Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Help with route

Seeking advice from seasoned RV travelers.

We are taking our Jayco 29XK Class C to Vegas to see the new grandson. We'll be leaving NW Florida around Jan 10 and returning the first or second week of Feb. Any other time we have driven it's been in car or suv. We have used I-10, up to I-20 Sherveport and up to I-40 Amarillo and on west, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and so on.

Never taken the motorhome and we are concerned about possible inclement weather, snow, ice, etc.
That time of year, would we be better off to stay south and take I-10 all the way out and cut north in AZ to Las Vegas?

We thought that staying south, albeit a little longer route, would hopefully be an easier journey, weather wise.

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance.

Charlie, Meg and Corky the Maltese Dog
2016 Redhawk 29XK "Corky's House"
Freeport, FL
corky111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #2

If I had to drive a motorhome to that part of the country in Jan-Feb I would stay as far south as possible to avoid freezing, ice, and snow. It may take a bit longer but you will enjoy the drive.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If I had to drive a motorhome to that part of the country in Jan-Feb I would stay as far south as possible to avoid freezing, ice, and snow. It may take a bit longer but you will enjoy the drive.
X2

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Your question:
'That time of year, would we be better off to stay south and take I-10 all the way out and cut north in AZ to Las Vegas?'
YES. You can still encounter nasty weather when I-10 leaves the coast, so pay attention to the forecasts. There can be many lonely miles in the west so... 'When in doubt, wait it out.'

BTW, late this month we'll be heading from AZ to FL. We'll head south in AZ to I-10. South of El Paso we'll leave I-10 to see some parts of TX we've bypassed in previous trips - Big Bend Nat'l Park, Amistad National Recreation Area, and then to Magnolia Beach, TX. Then we'll follow the coast and I-10 to FL and then WDW.

Be safe and have a good trip.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

Have you winterized your rig? You could travel and use Motels if it is. Woke up one "November" morning on a quick overnight stop off I-40. It was about 34 degrees. Yea I would stay south as much as possible. Steady as she goes and keep her between those navigational beacons. Good luck.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

In January and February you're guaranteed to have some really bad roads on the way to Las Vegas unless you stay south. The weather around here can turn to really ugly in a matter of hours, and that's no exaggeration. We've experienced it, even late fall and early spring; and there really is a point of no return when there's nothing you can do but try to get to the next close location safely!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks, to all, for the advice. We'll come across I-10 from Florida, through Tuscon and Phoenix to Quartzite and then north on 95 to Vegas. That seems to be the way to keep south the longest. Little bit longer drive. All things considered, i think it will be worth it. Looking forward not only to seeing the new grandson, but the trip should be a lot of fun.

This will be the longest we have gone yet.

Freeport, FL
Old 12-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky111111 View Post
Thanks, to all, for the advice. We'll come across I-10 from Florida, through Tuscon and Phoenix to Quartzite and then north on 95 to Vegas. That seems to be the way to keep south the longest. Little bit longer drive. All things considered, i think it will be worth it. Looking forward not only to seeing the new grandson, but the trip should be a lot of fun.

This will be the longest we have gone yet.
Congrats on the new grandson, but don't be surprised if you hit bad weather. Had a "70 mile trek" of ice in December going thru Amarillo. That is an area of the country that is a total crap shoot in the winter.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Congrats on the new grandson, but don't be surprised if you hit bad weather. Had a "70 mile trek" of ice in December going thru Amarillo. That is an area of the country that is a total crap shoot in the winter.

Thanks, he's our first and there'll be no keeping the DW from the grandbaby!

Yeah, I could see wicked weather in the panhandle. Luckily, we will be a few hundred miles south on I-10. Houston, San Antonio, etc. New route, new things to see!

We had some squirrley weather in the TX panhandle on I-40 last time we went through there in the suv. And that was during late springtime!

Freeport, FL