Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #1

Going full time a little differently

Hello all me and the dw are going full time in our new jayfeather 22rb but we are going to move from michigan down to Tennessee we are going to buy a nice peice of unrestricted land build a carport for over the rv and possibly build a house on the property in the future I would like to get any of your thoughts as to what to consider before doing all of this I know other things will have to be done we are very excited to start this new way life if you or anybody you know have done this please feel free foe any ideas or pros and cons to doing this thanks
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Will you have a way to dump your tanks?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Will you have a way to dump your tanks?
I'm going to put in a septic myself I'll be doing most of all the work myself
Old 10-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #4

We've done it twice.

Everyone has different plans, but based on our experience, here are some basic suggestions:

Make sure you have water available on the property. If it's not there, put in a well.

Before you buy your property, have it perc tested to see if a septic system will work.

You will need power to the property.

All 3 of these items are 100% non negotiable.

We put our tt in a campground until these utilities were in place.

If you need any more info, please let me know.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
We've done it twice.

Everyone has different plans, but based on our experience, here are some basic suggestions:

Make sure you have water available on the property. If it's not there, put in a well.

Before you buy your property, have it perc tested to see if a septic system will work.

Ok yes we are going to put most of those things in but did not think of perc tested thanks for the info did you put up any outbuildings or use a carport of some sort I really like the idea for added protection
Old 10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

Your carport should also include a porch roof for when you sit outside and maybe eat under cover
Old 10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Man...I'd love to do this. Kudos to you..and good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #8

Definetly going to make the carport with extra space for patio I have a few ideas butbits gonna depend on what property we buy
Old 10-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Man...I'd love to do this. Kudos to you..and good luck!
You could do it its definetly going be a big change and alot of work but we can all do anything we set our minds to and thanks I belive it will all work out
Old 10-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
RPR

Make sure you check local codes, especially on the perc test, on the septic tank install.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #11

Definitely will thanks thats why I'm also looking for unrestricted land it will be a long process buy its what we want
Old 10-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
RPR

Info
Attached Thumbnails
5A0763CC-B8D4-484E-BEA9-A5E7E14715BF.jpg  
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #13

Nice I like that but I will be building everything up to code no matter what I'm not trying to build a bunch o junk lol but there is definetly alot to consider to it seems septic might be my biggest obstacle but we will make it work
Old 11-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
We've done it twice.

Good advice. Why people think they can put what ever on "unrestricted land" is beyond me. I lived in Tennessee for years, there is no such thing in any county as "unresticted" land. Maybe "unzoned land", but if someone thinks the State or county or township isn't going to get involved, with their projects, they are mistaken.
At the minimum, you are are going to need power, an inspected septic system and a source of water. If you are buying a parcel of land in the boonies, this isn't going to be cheap. Building permits were required for just about any structure in 1975, I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed. Anyway, just trying to save you a lot of headaches.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #15

My wife and I are planning on doing something very similar. We're currently looking for property around the Black Hills area of South Dakota. Our plan is to purchase the property, first making sure there is electric to the site and it will pass perc. Once that hurdle is cleared, install a septic system and have a spot graded and leveled with gravel we can park the trailer on. Next layout a site for a modular home of about 1350 sq ft. Have the foundation for the house put in, including an area on the end of the house for an oversized two car garage. Once the house is set and we can move into it, I want to put up a steel building at least 30x50 with a concrete floor and wired for 50 amp RV electric both inside and one box outside at the front of the building. I also want to put in a sewer drain and water hydrant at the front of the building so I can dump my tanks at home or if we have we friends visit with their RV. I figure we'll be able to make the move in the next 2-3 years, arriving in the spring, and have the house up before winter. Our plan is still flexible enough at this point that if I need to adapt some of the things I want to do, we can.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
My wife and I are planning on doing something very similar. We're currently looking for property around the Black Hills area of South Dakota. Our plan is to purchase the property, first making sure there is electric to the site and it will pass perc. Once that hurdle is cleared, install a septic system and have a spot graded and leveled with gravel we can park the trailer on. Next layout a site for a modular home of about 1350 sq ft. Have the foundation for the house put in, including an area on the end of the house for an oversized two car garage. Once the house is set and we can move into it, I want to put up a steel building at least 30x50 with a concrete floor and wired for 50 amp RV electric both inside and one box outside at the front of the building. I also want to put in a sewer drain and water hydrant at the front of the building so I can dump my tanks at home or if we have we friends visit with their RV. I figure we'll be able to make the move in the next 2-3 years, arriving in the spring, and have the house up before winter. Our plan is still flexible enough at this point that if I need to adapt some of the things I want to do, we can.
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Seems well thought ought, this is what needs to happen before jumping into a huge move.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #17
Site Team

I would like to have a friend like that! Great plan.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Seems well thought ought, this is what needs to happen before jumping into a huge move.
After 20 years and 5 major moves including one overseas and back with the USAF, I tend to plan out my moves a little more in depth. I made one other major move on my own after retirement. About 15 years ago, I moved myself in a U-haul with all my belongings from Dover Delaware to a little bitty town in the northern California mountains to be with my then girlfriend. I moved into her house with her and 4 young girls, ages 8, 9, 11, and 13. We got married 13 years ago, all the girls are grown and moved out on their own, we bought a house and moved into it. Now we are empty nesters living in a 2 story 5 bedroom house and I rarely even venture upstairs. I figure we can sell this place for about twice what we owe on it, and I have a good sized nest egg set aside in the bank to purchase a piece of property outright and still have a decent cushion in case of emergency. We figure South Dakota because 1) we've visited the area twice in the past two years and love the place, 2) the politics and taxes are great, 3) being as I'm retired military, Ellsworth AFB is nearby and available for us to use for different resources, and 4) we have family on both sides of the country, in California, Nevada, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. Being in the middle of the country makes sense for us.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would like to have a friend like that! Great plan.
I'm also thinking about if I put up a building that big, I can put my trailer in on one side with the slide room out, my truck on the other side, and still have room to rent out covered secure storage space for a small trailer or two or one big pusher MH or 5er and a small trailer. Make the rent pay for the building itself.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I'm also thinking about if I put up a building that big, I can put my trailer in on one side with the slide room out, my truck on the other side, and still have room to rent out covered secure storage space for a small trailer or two or one big pusher MH or 5er and a small trailer. Make the rent pay for the building itself.
I'm on the way!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote