Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Fulltiming and Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
Site Team

Large Travel Trailer vs. Park Model for Seasonal Site

There is a local campground that we have been visiting frequently over the last several years. Earlier this summer, we applied for a seasonal site (Mid April through October) for next year since we are now going so often. There is quite a waiting list and there are no guarantees that we will get in for next year. But, before we left the campground today, one of the office workers had my wife fill out some additional paperwork for next year. Again, absolutely no guarantees. But, it has us cautiously optimistic.

If we would indeed secure a seasonal site, we would be interested in purchasing a second, larger RV to place at the seasonal site and keep our little Feather for our annual road trips. So, here's my question. If you were buying a unit specifically for a seasonal/permanent site, what would you choose and why? We have some basic requirements........large bunks or a separate bedroom for the kids, outside kitchen, large awning, etc. I see a mix of large travel trailers and park models mixed throughout the campground. I am wondering what advantages there would be either way.

Again, this is a long way off and still in the wish stage, but it gives us a little something to look forward to over the next few months.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

I never had a seasonal site and don't really plan to, but if it were me I think I would go with a park model simply for the huge windows. Windows are never large enough in a travel trailer.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #3

The advantage of a Park Model they are designed for more long term use. Then you have the Destination trailers like the JAY FLIGHT BUNGALOW however JAYCO doesn't offer the residential toilet option that FOREST RIVER and KEYSTONE do. If you order with a residential toilet it eliminates the need for a black tank, so the dumping hassle is gone. There are two types of Park Models, ANSI or HUD the HUD units are designed for more full time living and are built to more stringent standards where ANSI are more RVIA standards. The Park Model would extend your season into the colder months too.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #4

We had a year 'round site for several years with our TT. There were no slides, the bedroom was in the front with a curtain, jack knife couch and there were 3 bunks in the back. If we had it to do all over again, we would seriously consider the park model - more windows as mentioned.

We have friends who have been on a seasonal site for close to 10 years and have a TT with bunk house & slide. Works for them when the grandkids come to visit.

Hope you get the seasonal site.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Thanks everyone. You have already given me a lot to consider.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #6

I would go with a park model for sure. I think the resale value would be a lot better.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

This is an opposite view. We have been using a SWFL site for the past five years and our Hummingbird was getting a bit to small for the two of us with a medium size dog. We started thinking and looking when a 35 foot Newmar 5th wheel became available in the same park. It is will cared for and the occupancy fees for the winter are about what we paid for the Bird, summer storage is very reasonable as well. We will also be able to use our Bird for the migrations and just leave it in the storage area for the winter, I'm adding a small solar so I can keep the vent fan running over the winter.

Another consideration was we were able to stay in the same place with all our winter friends, something we wouldn't have been able to do as none of the park models were on the market.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

We were seasonal for 10 years. We started with a TT just to see if we liked it and we did. We factory ordered a 37' SOB 5th wheel. It had 15 windows so plenty of light and a great view. The reason we went with a towable vs a park model is the fact that it was towable. Didn't have the truck to pull it at the time but knew people who did if we ever wanted to move to another CG. Or we could buy a dually if we eventually wanted to take it on the road. Sold it on the site because after 10 years we wanted to get back on the road and a 37'er wouldn't squeeze into our favorite state parks.

Good luck with your decision
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Team

If you get the seasonal will you be locked in for it long term? It sounds great but I would not want to get there for season and not have a long term lock on the site?

In the private park we frequent the seasonals get to keep it as long as they pay the fees at the end of the current season or a deposit. Not a contract but an agreement with the owner. They will allow it to stay on the site for 6 months during off season for a fee.

We may do that at some point as age makes it a pain to move the rig. Many leave the winterized rv there when the 6 month season ends 10/31 thru 5-1.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Site Team

I can't answer the question on if it will be allowed to stay in the off season or have the same guaranteed site for the following year quite yet. As it stands right now, yes the seasonal sites stay with the renter year to year as long as they renew. The campground was bought out at the beginning of this current year and I have heard that the new ownership is changing some of the policies. I'm not positive what those changes are however.

If we would have to move it year to year, that certainly would change the options.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
There is a local campground that we have been visiting frequently over the last several years. Earlier this summer, we applied for a seasonal site (Mid April through October) for next year since we are now going so often. There is quite a waiting list and there are no guarantees that we will get in for next year. But, before we left the campground today, one of the office workers had my wife fill out some additional paperwork for next year. Again, absolutely no guarantees. But, it has us cautiously optimistic.

If we would indeed secure a seasonal site, we would be interested in purchasing a second, larger RV to place at the seasonal site and keep our little Feather for our annual road trips. So, here's my question. If you were buying a unit specifically for a seasonal/permanent site, what would you choose and why? We have some basic requirements........large bunks or a separate bedroom for the kids, outside kitchen, large awning, etc. I see a mix of large travel trailers and park models mixed throughout the campground. I am wondering what advantages there would be either way.

Again, this is a long way off and still in the wish stage, but it gives us a little something to look forward to over the next few months.
Depending on the manufacturer, park models may have more permanent hookups and are not easy to move if required. We have a park model on a leased, not seasonal, lot. Our RV resort also has seasonal sites which they are no longer renewing as folks leave. They converted about a dozen back to short term this year when seasonal folks didn’t renew by the cut off date. That action is also resulting in cleaning out all the eye sore crap that some seasonal folks had around their sites.

This is our park model which we purchased used in November.
Attached Thumbnails
F4DEBA66-AE69-4440-BF19-E3D9CAA58949.jpeg  
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

We have a 2017 36’ Jayco Flight with 3 slides. It is so very comfortable, roomy and about the same size as Park Models. We have an ANNUAL site although our Park is only open for occupancy May thru October. This is a perfect situation for us to avoid the summer heat as it is at 6500’. We have no intention of pulling it anywhere - but we could.
Price is a huge consideration in my opinion.
A Park Model basic is approaching 100k. We bought our rig new for 32k.
Site rental is the same for a Park Model or RV. We leave it in the same site year to year. Very convenient.
Sailberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #13

We have had a seasonal site for almost 4 years. We bought a 2020 Jayco destination Trailer. Love the high ceilings and all the windows it offers. It also allows us to pull it off site should something ever happen at the campground and we no longer want to be there. With a park model it’s much more difficult to move if you decide to leave
Nc00009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #14

My wife and I have a 2016 Jayco 29RBDS Elite that we've been seasonal with now for 3 years. Absolutely FANTASTIC. Fits our needs to a tee. Rear bath. Full outside kitchen. All around great travel trailer. Good part is, if we get tired of the place we're at, easy to pick up and move.
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #15

We spent several winters at an RV park east of Gold canyon arizona. They had many Park models that were very nice. People were able to rent spaces by the year as we did. You could put your new park model on it or you could leave your trailer on it. A friend across the way from our site had a huge fifth wheel that I believe was the max, 430 ft. He pulled it with the Ford f-450. He of course had to hook it up because he had tanks and the usual electrical and water hookup. You can avoid that with a park model. I believe Park model limits are 400 ft in the US although I understand Florida allows 500 square feet. So there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #16

Resale alone I would go with a travel trailer or 5thwheel. Park models are NOT really designed to be moved. Yes they can be but are not built for it. If you go with a big 5thwheel you can get all but the same amenities for about the same price but it is mobile. With a park model you are limiting your Resales crowd. With a more mobile rv you can use it for either permanent spot or mobile use. Just my opinion good luck on your spot.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Thanks again for all of the ideas everyone. I am still waiting on if we had our application accepted or not. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

The office staff gave me the impression that we should know sometime this fall. In the past, returning seasonal site holders had until January to give their deposits for the following season. Supposedly the new ownership is going to move that date forward. I hope to know either way by Thanksgiving.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #18

Having had travel trailers and when we moved into the city we purchased a 32BHDS and put it on a seasonal lot. Things were great and then 2 years later we got a new neighbour from "hell". Soon after we pulled our trailer and put it on a different lot. Had we had a seasonal trailer, it would not have been so simple. Also, if the park changed hands and we were no longer "happy", we could easily pull it out and go elsewhere. I would go with a TT rather than seasonal. Just my 2 cents.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #19

Deposit date move forward ----humm ---- payment date is also due early
Old 09-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #20

Large TT's were built to haul consistently. Park models are MOVABLE modular homes and not road warriors. I would like the freedom to pick up and go without worry so TT for me. You'll get more space without a doubt with a park model as well as options. You get maneuverability with a large TT. A lot to weigh out between the two. Luxurious or Glamping?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote