Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Home School kids

I recently retired. We are selling the house and moving to FL or fulltiming. We have two kids. One is in kindergarten and the other in 2nd grade. Who home schools their kids? What programs or systems do you use? What is good and bad about it. Any other suggestions?

2012 Jay Flight Swift 267BHS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Crew Cab
Flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

I can't offer any advice. We have a 3 year old and a 10 month old and my wife is STRONGLY considering home schooling.

If you move to Florida you have to contact the local school and advise them you are home schooling. They should (at least they do here) give you a curriculum and information about other home schooled children in your area.

If you are a church goer, contact your local church and see if they have home school programs. Some have co-op home schooling where you teach from home 3-4 days a week and have 1-2 days a week where the kids gather in a central location and learn together. I think I prefer that method if we do go to home schooling... better socialization.

If you full time, use your traveling as an advantage. Take them to Gettysburg to talk about the Civil War. Take them to Boston to teach them about the revolution. Take them to the Smithsonian Museums in DC to teach them science and history. Take them across the country to teach them geography. How better can you learn than hands on!

Let us know what you decide to do. I'm sure others with actual experience will chime in as well. Good luck and congrats on retirement!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Team

My son and his wife are home schooling 3 kids. I will find out which curriculum
they use. They went to a weekend seminar in Charlotte where they got all the information and supplies. A lot o fit is done online so you will need to make arrangements for internet access.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

We homeschool the 2 older ones. Also did when we were full timing. I'll get with the wife and see which curriculum we're using. I know she's changed a few things. You may start with one, but different kids require different things, so the curriculums can vary. My responsibility since it am the type of person I am, is science projects, outdoor stuff and anything mechanical or engineering related.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

We started with Seton last year, now we're with CHC (Catholic Heritage Curriculum). I know we're not supposed to mention religion here, but oh well, that's what we use. Registered as Dickson Christian Academy. We've changed just to see what works, and CHC works better for us now.

No doubt, in our case, home schooling will try your patience, but in the end, that along with RVing, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

We homeschool all of our 4 kids. Started when my oldest, a current junior in high school, was in Kindergarten. We use Mother of Divine Grace. It is an accredited program. It is Catholic but anyone can use it. There is a very large and we'll organized Catholic homeschool support group out of Tampa. My best friend is on the board. 😊

Funny what spoon059 said above. We live in CA and are currently on a trip. Flew to D.C. for the Pope's visit. Visited 3 of the Smithsonian museums, all the monuments and memorials, Ford's Theatre, Arlington Cemetery, Mt. Vernon, Gettysburg then drove through PA and are now in NY visiting grandparents. May make it to Niagara Falls before flying back.

Nice to have the flexibility and miss the crowds! My older kids can still attend their online classes even on the road.

I can't imagine doing it any other way! As for socialization you don't have to participate in a coop to get it. We don't. Kids are in sports, go on field trips, Boy Scouts and American Heritage Girls, weekly park days, teen outings, etc. No shortage of it is my point.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #7

We recently graduated two homeschoolers who are now in college, and have a third with 5 years to go.

At the age of your children, I wouldn't know what curriculum to point you to, it's been a long time since we had kids that age, but honestly, at that level, basic reading, writing, arithmetic and some fun historical stories, crafts, etc. are all that's needed. If there are not ample amounts of fun mixed in, you're doing it wrong. Look into unit studies as well, our kids loved them at that age. When the older ones were junior high age we did a unit study on Lewis and Clark and traveled to various places on the Oregon Trail (mostly local for us). I had as much fun as they did.

I would suggest the most important thing you can do is to plant yourself in a community of other homeschool families and build relationships. You will likely find there are church programs, co-ops, etc, all of which are useful. My wife kind of went hog-wild and we probably now own more curriculums than three average homeschool families combined.

Classical Conversations is a nation-wide co-op that is used by many. Each of our kids did it for a year or two, but we decided in the end it wasn't the best fit for us. It is very regimented. I like the program a lot, but it's not as flexible as our kids needed.

The most important thing is to get plugged into the local homeschool community, though. And don't get intimidated, it's really easy to get intimidated. Trust that, regardless of what you mess up, your kids will still turn out well. If you look into how much they can learn in a few hours vs. an entire day in a traditional school environment, it will be an eye opener as to what's really required.

Probably the biggest benefit of homeschooling for us is that our kids never went through the "teenage rebellion" years. We have a great relationship with all three of our kids and never had to deal with that sort of thing. No drinking, drugs, fights, wild parties, etc.

Myself, coming from a broken family in which I was the rebellious one, I am continually amazed at how "grown up" my kids are, even the youngest one, because they are not immersed in the usual secular public school culture like I was at their age. It makes a huge difference in their character, and I've come to realize that getting into an Ivy League college is not the goal of their education.

Teaching them to love God and love learning is the goal. The rest will take care of itself in the end.

Just my 2 cents.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote