bedroom.
Just my $0.02 worth
Seann

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #13

I can see where the 5'ers would get lots of votes all right. RE taxes; there are several lawyers in Montana that can fix you up with regard to this. First you have to make sure it's not illegal in your state or local area to have out of state tags on your vehicle. If it's not you can register your MH or 5'er or whatever (if it's expensive enough to worry about taxes) in Montana and pay a pittance of what most states charge. I know several people personally that do this but will admit they all own larger MH's, the expensive ones --- $300K and up, that's expensive to me anyway. Having said all that, even with less expensive rigs it can be worth investigating as there can be quite a bit of $$$ to save. Oh yea, some of these lawyers will send you a packet, of sorts, with the info you'll need and a form to give your local lawyer so he/she can investigate the legality of the venture in your area.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Follow up.... As I said, it can be worthwhile registering your unit in Montana depending on the cost of the unit you buy. One last thing; if you keep the unit out of your state for at least 60 days, assuming you buy new, you can then register it as a used unit and save even more, so I'm told. If the wife and I purchase a newer MH or a larger 5'er we're going to look into this as we're not what some call "high rollers" and once you're retired and on a fixed income each dollar counts.

OK, I'm done....
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #15

Calif and a few other western states have gone after people doing this. Hit them up for the taxes plus back interest... IF your retired its best to make Montana your residence even if you never set foot in Mt.
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #16

I have debated the motor home vs fiver issue back and forth in my mind. If I had plently of money, then I would go with the motorhome. Motorhome for the simple fact that the rest of the passengers can use the restroom and kitchen and stretch while doing 60 mph down the highway (pets like that, too). They also appear simpler/faster to set up and maneuver (especially backing up). Having travelled/camped in both a fiver and a motorhome, I found the motorhome to have a much smoother ride as well.
In my current financial situation (definately NOT plenty of money), I would go with the fiver. It offers more room (comparatively speaking - I have a 35 footer), depreciates less, and I can work on it and the pickup myself. I can even change the tires by myself. I can take the truck in almost anywhere for repairs if I can't do it myself. Not so with a motorhome. I have no idea how I would change a tire on those things. As far as driving comfort, all those conveniences in a motorhome apply only to the passengers while traveling. If I have to use the restroom, no matter if it is a fiver or a motorhome, I still have to pull over.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #17

I hate to go against the grain but I have been camping for alot of years and I tried 5th wheelin, motorhome and travel trailers. They all have there good points but for the room ,which me and my wife love, Travel trailer gets my vote. I drove a 36 foot Coachman motor home for 5 years and I hated it. It swayed uncontrollably, anything that passed and messed with the air flow would push you off the road. For comfort travel trailer is the way to go.
yddad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #18

I would have to say travel trailer. I don't want the steps in a 5er and I like having the bed of my truck free. How much time does a full timer actually spend on the road? My guess is that unless they have really deep pockets that they stay in one place for extended periods of time.

I have friends that full time in motor homes and in 5ers and they both like the way they are doing it. The idea of 6mpg with a motorhome pulling a truck or cargo trailer dosen't excite me. I get 9 to 12 towing our tt. I also like using the power plant that I paid good money for. I can use my truck for lots of things but a MH would just stay parked.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #19

We are pretty new at this, but here is my 3 cents. My wife and I both want a "home base" with a stick house somewhere, we couldn't give that up. With that said, our 32BHDS seems like it would be big enough for us, we would have a master bedroom, 'family room' in the back, with plenty of living space for everything else. We have the G2 with the 86 gallon fresh water tank, so that seems like it would sustain us for quite some time. My thought with fulltiming in a TT is that I would want a truck for firewood, backwoods exploring. I am envisioning parking at a place like Zions or Moab for months on end and taking short excursions into all the parks during the day. A little toady wouldn't really get me there...although, if it was a jeep...now there is a thought.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #20

You will find that a lot of fulltimers have an extra vehicle. Chevy Trackers, Suzukis, Jeeps seem to top the list. Often the extra vehicle will tow a small cargo trailer.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote