Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #1

Fulltiming; trailer vs. motorhome

Saw this on another forum and got to wondering what the members here thought. If you are, or were to, start fulltiming would you choose a travel trailer, 5th wheel trailer or a motorhome and why? There's much to say for each way and maybe it's an endless subject but thought you guys might enjoy hashing it around some. Some say trailers give you more living space but you have a truck or SUV to use when going into town and finding a parking spot, etc while the motorhome route gives you the smaller "dingy" to use. The motorhome does have certain advantages over a trailer, especially when on the road (on the move) but those advantages can disappear when parked in a campground. So, what do you think is the best way to go and why?

P.S. This thread can offer some interesting insight if you stop and think what really counts to you and/or what will work best for your family. I for one look forward to reading what you guys think.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #2

I like the idea of a motorhome because your passengers can move around as needed while driving and use the restroom, kitchen or bedroom.
If I had to make the choice right now, I would prefer an A Class motorhome that had washer/dryer. That would be the one main reason.
I would certainly have a "Dingy" or a "Toad" so that we could drive in to town or take short trips and leave the motorhome at the site.
I have a few more years before I make that choice, so it could change by then.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

Hi Daryl,

I tend to agree with your reasoning and I can guarantee my wife does. Being an owner of a Jayco 5th wheel trailer I hate to say it but if we do decide to become fulltimers we may well go the motorhome route though in this day and time I'm not totally sure becoming a fulltimer w/o a roof to come home to is a good idea for many, i.e. should fuel costs skyrocket and become really expensive and accordingly campground fees go way up one could be in trouble and a home to return to would certainly be nice. You know the saying... "Never say never" and this, in my opinion, applies here too. The wife and I have some good friends in Wales (UK) and gasoline there is a few cents over $11 a gallon, unless it’s gone up in the last few months. Not sure what diesel fuel over there sells for but assume it would be about the same or maybe $12 a gallon. I can tell you if I were paying $12 a gallon (my truck burns diesel) I'd be staying longer at each CG, depending on their costs, and wouldn’t be traveling all that far from home. One last comment, "if" fuel costs were to go as high as I've mentioned, and they could if a real shooting war breaks out in the middle east, good CG's may well be charging $75 to $95 a night for full hookups. The less people camping due to higher fuel costs, or whatever, equates to higher prices at CG's.

Back to the subj: I see you've got a few years to go before facing the decision of fulltiming or not, myself I'm there. The wife wants to go more often and possibly stay out longer (not necessarily traveling more miles but staying longer in a particular area) but she also wants that roof to come home to. As you can see the choice is already made for me, been married long enough to know the “terms of engagement” but, the choosing of a motorhome for those longer times out is still an issue. Speaking of that, I see there have been about 22 hits on this thread so how about it out there in Jayco land, anyone else have some input?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #4

First off I'm 37 so full timing is not a option. Second, my wife would never become a full timer, she complains that our house is too small as it is (3K square foot with only three of us).

With that said, this is pure fantasy.

I think I'd want a class "C" motor home with a motorcycle on the back. Full solar system, EU3000W generator, and a extra 50 gal fresh water tank would be a perfect package for me. We had one Winnebago Minnie Winnie growing up and we'd go out for the summer. It had everything but the solar system and was perfect. If my dad got tired of driving he'd find a place to park and we'd sleep.

My reasoning is simple, I'd be able to dry camp just about anywhere (for free) and I'd be self contained, be large enough, yet not too large, easy to pull into small camp grounds and gas stations with no problems. The motorcycle would could get me around without pulling up stakes. I picture myself being a camp host for half the year and a vagabond the rest of the year. A class "c" would be great.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Thanks to the two of you for the feedback. It was just a curiosity question that I though might stir up some "what if".... apparently not this time.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

Well Pete......You may not have got ALL the answers you were looking for, but I think the general consenses would rather have a motorhome of some sort and not a Trailer.
The two of us that chimed in agreed a motorhome be our choice.
I REALLY like my trailer for the camping we currently do, but to fulltime in our trailer would not be a good choice for us. It is a 25RKS, so room is a concern for us if we had this trailer for fulltiming.
I would pick a 34 - 36 foot motorhome and smaller size vehicle. A Ford Edge or something along that line as a toad or dingy.
I hope others come here and give their answers or reasons. You got my interest as to what others may have to say.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #7

I agree with you completely Daryl, and like I said, it's a no-brainer for my wife. The motorhome (s) I'd like would cost w_a_y more than I want to spend but there are still some good choices out there in the used market. Jayco is coming out with a Class A that's really nice and really expensive. When I was in Middlebury, IN having some work done to my 5'er they had one of the new Class A's coming off the line but it's price tag was in the $500K range. They've also got the luxury Class C, called the Embark. It's built on a Freightliner Chassis and powered by ***mins (doubt the engine name was spelled out on the forum, ah I see I'm right). Anyway, the Embark is a nice unit but does look very "truck like". Personally I like the Foretravel or a Newmar Mountain-Aire or Dutch-Aire but they're lots of $$$$ new. Not going to be buying a MH right away so got plenty of time to think and look.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #8

Pete,

Although I don't believe we will ever be full-timers, my wife and I are definitely split on what we will have for camping/traveling after retirement. She really likes the big motor homes with all of the bell's and whistle's. Now don't get me wrong, I really like those rigs also and they have significant benefits. The downside for me is the need for a dingy for short day trips, etc. and the fact that not all campgrounds have room for the larger rigs. For me the travel trailer or 5th wheel is what I would prefer. Disconnect the TV and I have all the vehicle I need to go and do whatever AND when I get back to the brick and mortar I still have a truck to use for ranching and hunting.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #9

Point well taken Patrick! I too realize the benefits of each rig, MH's and 5'ers/travel trailers; each has its good points as well as drawbacks. My wife and I were soundly behind a 5th wheel trailer "if" we ever decided to fulltime it but for now at least it seems the MH as won out. My reasoning is because the wife seems to prefer that mode of camping and this ole boy has been married long enough to know if she's happy I'm happy. I definitely think the 5'ers or travel trailers are the best choice for some and believe me, I can well understand the reasons why.

I seem to be talking way more than I should on this thread, time to sit back and let others have it....
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #10

I would prefer a 5th wheel - don't like the thought of having the driving compartment in my living quarters. As for traveling and needing to eat lunch, use the restroom etc, just pull into a restop or parking lot, fix your food and use the facilities in your 5vr. hasen't been much of a chalenge for me.
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #11

Another thought is fuel milage, actual living space, fresh water and waste tanks, Property Taxes some states have them and some don't. My Vote is for the 5ver.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #12

I have to vote for a TT.. NO STAIRS in it... and if you have a MH then when the engine needs working on your house is in the shop. Sure a trailer might have to go into the shop as well BUT when you take the tow vehicle into the shop you still have a place to live. + you dont have greasy mechanics running through your bedroom.
Just my $0.02 worth
Seann
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #13

I can see where the 5'ers would get lots of votes all right. RE taxes; there are several lawyers in Montana that can fix you up with regard to this. First you have to make sure it's not illegal in your state or local area to have out of state tags on your vehicle. If it's not you can register your MH or 5'er or whatever (if it's expensive enough to worry about taxes) in Montana and pay a pittance of what most states charge. I know several people personally that do this but will admit they all own larger MH's, the expensive ones --- $300K and up, that's expensive to me anyway. Having said all that, even with less expensive rigs it can be worth investigating as there can be quite a bit of $$$ to save. Oh yea, some of these lawyers will send you a packet, of sorts, with the info you'll need and a form to give your local lawyer so he/she can investigate the legality of the venture in your area.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #14

Follow up.... As I said, it can be worthwhile registering your unit in Montana depending on the cost of the unit you buy. One last thing; if you keep the unit out of your state for at least 60 days, assuming you buy new, you can then register it as a used unit and save even more, so I'm told. If the wife and I purchase a newer MH or a larger 5'er we're going to look into this as we're not what some call "high rollers" and once you're retired and on a fixed income each dollar counts.

OK, I'm done....
Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #15

Calif and a few other western states have gone after people doing this. Hit them up for the taxes plus back interest... IF your retired its best to make Montana your residence even if you never set foot in Mt.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #16

I have debated the motor home vs fiver issue back and forth in my mind. If I had plently of money, then I would go with the motorhome. Motorhome for the simple fact that the rest of the passengers can use the restroom and kitchen and stretch while doing 60 mph down the highway (pets like that, too). They also appear simpler/faster to set up and maneuver (especially backing up). Having travelled/camped in both a fiver and a motorhome, I found the motorhome to have a much smoother ride as well.
In my current financial situation (definately NOT plenty of money), I would go with the fiver. It offers more room (comparatively speaking - I have a 35 footer), depreciates less, and I can work on it and the pickup myself. I can even change the tires by myself. I can take the truck in almost anywhere for repairs if I can't do it myself. Not so with a motorhome. I have no idea how I would change a tire on those things. As far as driving comfort, all those conveniences in a motorhome apply only to the passengers while traveling. If I have to use the restroom, no matter if it is a fiver or a motorhome, I still have to pull over.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #17

I hate to go against the grain but I have been camping for alot of years and I tried 5th wheelin, motorhome and travel trailers. They all have there good points but for the room ,which me and my wife love, Travel trailer gets my vote. I drove a 36 foot Coachman motor home for 5 years and I hated it. It swayed uncontrollably, anything that passed and messed with the air flow would push you off the road. For comfort travel trailer is the way to go.
yddad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #18

I would have to say travel trailer. I don't want the steps in a 5er and I like having the bed of my truck free. How much time does a full timer actually spend on the road? My guess is that unless they have really deep pockets that they stay in one place for extended periods of time.

I have friends that full time in motor homes and in 5ers and they both like the way they are doing it. The idea of 6mpg with a motorhome pulling a truck or cargo trailer dosen't excite me. I get 9 to 12 towing our tt. I also like using the power plant that I paid good money for. I can use my truck for lots of things but a MH would just stay parked.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #19

We are pretty new at this, but here is my 3 cents. My wife and I both want a "home base" with a stick house somewhere, we couldn't give that up. With that said, our 32BHDS seems like it would be big enough for us, we would have a master bedroom, 'family room' in the back, with plenty of living space for everything else. We have the G2 with the 86 gallon fresh water tank, so that seems like it would sustain us for quite some time. My thought with fulltiming in a TT is that I would want a truck for firewood, backwoods exploring. I am envisioning parking at a place like Zions or Moab for months on end and taking short excursions into all the parks during the day. A little toady wouldn't really get me there...although, if it was a jeep...now there is a thought.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #20

You will find that a lot of fulltimers have an extra vehicle. Chevy Trackers, Suzukis, Jeeps seem to top the list. Often the extra vehicle will tow a small cargo trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote