Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I'm on the way!
Great! I could use the help getting the land cleared, trees down and bucked, driveway put in, Fence put up in the backyard, deck built, flower beds and shrubs put in, I'm sure I can think of more. LOL!

Seriously though, once I get everything set up, I'll let you know.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
JRD

Red Tape Alert

Don’t underestimate the red tape. In addition to the perc test in my rural Ohio county, you have to show house plans and footprint on a site map to get approved for a septic system by the health department. You may not have this requirement in your location.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #23

Be sure to have a method to close off around the rv to prevent snow and cold wind from blowing in under......it gets cold without shielding from winter weather. JMHO
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #24

My wife and I also moved out into the boonies, and we learned a couple of things the hard way... Someone else mentioned making sure you could get power (electricity), and that's important, but if it's just not available in your area, you have the option ($$$) to install solar panels and a bank of storage batteries. Nowadays, that's becoming a much more attractive solution, even if power is available in your area... Add a stand-by generator for emergency use, and you're golden. If I were doing that today, I'd buy a generator that can burn propane, as you can get a large storage tank from your supplier for a reasonable cost. Champion (and others) make dual-fuel models (gas and propane) that will easily supply 30 Amps. If you ever need to run on generator power for a while, you'll appreciate having the propane to fuel the furnace as well as the generator!

The one thing we "assumed" was availability of water... Oops! All the neighbors we spoke with (and we made it a point to introduce ourselves to the potential neighbors before we bought the property) had water from the local water company. However, when we contacted the water company, they told us that our branch was already "maxed out" supplying the existing customers. To supply us, they would have to upgrade about 3 miles of 2-inch pipe to 4-inch, then upgrade the 1-inch pipe down the country road nearest our private road to 2-inch (including boring under a larger county road), and finally running a new 1-inch line a little over a quarter-mile to our house. Since we would be the reason for all that expense, as well as the only beneficiary, we would have to pay the entire cost of that upgrade. They estimated (12 years ago) that it would cost an additional $48,000 to do all that. Then would we have the privilege of paying them for water...

We decided to go with Plan B instead: drilling our own well. The local well-driller charged $800 to drill to 100 ft (well below the water table in our area). He drilled 7 dry holes before finding two "low-flow" supplies that together would meet our needs. It cost another $2,500 to finish out each of those wells (submerged pump, electrical power, installing the plumbing to get the water to the house). By the time we installed a storage tank (2500 gallons), pressure tank and pressure pump, and built the structure to contain all the electrical and plumbing, we had invested close to $20,000 to have water...

To add to our "challenge", our soil failed the "perc test", so we had to install an "aerobic" type septic system, at considerable additional construction expense, plus the ongoing cost of chlorine on a regular basis.

So, yeah... If I was doing it over, I'd have made the purchase contingent on water supply for sure, and would have done the perc test ahead of time so I knew what I was getting into. Electricity was a 'given' for us, since we live in an electrical co-op area, and they are required by Texas law to supply anyone who asks, and can only charge the regular (and regulated) rate per Kw hour. Eventually, it all worked out for us, but the water situation was pretty scary for a while, and created a lot of stress for us.
JimParker256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #25

Just thought of another tip that was very helpful to us:

You will probably be buying your building materials at a local building supply center. Read between the lines as not from the big box stores.

The building supply center should have lots of contractors to refer you to.

When we built our first home, the references we got were instrumental in our successful build.

Congratulations on your opportunity!

If I can be of any help, please let me know.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:28 AM   #26

What’s different with that
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdogg View Post
Hello all me and the dw are going full time in our new jayfeather 22rb but we are going to move from michigan down to Tennessee we are going to buy a nice peice of unrestricted land build a carport for over the rv and possibly build a house on the property in the future I would like to get any of your thoughts as to what to consider before doing all of this I know other things will have to be done we are very excited to start this new way life if you or anybody you know have done this please feel free foe any ideas or pros and cons to doing this thanks
In choosing a local, how much annual snowfall did you decide you could tolerate?
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #28

We are considering this ourselves. We are looking at RV land sites and unrestricted land as well. We also are considering buying land that may have a mobile home on it and maybe park the trailer next to it if we can tap into the sewer and electric system as well. But we are looking at NC not TN. Hopefully we can find something that doesn't need clearing out a few timbers or hiring someone to clear a spot for us. Good luck. I love hearing about stuff like this.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
Don’t underestimate the red tape. In addition to the perc test in my rural Ohio county, you have to show house plans and footprint on a site map to get approved for a septic system by the health department. You may not have this requirement in your location.

We were told to do the perc test before all else and before we go ahead and do what we were thinking especially what with thinking of a mobile home instead of an RV because if the perc fails you are stuck with a worthless land purchase. But then again even if it fails you are still incurring cost. We are heading to NC to see some land and hope the perc works. O the stress of buying land over what is already established. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
My wife and I are planning on doing something very similar. We're currently looking for property around the Black Hills area of South Dakota. Our plan is to purchase the property, first making sure there is electric to the site and it will pass perc. Once that hurdle is cleared, install a septic system and have a spot graded and leveled with gravel we can park the trailer on. Next layout a site for a modular home of about 1350 sq ft. Have the foundation for the house put in, including an area on the end of the house for an oversized two car garage. Once the house is set and we can move into it, I want to put up a steel building at least 30x50 with a concrete floor and wired for 50 amp RV electric both inside and one box outside at the front of the building. I also want to put in a sewer drain and water hydrant at the front of the building so I can dump my tanks at home or if we have we friends visit with their RV. I figure we'll be able to make the move in the next 2-3 years, arriving in the spring, and have the house up before winter. Our plan is still flexible enough at this point that if I need to adapt some of the things I want to do, we can.

Are you sure we are not related? We are planning the same thing in NC. Heading down to look at land in 2 weeks. And yes a mobile home on the land. But we are also looking at land that already has a mobile home on it and no matter the condition sell that mobile home put something on it that is much newer. But still not sure. But we will in 2 weeks. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #31

Funny, Wife and I wanted to do the same, RV Port type setup with small house extension on the side......but couldn't find land available that wasn't restricted... but we were looking for something near a river/water way... or the land was way expensive....people I knew there said "everyone" was moving to Tennessee and land values have gone through the roof...well undeveloped land where you can put in an RV Port, and supporting drainage/septic, etc...
still looking for something we can afford...BUT once we went through Montana/Wyoming area, might change our minds and build something there...and escape during the winters....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
In choosing a local, how much annual snowfall did you decide you could tolerate?
I can handle tons of snowfall being from Northern Michigan our local area just got 12 inches overnight last week
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #33

Thanks to all of you some great ideas here I didn't realize this many people do this kind of thing
Old 11-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #34

Thanks everyone for all the advice some great ideas here hopefully I can do this sooner than later
Old 11-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #35

In Pa sometimes you can buy land cheap at a county tax sale. Not sure if other states do the same. Some states like Pa after doing a perc test you have to pay someone to design the septic system in order to get the septic permit. When you drill a well a reputable well driller will not stop drilling a well till he hits an adequate amount of water. I built one house he had to drill 650’ to hit water. I have a property I camp on now. I just had a well drilled 230’ with 60’ well casing cost $3000. that don’t include the well pump. Some town may require a permit to drill a well. I didn’t have to, but the next town does. Good luck
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote