Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #41
Site Team

It's just where you are comfortable.
We live 4 miles from the beach, in summer and fall we go to Western NC to paddle, hike and enjoy cool, humid free days and nights. In winter we go to central Florida for a month or so to run from what we consider cold weather, which is the mid 30's. We can get to all these places in 6 hours of driving.

I wish many others had the same thoughts some of ya'll have on the cold, maybe it wouldn't be so crowded down South. I don't know many who are wanting to move North after retirement.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoo View Post
33 RLDS
I just hate being cold the older I get. Everything hurts and I fight to keep my house warm, my truck warm and my body warm. A constant battle for a few months.
Listen to these prophetic words of wisdom from me:
The older you get the more your going to hate it. You’ll see.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. I despise winter and here in Indiana they're brutal. Have you ever looked at the global warming map of the planet? The only place on earth that is still below normal is the eastern half of the United States. But, not to worry. There is a massive El Nino brewing that's going to bring us a mild winter--yeah right. My wife wants to move south when we retire in 4 years, but I'm not sure if I want to or not. Love to visit Florida, but not sure if I could live there. Way too many people. I think I can convince her that we could spend 3 months down there during winter, which would be fine with me.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #43

I live in eastern NC in a huge retirement area. 2\3 of the population if the town I live in (River Bend) is retiries from up north. Most are what us natives call half backers. They moved to Florida decided it was too hot or too far and moved halfway back to NC. Look up New Bern, Beaufort, or Oriental as they are the retirement hubs but the 3 county area is a retirement haven.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #44
Site Team

SC is the same way. Very retiree friendly state, mild temps and easy drive to see the relatives left up north. Close enough to Florida for a short trip in winter, or to western NC or Virginia for cooler weather in summer.

I hate cold weather also, trouble is cold is a relative statement.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #45

I hear you on the winters. My wife and I decided to sell everything last year in SC and move back to the buffalo area to be close to family. Well that lasted 5 months. We sold our house in SC and hit the road in October, and by March we were packing up a uhaul and headed back to SC. I'm originally from the area so knew what we were getting into, but my wife had no idea. She loved the winter wonder land until snowvember when she was stranded in a house with her father in law for a week...
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #46

Smitty75,
We all make mistakes. I made the biggest mistake of my life when I sold my house in San Diego ( the most beautiful city, weather, people in the country ) and moved back home because I was homesick.
If only I would have known what winters do to a person when they grow old. Incidentally, the house I bought in 1971 cost me $21,000. It just sold for $478,000.